Don't tip the cruise director?

Scootoir

17 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

And mine was a playful go along for it...I swear, I rarely knock on the engine room with a $20 trying to tip someone.

Oh crap, from your earlier post I was beginning to think that I wasn't alone. 😭

On 5/23/2019 at 7:03 PM, MicCanberra said:

Australia and Britain do not have a tipping culture. Many do tip when travelling to countries that do have a tipping culture, but also many do not (for whatever their personal reason). The Auto Gratuities on any cruise are sufficient.

It wasn't about the culture, it was about the high amount of funny British and Australian CDs on board CCL. 

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It wasn't about the culture, it was about the high amount of funny British and Australian CDs on board CCL. 

Okay, I agree about the CDs, it seems they employ certain nationalities for different positions on the ship. The CD is one example, along with Captains, Food and bev managers, cabin stewards, dining room staff, etc.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:53 PM, capriccio said:

I agree with everyone's comments about tipping - or more accurately, not - tipping a cruise director on an ocean cruise.  At least one river cruise line - Viking - provides guidance on how much to tip the program director.  I think other non-inclusive river cruise lines do likewise. 

Yes, we've sailed with Viking River Cruises, and the programme director was tipped.  

However, on an ocean cruise, the Cruise Director is a senior member of the crew, responsible for the whole entertainment department, so it's not appropriate to tip him or her