Butter on Carnival

sunonfire

Wow, who knew butter would be such a hot topic!  I think it could be solved by using a butter dispenser in the buffet.  Push a button and a single serving comes out. There are dispensers for salad dressing, etc.  I don't see why there can't be something that would work for butter.  For dining tables, a small dispenser of some type.

• Like 2

Interesting... I'd like to try the change they have implemented. Although I've never thought of the minor inconvenience outside of when it occurs, this article reminded me that those little butter pads in the buffet are always super cold and tear up the toast or whatever I'm trying to spread them on. 

I'm not surprised there are conflicting views on his FB post about it. Can't wait to see what people here have to say. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

Queue the outrage!!

Yes, seems like no one can adjust to something different anymore.  My family just goes and deals with what ever is there, however it is.

• Like 3

I would like to see the dispenser, but don’t think that will happen.  Don’t much care for the proposed bulk container, lots of ways to get contaminated, double dipped, etc. But I guess I will decide at the time if I think the crock has had too many hands in it.  Much like I bypass the salad dressing that someone just licked and touched. Yes, If I come by one minute later I won’t know...

Not that I like it better, but a sister line has switched to a bowl full of butter cubes with a pair of tongs.  (The cubes are usually too big, the tongs could get contaminated by dirty hands, but I don’t think folks will use tongs on their food and then back into the container as they might with butter knives). 

I do find it...interesting...how big of an issue this has become over on Johns page.  

• Like 2

Was on a B2B on the Conquest out of Ft. Lauderdale end of April early May this year. First time saw the butter change. It was on the buffet in a good sized bowl with a large serving spoon. On a tray on the sneeze guard above it was a tray with small white bowls. You could fill a small bowl, put it on your plate, and take it to the table with you. Didn't see a problem with it at all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Not that I like it better, but a sister line has switched to a bowl full of butter cubes with a pair of tongs.  (The cubes are usually too big, the tongs could get contaminated by dirty hands, but I don’t think folks will use tongs on their food and then back into the container as they might with butter knives). 

This is how we used to do it on NCL, we even had a machine that would cut the 5 lb block of butter into pats (not cubes) using hot wires, and then the pats were served in a bowl with tongs.

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

I like my own bowl of butter.  :classic_biggrin:

IMG_1178 sm.jpg

Good idea, but labor to produce thousands daily eliminates the savings on bulk vs pats.

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

This change is right up Carnival's alley.  It seems fine, though I call BS on John's suggestion that it'll save the environment.  It'll save a heck of a lot of money for Carnival to go to bulk serving versus individually wrapped servings.

I'll agree with you about it being an idea to improve the environment, but I will say that the mentioned contamination of food waste with paper/foil has led to some of the environmental violations that have been recorded by Carnival Corp ships over the last two years, and so they may be getting more sensitive to it.  As noted above, NCL used unwrapped pats cut from 5 lb blocks, and this does save a whole lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always asked for and received butter in the MDR.  It wasn't available on our Freedom cruise last month.  I had a cheese plate every night to use on the bread, but missed having butter.  

Of course it also meant not ordering baked potatoes.

I made a note to myself to take butter pats on our next cruise, since I don't see them as a prohibited item on Carnival's faqs.

A couple of years ago I got curious about butter and did some checking. 

It turns out unsalted butter is fine stored at room temperature for up to two weeks. Even better, salted butter is fine for up to 30 days. 

I grew up in the 1960s when doctors told people to eat margarine instead of butter. Of course, margarine is made with what is now known to be one of the unhealthiest things you can possibly eat, hydronated oil. Hydronated oil (Crisco) is a man-made oil that has an extra molecule of hydrogen added. To keep it simple, think of hydronated oil as very soft plastic, that you eat. Remarkably, hydronated oil refuses to rot, usually a bad sign of how healthy something is (think sugar too). The not rotting attribute of hydronated oils is how packaged cookies could have two-year shelf lives, and why it was so beloved to the packaged food industry.

Getting back to the point, there's no cook on earth that wants to use refrigerated butter or eggs, room temperature is far better and the flavor is better too. 

