Do both occupants have to have the same level of drinks package

clianmel

Our sailing included the classic drink package for each of us, which will suit me fine, but I suspect that my wife would prefer the premium as she prefers wines (and quite good ones). Can you just upgrade one member or do both have to have the same level. Also if you start off with the classic but after 2 or 3 days find out that the premium works for you better is the upgrade pro-rated or do you have to pay for the full seven days. Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can upgrade just one package upon boarding.

Yes, the cost will be prorated based on the number of days left for the sailing.

Cheers and bon voyage

Even the wines on the premium package are not that great and there's not much of a selection .  You might be better off just paying the difference per glass between the classic and whatever she likes to drink.

If she likes better wines she should upgrade to the Premium package.  Although you can pay the difference between the Classic and the cost of a glass of higher priced wine it is a best option.

I like a glass of wine that is $20 per glass.  With the Premium package I pay the difference of $5 plus 20% - $6 per glass.  So 2 glasses wine at dinner cost $12. 

With the Classic package the difference for the glass is  $11 plus 20%  - $13.20.  2 glasses would cost $26.40. 

The $12 upgrade price per day + the extra for the 2 glasses is $24 per day.  Plus the sparkling water, smoothies, Martini Bar martini's make the Premium package better for us.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2019 at 1:37 PM, jelayne said:

If she likes better wines she should upgrade to the Premium package.  Although you can pay the difference between the Classic and the cost of a glass of higher priced wine it is a best option.

I like a glass of wine that is $20 per glass.  With the Premium package I pay the difference of $5 plus 20% - $6 per glass.  So 2 glasses wine at dinner cost $12. 

With the Classic package the difference for the glass is  $11 plus 20%  - $13.20.  2 glasses would cost $26.40. 

The $12 upgrade price per day + the extra for the 2 glasses is $24 per day.  Plus the sparkling water, smoothies, Martini Bar martini's make the Premium package better for us.

Thanks for the input although in my wifes' case the upgraded drinks would probably fall in the $11-$15 range but the number consumed would be greatly in excess of 2 per day.  Without seeing a price list and which wines are being offered there is no way to make a spreadsheet to help in the decision making. I guess we will look at the classic wine lists once on board ang go from there.

6 hours ago, clianmel said:

Thanks for the input although in my wifes' case the upgraded drinks would probably fall in the $11-$15 range but the number consumed would be greatly in excess of 2 per day.  Without seeing a price list and which wines are being offered there is no way to make a spreadsheet to help in the decision making. I guess we will look at the classic wine lists once on board ang go from there.

Several threads have current pics of menus (drinks/wines) and that will help you decide.

Search the Celebrity Boards. I know Jim posted pics on several threads in the last 4 weeks... one from his B2B and then one more recently of someone who asked for drink/bar/wine menus/pricing.

6 hours ago, clianmel said:

9 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Several threads have current pics of menus (drinks/wines) and that will help you decide.

Search the Celebrity Boards. I know Jim posted pics on several threads in the last 4 weeks... one from his B2B and then one more recently of someone who asked for drink/bar/wine menus/pricing.

The wine lists vary more from ship to ship and year to year than the beer sel3ction does, so Fogfog’s advice is good - try to find posts from the ship you are going on.

Wine by the bottle is another option in the dining rooms, though not the bars. They will cork the bottle and save it for the next evening if you don’t finish. Obviously this works better if there is more than one wine drinker, but is a good option for a group or special dinner. There are packages for by the bottle available as well, although I’ve never actually bought one.

DH and I like using our onboard credit to attend the Wines Around the World tasting. It is usually first sea day. We use as opportunity to taste some of the wines by the glass generally available onboard (not necessarily the best available, though), then we can make better choices in bars and at dinner.

We are big wine people, but we live in a state with limited wine availability. We usually only recognize a few of the wines by the glass, so their suppliers are very different from the distributors we have. Comparing the prices of the ones we know to the others, the by the glass are mostly mid-range grocery store wines.

Having said all that, we have good luck asking sommelier for recs. If you show interest, they can be quite helpful.

On 5/22/2019 at 10:04 AM, TFLG said:

Even the wines on the premium package are not that great and there's not much of a selection .  You might be better off just paying the difference per glass between the classic and whatever she likes to drink.

Wines are very subjective as to what is good and what is great. I would never tell someone that a wine is not good because tastes vary so much.😃

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

Wines are very subjective as to what is good and what is great. I would never tell someone that a wine is not good because tastes vary so much.😃

The wines with the premium package offered in the MDR are mediocre.  If you want a nice wine for dinner on a steak/prime rib night, get a couple of glasses in Cellar Masters and pay the difference and bring into dinner with you.

I have friends who are really into wines, and belong to wine clubs..  They have told me that what the wine costs doesn't determine how good it taste. Personally I don't drink wine because none of them taste good to me.😲

5 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

I have friends who are really into wines, and belong to wine clubs..  They have told me that what the wine costs doesn't determine how good it taste. Personally I don't drink wine because none of them taste good to me.😲

Not a big wine fan, but live in the Hunter Valley which is a wine making have, have friends and family in the business and your right price isn’t the determinative factor.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:41 AM, clianmel said:

Our sailing included the classic drink package for each of us, which will suit me fine, but I suspect that my wife would prefer the premium as she prefers wines (and quite good ones). Can you just upgrade one member or do both have to have the same level. Also if you start off with the classic but after 2 or 3 days find out that the premium works for you better is the upgrade pro-rated or do you have to pay for the full seven days. Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

No.  And, Yes.

Enjoy.

This thread threw up some really interesting replies for which I thank you. The later postings rightly expressed that wines are like food i.e. highly subjective. When I stated that my wife likes good wines I should have said that she was selective. The wines we keep at home are not expensive but inexpensive wines that we have settled on through trial and error I guess we can enjoy the trial and error system when on board. Once again thank you for your considered responses.