Shuttle between ship and Pier Gates

Snit13

Found a site this am which shows a shuttle from ship to pier gates.  Anyone know details?  After passing thru gates how far is the walk to the plaza with the duty free shops and a good restaurant?  Have been to St. Maarten quite a few times but always took Water Taxi to downtown.  Do not want to do that this cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Last January (2019) we rode a shuttle -- really a large golf cart -- from the ship to the plaza.  It ran every 15 minutes or so.  It was free and we tipped the driver.  For the return trip to the ship there is a shuttle stop in front of the visitor's center in the plaza.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:43 AM, Snit13 said:

Found a site this am which shows a shuttle from ship to pier gates.  Anyone know details?  After passing thru gates how far is the walk to the plaza with the duty free shops and a good restaurant?  Have been to St. Maarten quite a few times but always took Water Taxi to downtown.  Do not want to do that this cruise.

Never paid attention to any restaurants in the shopping area near the ships.  There are at least a couple bars and they may sell food.  But not too sure if there are any "good" restaurants there.

The one golf cart was always full of people during the first and last hours of the port call last time I was there. Even though my wife walked with a cane and could have used the help, could not get their attention any time.  The walk is basically a thousand feet from the gangway to the shops... give or take depending on your ship size and gangway location.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, PelicanBill said:

The one golf cart was always full of people during the first and last hours of the port call last time I was there. Even though my wife walked with a cane and could have used the help, could not get their attention any time.  The walk is basically a thousand feet from the gangway to the shops... give or take depending on your ship size and gangway location.

Yeah, that could be a real problem for my husband to walk that far.  Seems odd they don't just get a trolley or at least more golf carts!

Thank all of you who responded to my question.  There are 2 of us in a party of 14 who have mobility issues and it is good to know that at least a golf cart is available.  Never get off ship early or return to ship late so maybe will be ok.  I do not know why all of the ports do not provide this service.  Would love to be able to get off ship to shop and visit a local restaurant when I cruise but one time another passenger saw me struggling to get back to ship and ran ahead and brought a wheel chair from the ship.  I have been to St. Maarten many times but would love to spend a few of my $$$$ and help the local economy.

• Like 1