So sign me up for room temperature salted butter regardless of how you want to serve it! Soft butter and a croissant are about as good as it gets.

• Like 9

By the way, do yourself a favor if you use butter, and get one of these glass butter dishes, and for goodness sake leave it on the counter all the time! 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007VGS1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's a clear glass butter bowl with a glass top that's a perfect fit for the 8oz double stick size of Kerrygold butter. There's even enough length to slide in the next slab when there's still an inch of the old one left. The glass top is molded with a nice cow on it too, my kids love that.

Keep it on the counter next to the stove. There's nothing better than soft butter ready to go whenever you are!

In case you're wondering, Kerrygold is the best butter you can buy. It only comes from grass-fed cows in Ireland, and is many shades a darker yellow than Land-O-lakes, which looks lily white next to Kerrygold. The gold color comes from the beta carotene in the grass, which is very healthy. Regular butter is from grain-fed cows and isn't nearly as healthy. 

If you have to be an expert on something, you could do worse than choosing butter! 🙂

Edited by Squadleader
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squadleader said:

A couple of years ago I got curious about butter and did some checking. 

It turns out unsalted butter is fine stored at room temperature for up to two weeks. Even better, salted butter is fine for up to 30 days. 

I grew up in the 1960s when doctors told people to eat margarine instead of butter. Of course, margarine is made with what is now known to be one of the unhealthiest things you can possibly eat, hydronated oil. Hydronated oil (Crisco) is a man-made oil that has an extra molecule of hydrogen added. To keep it simple, think of hydronated oil as very soft plastic, that you eat. Remarkably, hydronated oil refuses to rot, usually a bad sign of how healthy something is (think sugar too). The not rotting attribute of hydronated oils is how packaged cookies could have two-year shelf lives, and why it was so beloved to the packaged food industry.

Getting back to the point, there's no cook on earth that wants to use refrigerated butter or eggs, room temperature is far better and the flavor is better too. 

So sign me up for room temperature salted butter regardless of how you want to serve it! Soft butter and a croissant are about as good as it gets.

No cook on earth that doesn't want to use refrigerated eggs? Are you kidding me? Check every restaurant in this country. The eggs and butter are in the fridge. Butter is one thing, but eggs can contain salmonella which multiplies at room temperature. The only time you use room temperature eggs is for certain recipes in which you bring them to room temperature by taking them out of the fridge for a safe length of time. 

Margarine isn't as bad as the internet makes it seem. The pro it has over butter is that often times, it has healthy unsaturated fat added in. Butter is full of saturated fat and calories. Neither product is "healthy" though. 

• Thanks 1

I must say I saw the large bowl of butter with a (single) knife at the buffet on my very recent Horizon cruise. It was my first Carnival cruise and I thought maybe just the way Carnival served it. It did seem a bit "gross" to me.   I requested wrapped pats of butter, but was told they were not available. 

I hope they determine some better serving approach.  I do love my butter and proudly join the outrage. 

😋 😉

Otherwise great cruise. 🛳️

Happy cruising!

1 hour ago, Doggielover68 said:

Check every restaurant in this country. The eggs and butter are in the fridge. Butter is one thing, but eggs can contain salmonella which multiplies at room temperature.

That's a very optimistic view, and I hope that it works out for you.

• Like 2

I'm trying to get worked up about this, but I guess I really don't care.  Is this because Carnival wants to save money? Ok. Are the wrappers really clogging disposals? Ok. I seriously don't think it will have any effect on my cruise. I only user butter at breakfast for my grits

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Squadleader said:

By the way, do yourself a favor if you use butter, and get one of these glass butter dishes, and for goodness sake leave it on the counter all the time! 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007VGS1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

Where I live, that butter would be a pool dripping on to the floor in 30 minutes:classic_wink:

9 hours ago, purplephenom said:

This just seems like a weird solution. I'm not saying I  could come up with a better, well liked one, just this one is weird.

I would suggest having a crew member stationed at a designated "butter station" and keep the butter refrigerated in a tub, and he can cut chunks out based off of how much people want — kind of like an ice cream parlor.