Fans - Not Allowed on RCCL ships? & extension cords

RCCL via Facebook told me that fans are prohibited but I can ask for a fan from a stateroom attendant when I arrive. However, I sail tomorrow 5/23 and I need a guaranteed fan for sleep. White noise apps don't do the trick. I have a small 6 inch desk fan, powered by USB. I read on these boards that people have brought even 12 inch fans without them being confiscated. I don't want to risk mine being taken. I have already emailed special needs and will call when they open shortly. Does customs confiscate or who is the "prohibited items" police, so to speak? I mean they allow curling irons but not a small fan?? I think the fan is less of a fire hazard than the curling iron!! tia

EDIT: Special needs told me to just bring the fan, it probably won't get confiscated in checked luggage. However, she told me extension cords are not allowed, even without the surge protector! I bought one that was "cruise approved" it literally has no switch.

Edited by resjes

I pack a table top fan in my carry on for every cruise and it has only been taken once and that was Grandeur out of Baltimore. I did get the fan back after the cruise.

I say take it and see what happens, knowing that they will give it back to you, if it is confiscated, in the terminal after you disembark.

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

We pack a 5 inch usb/battery operated fan every cruise and have never had an issue.  We put it in our checked luggage, not our carryon.

I've heard people have better luck with battery operated. Mine is not, but can be plugged into a laptop. Does that count LOL?

1 minute ago, resjes said:

I've heard people have better luck with battery operated. Mine is not, but can be plugged into a laptop. Does that count LOL?

Mine is usb too, I use the usb ports above the vanity that are found on some ships.  It does not have a cord to plug it into the wall though, just the usb or battery option.  It is made by O2 Cool and is in the seasonal area at CVS and in the fan section at Walmart.  

1 minute ago, spookwife said:

All power cords are now banned.  Semi recent change.  

Yeah, special needs said I could request one from the attendant..hopefully I get one. She said ohhh don't worry about the fan but became angry when I asked about the extension cord (no surge protector). 

As of a month ago we had no problem with either small 110 fans or small brown extension cords.  I run a cord from the desk over to the bed and plug both fans in with the end of the cord under the bed in the middle.  Fans go on the nightstands.  Noone has ever said a word in 30 cruises.

10 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

As of a month ago we had no problem with either small 110 fans or small brown extension cords.  I run a cord from the desk over to the bed and plug both fans in with the end of the cord under the bed in the middle.  Fans go on the nightstands.  Noone has ever said a word in 30 cruises.

Not sure what ship/port but you were very lucky not to have confiscated.  Really coming down hard on extension cords and similar - returned from Navigator out of Miami last month and a huge table full of confiscated items at disembarkation. 

8 hours ago, resjes said:

EDIT: Special needs told me to just bring the fan, it probably won't get confiscated in checked luggage. However, she told me extension cords are not allowed, even without the surge protector! I bought one that was "cruise approved" it literally has no switch.

A switch has nothing to do with being "cruise approved", that "approval" would be for being non-surge protected.  However, nearly all the power adapters that I've seen that are "cruise approved", especially the "Cruise On" multi-outlet and USB adapter, is in fact surge protected, and is definitely not "cruise approved".

• Like 1

We have always emailed special needs ahead of our cruises for an extension cord, distilled water (CPAP for the husband) and a box fan.  They are always in our room when we get there.  This last time when I emailed for our upcoming Allure cruise in September I was told that the ship does not provide fans and we should bring our own.  Seems odd since they have been providing them for years but we drive so bringing a full size fan is not really an issue.  I emailed again to clarify that it will not be confiscated and is in fact allowed and I was told that yes, we could bring it on board.  We did so on our one and only Carnival cruise so I suppose we will do it again on RCCL.  I plan to print out the email and bring it with us in case we get push back at the port though.

Sailed Navigator a few weeks ago, and had one non-surge protected extension cord in my carry on, and one in my checked bag.  Both were the simple brown cords.  They said all were banned when I arrived with my carry on and confiscated it. The one in my checked bag made it through although I didn't end up needing it.

After 103 cruises on many lines.....have always brought on a 6 outlet, fused, power cord.  Used mainly for a room deodorizer/nightlight, and for charging wall warts.  Never had a problem.  Latest was Carnival in March.  Have Grandeur in October.  We'll see and report back.

I take a 12"  electric desk fan on all cruises. I've never had a problem. The cabin is way too warm to sleep without a fan. 

I just checked the prohibited items list & fans aren't on it. 

Edited by Brit-Cruiser

For years I took a small 5" 110 electric  fan.  Last year I purchased a USB powered 6" fan and a USB powered alarm clock so I wouldn't need to worry about finding outlets. I also purchased a USB multi plug-in that allows me to plug in both of those items , plus cell phone and tablet to charge. As a bonus for packing purposes, the fan and alarm clock are much lighter than the electric powered models. I've been on 3 cruises with these and I'm glad I made the switch.

Barb