Dublin to London aboard the Cloud—live—May 23, 2019 to June 4, 2019

RachelG

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

I was particularly good, and only brought 9 pairs, which I think showed great restraint.

Amy says, “incredible restraint, indeed!” and she doesn’t understand how you’ll make it with just 9-pairs.

Love your writing!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Amy says, “incredible restraint, indeed!” and she doesn’t understand how you’ll make it with just 9-pairs.

Love your writing!

You guys and gals crack me up with the shoes. I brought 2 pairs, and Chris brought 3, for our Ukraine trip which is 9 days long. Between the two of us, we won't bring 9 pairs on a cruise. 

Dublin looks pretty - it's been a while since we were there. 

NINE pairs?!! I'm looking at four pairs for my upcoming four week trip which includes the Wind cruise to northern Norway as well as time in the UK, and if it wasn't for the cold weather in the Arctic circle I'd only be bringing three pairs. And I'd be OK with two pairs.

Traveling with only hand luggage, as I do - I gave up checking bags as a mugs game - careful packing is essential! But so relaxing - after the very careful planning, actual packing and unpacking takes so little time I never have to worry about when to do it.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jpalbny said:

You guys and gals crack me up with the shoes. I brought 2 pairs, and Chris brought 3, for our Ukraine trip which is 9 days long. Between the two of us, we won't bring 9 pairs on a cruise. 

We’ll get you squared away before Antarctica. 😄

BTW... let Chris know we’ve been enjoying her pics from Ukraine over on FB.

5 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Traveling with only hand luggage, as I do - I gave up checking bags as a mugs game - careful packing is essential! But so relaxing - after the very careful planning, actual packing and unpacking takes so little time I never have to worry about when to do it.

You’ve got it down to a science!  In our case, we only relax when we know we have every possible scenario covered. 😊

And the joy of getting the No 25 bus from home to Tower Pier to join the Wind next week is that I can be prepared for all eventualities with just the 59 suitcases. 

Actually it will probably be only 47-OH is objecting. Unreasonable creature. 

Rp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

May 24, 2019–Iona and Lunga Islands, Scotland

The sea was very still for the first portion of the evening, and I slept well until 2 am when George couldn’t find the bathroom light and accidentally turned on the bright overhead lights.  I dozed back off, but then the ship started moving with a slow roll.  Something went crashing in the bathroom.  I tried to ignore it, but there was more noise.  The sliding shower door was not latched enough, and was sliding back and forth.  George was snoring away, oblivious to it, but my sleep was done for.  The sun was up, so I got up, got dressed , and went up to the panorama lounge for morning tea.  

We had just arrived at Iona, a 3 by 1.5 miles island, very rugged with lots of rocks, hills, and scrubby looking grass.  120 people still live there.  This was where Christianity was started in Scotland by St. Columba in the 6th century.

The morning was partly cloudy with a little wind and a bit chilly, in the upper 40s F.  The zodiacs took us ashore, a pretty chilly ride.  I was grateful for my layers and gloves.  We landed at a dock, right beside the Caledonian ferry.  They had given us the quietvox devices so that we could hear our local guide, who started telling us the history of the island, and going on, and on, and on.  After 20 minutes of just standing in one spot right where we had gotten off the zodiacs, some of us decided we had had enough (plus we were freezing) and started walking though the cute little village to the nunnery and abbey.  We only had 2 1/2 hours on the island, and we had wasted 30 minutes of it.  The whole point of the quietvox is that the group can walk and listen to the guide at the same time.

Anyway we explored the ruins of the nunnery, the well reconstructed abbey which is still a functioning church, and the surrounding countryside with lots of sheep, a few really hairy cows, some miniature ponies, and a family of geese.  Then George and I took off as he had spotting a high pretty steep hill.  We hiked up and up, through a huge field of gladiolus growing wild.  They were just starting to bloom.  In a couple of weeks, they will be quite a show.  We encountered several sheep on our climb, including some miniature ones that look like babies, except they have horns.  We made it to the top, with good views, then down a different route to the dock.  

The zodiac ride back was not as cold but pretty rough.  We had lunch at the pool grill.  George ordered a hamburger, which came out basically rare, not safe to eat.  My mozzarella wrap was good.  While we ate, the ship pulled up anchor and started sailing, very scenic with large and small islands on all sides, to Lunga.

No one has lived on Lunga Island for a very long time.  There are ruins of old houses, but the climate is just too harsh.  It is now the home to thousands of birds, mostly puffins, but also guillemots, gulls, and other seabirds.  The puffins nest in burrows on the ground, and nesting season is right now.  So we were cautioned to stay on the trails.

We took the zodiacs to the island, which is volcanic with sharp cliffs.  There was a rocky beach, but because of the tide, we were just to the right.  We could walk off the zodiac but then had to scramble up a very steep and slippery slope to get to the trail.  A lot of people just got off the zodiac and got back on or didn’t even get off.  The first scramble was challenging, but they gave plenty of help.  After the first 100 yards, it was much easier, a path through dense tussock grass.  

