Cruise Critic Community
beaconlight

Are fights common on Princess?

I am thinking about trying Regal Princess. I have been looking at some youtube videos with fighting becoming a real problem with Carnival, NCL and a little on RCI. I just wanted to know, if the odds of this is lower on Princess?

Closest I’ve ever seen was a woman throw a drink in a guys face, no idea if they were together or not.

or when some clown abused me for not being in my wheelchair, and I though Mrs G was gunna kill them.

Saw 2 women  fight in the hallway  by the laundry room over one taking the others clothes  from the dryer . Security  officer said laundry  room  fights are not unusual .

In 17 cruises on Princess, I’ve never seen any altercations - verbal or physical. 

Princess targets a slightly higher end clientele and doesn't offer free booze very often.  I imagine fights will happen, but not very often, and with a lower frequency than most other comparable lines...

I have never seen a fight.  Closest husband and wife arguing over lost key card.  

well over 60 cruises over past 40 years... never saw one fight... maybe things have changed, now we cruise Princess more than other lines, 27 Princess cruises. 

Besides breaking up an occasional squabble between my children I have never seen a single fight in nearly 30 Princess cruises. I don’t think you need to be worried about that. 

Recently on a 7 day Caribbean Princess, there was a major fight in the next door cabin.  We heard chairs or furniture tossed against the wall, a woman crying and screaming and a man screaming   I called security and they came over and it finally stopped.  I thought the guy was going to kill this woman.  The next day I passed the cabin and the steward told me that there is a lot of damage to the cabin and he's reporting it to his boss.  This is the first fight I've witnessed or heard in 18 Princess cruises.  

Pretty rare but anytime you get 3000 plus people together for an extended visit the possibilities increase quite a bit.

There are always those ones that you don't see as well.

Thank you all for your responses. My last cruise was on Navigator of the Seas. There was one incident where I felt a woman was about to start a fight with a complete stranger for walking by her. However, that person had someone with her that was looking out for her and gave that woman a look of don't even think about it.

Posted (edited)

As Princess becomes more Carnivalized and more passengers from Carnival are found straying towards other cruise lines, the onboard demographic has the potential to shift slightly which could possibly lead to an increase in altercations amongst passengers.

We’re sailing with thousands of different people from different backgrounds. When dealing with the general public, people and situations are unpredictable.

Keep in mind though, not everyone on Carnival will get into an altercation and my post is not meant to suggest such.

Edited by xDisconnections

We also haven't witnessed situations of that kind. There are drunk passengers of course, but never seen anyone fighting.

Saw a guy throw a drink in the face of another guy over seat saving in the Princess Theatre....

15 cruises, no fights....although we took a short Mexican cruise that was sailing from LA and VERY inexpensive (I think it was a promotion that credited your cruise cost toward another cruise? Or something like that....) and if it were to happen, it would have been on that cruise with that demographic. 

Princess is definitely NOT Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean, at least where we have cruised. Not sure about the Caribbean, since we haven’t. 

I’ve never seen any physical altercations. Occasionally I’ve seen a couple quietly arguing or sneering at each other in public. But heck... even my husband and I have had our spats on vacation at times. 🙂

But, on the whole, I have found Princess cruises to be pretty calm and congenial. Most of the people we’ve interacted with have been very friendly. My husband (due to his job) has a keen eye for that kind of stuff, and he feels very safe and at ease on Princess.

Certainly, it could happen. But I think it’s unlikely, and would be a very isolated incident if it did.

We have spent far more than 1000 days/nights on cruise ships (including over 200 days on Princess) and have never witnessed a real fight!  That being said, since the mass market cruise lines started promoting "all you can drink" packages we have seen quite a few passengers who had issues with booze.  Some folks tend to become aggressive when they have too much to drink.  If things get out of hand the Captain can have the disrupters put off the ship at the next port and we have heard some tales of this kind of action.  We have witnessed two passengers tossed off RCI cruises (behavior problems but no fighting).

Hank

We saw two men get into a fight at the buffet on the Regal in February.  One started throwing food at the other - luckily it was quickly broken up.  I wasn't close enough to see more. 

9 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

As Princess becomes more Carnivalized and more passengers from Carnival are found straying towards other cruise lines,

LOL, that might be me, but I understand you didn't MEAN anything by it....

That said, I have been on 6 Carnival cruises, 1 Royal Caribbean, 1 plus 1 upcoming on Princess.  All except 1 in the Caribbean, which usually trends to a younger demographic too, and I have never seen 1 fight.  I'm sure they happen and in today's culture where everyone has a camera on them at all times, it's probably going to get caught on tape when it does happen.  Just remember there are hundreds of cruises with thousands of passengers, so in perspective probably relatively few fights.

After 400 days on Princess ships I can say that fights are a very rare occurrence - I would not worry about it

I fight to stay away most nights while on board, but other than that....

Biggest fights we see are arguments over the answers at the Trivia games.  Not always passenger to passenger but sometimes between the cruise director and a passenger.  Never physical however

I’m happy to report we’ve never seen any fights on Princess! On a 5 night Caribbean cruise, we did have a bad experience where a very drunk lady reached out to my husband with one hand and me with the other and grabbed us very inappropriately in a crowded elevator, but I’ve thankfully never encountered any behavior like that on any other cruise! We appreciate the serenity of Princess.

With almost 10 years of cruising Princess, I have never seen or heard anything out of the ordinary.  The age bracket is up there, so no "spring breakers" taking over the ship.  I would say the shorter the cruise, the more chances of something happening, as some people think they have to cram 10 days of drinking into 5, but the longer the cruise, the lower the chances...but never say never.  Carnival vs Princess....apples vs oranges