Butter on Carnival

sunonfire

2 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

I would suggest having a crew member stationed at a designated "butter station" and keep the butter refrigerated in a tub, and he can cut chunks out based off of how much people want — kind of like an ice cream parlor. 

So, butter police is what you're saying. It could happen. 

• Like 1

I don't see the big fuss.  They've had peanut butter and jelly in tubs with a serving spoon on our last two or three cruises and it never bothered anybody.  

As for double dipping, it's not like you are using your own utensil or dipping your bread or pancake in the butter.  

• Like 1

Well personally I dont care as long as I have butter or even margarine.  As far as people jumping off a cliff over how it is served seems a little on the outlandish side.  Restaurants in the US sometimes use the tub and knife such as Golden Corral.  And as far as other people touching the knife they touch everything around you.  Most of you dont got any cooties. I do worry about illnesses on a cruise and I am very careful as to what I touch like the hand rails but sometimes i have to bite the bullet and get some ice cream.  But I wash my hands a lot on a cruise and really dont care for the sanitizers but will use them entering food areas. But all and all we are all living in a close environment on a ship and there is a risk.  We as passengers should do what we can to minimize this risk and be considerate of others.  

9 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

So, butter police is what you're saying. It could happen. 

Can the bacon police also handle the butter?  Or would we need 2 different police officers?  If you go overboard on bacon, do you get less butter?  If you skip the bacon, do you get more butter?  Can you plead your case to get more butter and bacon? 

:-)  I'm completely joking, but I'm just amused by this whole situation.  

• Haha 2

My only issue is that a lot of people don't realize when there is communal butter that you are supposed to take some, put it on your plate, then when you sit down use your knife to butter your <whatever>. There will be people who use the provided knife to butter while standing there, then put the knife back. I think that's the issue.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, purplephenom said:

you guys have never tried to spread the cold butter on toast and ended up with torn toast?  I thought that was a cruising tradition lol.  

Not at breakfast, but it is tradition for me to attempt to smoosh cold butter chunks onto my bread at dinner in the MDR.

28 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Not at breakfast, but it is tradition for me to attempt to smoosh cold butter chunks onto my bread at dinner in the MDR.

at least the bread at dinner doesn't fall apart so easily.  Usually by day 3 or so I just give up on toast because it ends up in pieces 

3 hours ago, buddylover said:

NO, not on CCL........hey, there are tablecloths in this pic???

forget the butter..what's going on with the bread in that pic? is it in a napkin pouch?  First time i've seen one of those.  This thread is just amazing me today lol 

In British restaurants, butter is served in individual curled servings made with a special kitchen gadget.  Usually a saucer of several will be on the sideboard at breakfast at a B&B, for example.  Besides being very pretty, they could be frozen and doled out in single units or served 3-4+ in a little ceramic ramekin (which Carnival already has in the galley).

Oh my God, a massive butter crisis on Carnival ships! How can I ever cruise again until this massively inhumane "cutback" gets handled correctly?  First they mess with my pillow chocolates and now they are messing with my butter. I cannot believe that they would take away foil wrapped rock hard butter patties and replace it with a bowl of soft butter on the lido serving bar, a serving spoon, and little bowls that you put your desired amount of butter into. If this doesn't eliminate all of the happiness of cruising I do not know what will. If they don't change this immediately I will never go on Carnival again. The horror of it all is unbearable.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

I cannot believe that they would take away foil wrapped rock hard butter patties and replace it with a bowl of soft butter on the lido serving bar, a serving spoon, and little bowls that you put your desired amount of butter into.

If that were the case there would be no problem.

The problem is that bowl is not filled with soft butter.  It's filled with something soft, but it's certainly not butter.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

Oh my God, a massive butter crisis on Carnival ships! How can I ever cruise again until this massively inhumane "cutback" gets handled correctly?  First they mess with my pillow chocolates and now they are messing with my butter. I cannot believe that they would take away foil wrapped rock hard butter patties and replace it with a bowl of soft butter on the lido serving bar, a serving spoon, and little bowls that you put your desired amount of butter into. If this doesn't eliminate all of the happiness of cruising I do not know what will. If they don't change this immediately I will never go on Carnival again. The horror of it all is unbearable.

Picture a small spoon or knife in a bowl of very soft, whipped "butter" ...  and there are no "little bowls" to put the butter in, not that it would make any difference (if it was already out in little bowls you could take -- like the cream cheese -- that would be better). 

No one said it is going to stop them from cruising.... just could be more sanitary. And as mentioned the butter itself is a bit strange. And, anyway, this is fun to talk about. 

I'm hoping this serving approach does not "spread" to other cruise lines. Ha ha! 

Have fun, all. 

😉

On 5/24/2019 at 11:19 AM, mets07 said:

Picture a small spoon or knife in a bowl of very soft, whipped "butter" ...  and there are no "little bowls" to put the butter in, not that it would make any difference (if it was already out in little bowls you could take -- like the cream cheese -- that would be better). 

No one said it is going to stop them from cruising.... just could be more sanitary. And as mentioned the butter itself is a bit strange. And, anyway, this is fun to talk about. 

I'm hoping this serving approach does not "spread" to other cruise lines. Ha ha! 

Have fun, all. 

😉

Sorry, but on the Conquest 2 weeks ago, there were little bowls, just like the ones used for cream cheese, on the sneeze guard shelf right above the butter bowl. We took the bowls and spooned the butter we wanted into them and put them on our plate. 

On 5/23/2019 at 7:33 AM, fyree39 said:

Me, too.  We live in the desert with evaporative cooling rather than air conditioners.  Our house cools down to 85 degrees when it's 105 or more outside.  Any butter left on the counter would be completely melted.

I use a butter bell for my butter at home.  It's fine unless the house or kitchen hits 90 degrees, at that point the butter falls into the water in the butter bell.  Most of the time though it works fine.  

What happens when you try and smuggle butter on board and the little foil packets show up on the xray?

Will you have to go to the naughty room on the last day to collect it?

Now that would be embarrassing.😵

• Like 1