We climbed gently up-to the other side of the island.  Suddenly, there were birds everywhere,lots of guillemots and puffins, but other species as well.  I have seen a lot of birds, but never this many this close.  It was magical.  And even more magical, despite the large number of birds overhead, I did not get pooped on.  George was not as lucky, but he, of course, insisted on going to the very top.  

After 1 1/2 hours, which passed so quickly, we had to climb back down to the zodiacs.  A wonderful afternoon.

The captain’s welcome was next.  We did not attend, opting to arrive in the main dining room as soon as it opened.  The menu has not changed in years, but was very good.  The mushroom soup was great as ever.  George had his fois gras which he loves.  

Only complaint is there is a sewage smell in the hallways.  Not sure what that is about.

• Like 3

Thanks for your wonderfully detailed  Cloud on board reports Rachel (with George in support).  Also, appreciate you listing the Cloud Expedition leadership.   Considering EnglishUSA/David's glowing words about Moss Hills, look forward to cruising with him next month.

Your Dublin photos are beautiful, especially liked how you both framed the snaps

of yourselves.

Did y'all make ressies for La Dame while on board?  If so, look forward to reading your impressions.

Thanks, Rachel, for your wonderful recollections of Iona and Lunga, which we will seeing in a year. It seems like the highlights of this cruise are landscapes, history and birds which suits us perfectly. Question: did you bring your own boots or use those on the ship?

So glad you decided to hike up the hill in Lunga. Did you get close to the Puffin colony?

Have a wonderful day tomorrow and thereafter!

Edited by JohnGinPBG

Thanks all.  Wes, we will be in La Dame later in the cruise.  It has been getting mixed reviews, depending on who you talk to.

JohnGin, we wore our own low cut hiking shoes yesterday.  No need for boots thus far.  We were IN the puffin colony, as in I could have reached out and touched them.  I tried to post pics last night but failed.  Will try again now.

9 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Thank you Rachel for your wonderful reports.

RP, have you ever considered trunks?

Cabin trunks, yes indeed but I just know OH would get inside and refuse to come out. This morning he had the audacity to suggest that 2 cases between us would suffice. Stupid boy. We are off for the weekend where evening dress is required for both nights. We are taking 2 cases just for this. 

Iona is a wonderful place but to waste half an hour just standing by the landing stage is bizarre. I’m glad you  went off on a frolic oh your own, Rachel. 

Rp

• Like 1

May 25, 2019—Oban to Mallaig Scotland

We had a great sleep with totally calm seas.  No crashing noises or middle of the night bright lights.  But the sun comes up early here this time of year.  At 5:30 am, I was up too, despite good blackout drapes.

We were anchoring in a cute little harbor with the town of Oban on one side, a typical Scottish town with the big old church and lots of shops, hotels, and pubs.  On a hill further back was a ruined castle.  There were lots of sailboats anchored all round.  The weather was cool, about 50F with no wind and the sun just peaking through hazy clouds.

Our tour was to leave at 8:45, so I had time to go to the Pilates class offered at 8 am.    It was mat Pilates, and I was the only one there except for the instructor.  Thus a private class.  She was actually very good, and I think, relieved to have a student who actually does Pilates regularly.

We boarded the zodiacs for the short trip to shore.  The rain was moving in, and by the time we were onboard our buses for the all day tour, it was really coming down.  This continued all day.  The buses were good, very clean and comfortable, but the guide talked too much.  We learned the entire history of Scotland.

We visited Culloden, had lunch at Fort William, saw a series of locks for boats which were built in the 1800s but still work today, and went to Glenfinnan which is where the viaduct that the Hogwort’s express goes over in Harry Potter.  It would have been a pretty good tour except that most of it was outdoors, and it was raining hard all day.  We did see some lovely lush countryside, and it was very atmospheric in a highlands Scotland way.

Finishing at Mallaig, we set off to visit a local pub.  It was pouring rain, but we found one.  Since I hate beer, I had a Diet Coke, but everyone else sampled the local brews.  We walked back to the port where the Silversea guy informed us that we were the last back to the ship.  It was only 6 pm, and sailing wasn’t till 8:30, so we thought we were early.  We loaded into the zodiac and took off, only to have a red light at the harbor exit.  The ferry was fixing to leave, so we had to stop and wait.  Now we are in a totally open zodiac, so we are soaked and freezing.  But we sat there until whoever was in charge of traffic decided we could go.

Back on board, I gave my shoes to the butler to try and dry out, shed the wet clothes and dried off for dinner.  It was in the main dining room and again very good though the soup should have actually been hot.  I do not like lukewarm soup, particularly since the reason i ordered it was because I was cold.  But otherwise delicious, with a finish of some dark chocolate gelato that was outstanding.

• Like 3