Joy dining questions

abcmom123

Just booked a cruise on the Joy for next year. Hubby wants to try out a big ship, but I love the Jewel class ships. I know there is no Great Outdoors venue on the Joy. Is there any place similar onboard the Joy? I've been watching videos on YT and I haven't seen any food stations on the pool deck. Is the buffet the closest place to grab a quick bite? I also saw on a video that you HAVE to make reservations at the Manhattan room to get in, is this true? Am I correct that Taste and Savor have the same menu, but more relaxed dress code? Is there any difference between Taste and Savor? Finally we enjoy having lunch in the dining room on embarkation day, will this be possible? Thanks in advance!

There are no food stations on deck. The buffet is the closest (the American Diner is one floor up but it's a la carte pricing.) The Observation lounge is one floor down from the buffet and pool, and it serves a light breakfast, lunch and has tea time snacks. 

You don't have to make reservations for Manhattan, but it's advised if you have a large party. Savor, Manhattan and Taste serve the same menus. I didn't notice a dress code difference between them, but I've read that there is one so it must be slight. I  ate at each one without thinking about dress and had no issues. I was very casual in jeans, sneakers, T-shirts and yoga pants. 

And yes, lunch is available in the dining room but I think only until 1:30 or 2 p.m. I ate in Savor on embarkation day. 

2 hours ago, abcmom123 said:

Just booked a cruise on the Joy for next year. Hubby wants to try out a big ship, but I love the Jewel class ships. I know there is no Great Outdoors venue on the Joy. Is there any place similar onboard the Joy? I've been watching videos on YT and I haven't seen any food stations on the pool deck. Is the buffet the closest place to grab a quick bite? I also saw on a video that you HAVE to make reservations at the Manhattan room to get in, is this true? Am I correct that Taste and Savor have the same menu, but more relaxed dress code? Is there any difference between Taste and Savor? Finally we enjoy having lunch in the dining room on embarkation day, will this be possible? Thanks in advance!

The buffet has outdoor seating on the pool deck. Manhattan, Taste, Savor have the same menu nightly. You can wear shorts in all restaurants for all meals except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro which require gents to have long pants (jeans, dockers). Reservations are not required. Most people walk up when they are hungry or when it meets their schedule. 

Actually, you can get a limited buffet breakfast in the American Diner some  mornings. I did embarkation lunch in Savor/Taste, although they seem to have only one lunch menu for the entire cruise (although with plentiful options).  The observation lounge also has snacks for most of the day. The best option for good anytime food is The Local on Deck 7. They have a soup of the day, salads, burgers, fish and chips, sandwiches, and great chicken wings, as well as a limited breakfast menu, and are open from morning until 4 am. I found The Local and dining rooms less stressful for lunch than the buffet, although I made quick trips to the buffet for their yummy cookies and good selection of scoop ice cream. 

I also enjoyed eating from the buffet out on the pool deck, which in Alaska had overhead heaters over the closer tables (Ringo eats his breakfast out there). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 11:33 PM, micha200 said:

There are no food stations on deck. The buffet is the closest (the American Diner is one floor up but it's a la carte pricing.) The Observation lounge is one floor down from the buffet and pool, and it serves a light breakfast, lunch and has tea time snacks. 

You don't have to make reservations for Manhattan, but it's advised if you have a large party. Savor, Manhattan and Taste serve the same menus. I didn't notice a dress code difference between them, but I've read that there is one so it must be slight. I  ate at each one without thinking about dress and had no issues. I was very casual in jeans, sneakers, T-shirts and yoga pants. 

And yes, lunch is available in the dining room but I think only until 1:30 or 2 p.m. I ate in Savor on embarkation day. 

Does this mean that there are, or will not be in warmer cruises, like to panama,  the poolside grills / bar b que burgers and chicken cooked up around lunch time?

And, usually there are bars around the pool that also serve lunch type foods, fries and burgers etc. 

Hope someone tells me that those staples on other Ncl ships are also on Joy🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

2 hours ago, DLB58 said:

Does this mean that there are, or will not be in warmer cruises, like to panama,  the poolside grills / bar b que burgers and chicken cooked up around lunch time?

And, usually there are bars around the pool that also serve lunch type foods, fries and burgers etc. 

Hope someone tells me that those staples on other Ncl ships are also on Joy🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

None of the big ships do pool-side BBQ. 

There are not bars around the pool that serve food. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

None of the big ships do pool-side BBQ. 

There are not bars around the pool that serve food. 

On other NCL ships I believe there was food served at a bar that wasn’t on the actual pool deck, but there were steps from the pool deck up to this bar that were easily accessed from the pool deck. ☹️ 

So the only food to get while sunning on the pool decks is to go to the garden cafe or other inside restaurant? That’s sad

and really sad is no more poolside bbq’s.  They were something we really enjoyed on NCL and missed having when we tried RCCL. 

Do they still do poolside bbq’s on the “jewel class” ships? 

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. Taste, Savor, The Local, Garden Cafe Buffet, and American Diner (extra charge) serve lunch on embarkation day. 

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. Taste, Savor, The Local, Garden Cafe Buffet, and American Diner (extra charge) serve lunch on embarkation day. 

Thank you