NCL Joy....indoor pool?

Looking at Alaskan cruises right now for July...deciphering between Vancouver and Seattle, and also ships...last time I sailed on NCL was in 2011 when the Epic was brand new, and before that my first cruise in 2009 was on the Jewel, both were great experiences. Since then I’ve been on RCL, Celebrity...but as for ships in Alaska and itinerary I’m leaning towards the Joy this time. I’m iffy now because I have read not so great reviews on both Joy and NCL and my last experience with this line was 8 years ago...Joy looks like it has lots to do but being that Alaska is colder, I enjoyed the indoor pool on the Celebrity Solstice last time I was in Alaska...does the Joy have an indoor pool as well? This will also be a deciding factor for me 

If you just want warm water, the Vibe H20 has a large hot tub aft, protected from the wind, and there are a few small pools and hot tubs on the main pool deck, at each end. I saw people using them despite colder weather, so they're probably kept pretty warm, and not too crowded. 

Having been on the Joy last week, I'd say an indoor pool doesn't mean as much to me as the wealth of things to do on the ship in any sort of weather. I've been bored to death on Princess and HAL in Alaska, whereas I had the time of my life on the Joy, because of the "Footloose" show, the amazing "Elements" show, the comedy club, three different Beatles shows, country and rock bands in the various bars and on deck, and most importantly to me, the ocean promenade outside deck 8, with couches and stools to enjoy sunsets and whale watching and to walk around the ship and enjoy the beauty of Alaska.

Instead of reading reviews (which usually reflect negative attitudes rather than reality), I'd recommend going on youtube and searching for Norwegian Joy videos and filter it for the last month. They had a couple of 1-night cruises for travel agents, and several made comprehensive and helpful videos of the ship after refurbishment, so you can see what the pools and hot tubs look like and get a better idea if the ship is for you. Personally, I found it the most beautiful ship I've been on in terms or decor and art and use of space, and as I said, I found the entertainment the best I've seen on a ship, but as with most cruises, it's what you make of it, especially with the unpredictable weather of Alaska and the diverse crowds and dining options on a ship like the Joy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rj42 said:

I saw people using them despite colder weather, so they're probably kept pretty warm, and not too crowded. 

Unfortunately the large hot tub in Spice H2O is lukewarm.  I only went in it because it was the last day and high 60's while sailing towards Victoria.  I would not have used it in colder weather, but a few brave souls did!

17 hours ago, rj42 said:

If you just want warm water, the Vibe H20 has a large hot tub aft, protected from the wind, and there are a few small pools and hot tubs on the main pool deck, at each end. I saw people using them despite colder weather, so they're probably kept pretty warm, and not too crowded. 

Having been on the Joy last week, I'd say an indoor pool doesn't mean as much to me as the wealth of things to do on the ship in any sort of weather. I've been bored to death on Princess and HAL in Alaska, whereas I had the time of my life on the Joy, because of the "Footloose" show, the amazing "Elements" show, the comedy club, three different Beatles shows, country and rock bands in the various bars and on deck, and most importantly to me, the ocean promenade outside deck 8, with couches and stools to enjoy sunsets and whale watching and to walk around the ship and enjoy the beauty of Alaska.

Instead of reading reviews (which usually reflect negative attitudes rather than reality), I'd recommend going on youtube and searching for Norwegian Joy videos and filter it for the last month. They had a couple of 1-night cruises for travel agents, and several made comprehensive and helpful videos of the ship after refurbishment, so you can see what the pools and hot tubs look like and get a better idea if the ship is for you. Personally, I found it the most beautiful ship I've been on in terms or decor and art and use of space, and as I said, I found the entertainment the best I've seen on a ship, but as with most cruises, it's what you make of it, especially with the unpredictable weather of Alaska and the diverse crowds and dining options on a ship like the Joy. 

I had made up my mind last night and decided to go with the Joy! Although the benefits I get of captain’s club on celebrity are great, NCL has a good offer of a balcony stateroom with all 4 perks included. I guess I have to put the idea of an indoor pool behind me but I am sure when we depart Seattle and when we’re in Victoria, the weather will be warm enough for me to venture outside. I hear you...my last cruise was on Princess in February 2018 for a partial Panama Canal trip and boy oh boy were we ever bored...not thinking of going on another Princess ship and I haven’t been on HAL but I think it’ll be the same. I like NCL for the wealth of activities too. I am excited to be back on Norwegian and yes, I agree, reviews are mostly of negative attitudes and one stranger’s view could be completely opposite to yours. Thank you for your input