Cruise Critic Community
beaconlight

Are fights common on Princess?

3 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

On all our Princess cruises (and other cruises) we have never seen a fight, drunken pax or even two adults in a heated disagreement.  

Same goes for us. Almost 350 days sailing now on Princess. Same goes for our voyages on Regent and HAL. No shouting matches either. Closest to it was years ago on HAL when one or two husbands persisted in yelling demands at their wives during shore excursions. You know the type, probably women beaters as well. They pushed a lot of other guests to their limit with that behavior. One of those guys was always late getting back on the coach during shore excursions too.     

22 hours ago, beaconlight said:

I am thinking about trying Regal Princess. I have been looking at some youtube videos with fighting becoming a real problem with Carnival, NCL and a little on RCI. I just wanted to know, if the odds of this is lower on Princess?

on over 20 cruises with Princess have never seen a fight.  One over 10 cruises with HAL have never seen a fight.  On 2 cruises with Royal caribbean no flghts.

I almost expect fighting on carnival and NCL for the drinking level that takes place.  Also,  when Princess runs the drinks included deal and a lot of people sign up, I expect a fight at some time or another.  I was on a ship where at 10 AM most people seemed sloshed from the drinking being included and  I was disappointed.

I forgot about the "laundry room wars." Never saw one myself, but my wife who did the laundry before we earned "free" used to talk about some pretty heated arguments taking place over machine use. One story went that an old boy would sit there while his wife went about doing other things. When the dryer got finished he wouldn't take the stuff out but wait until she returned, then got mad if someone else did so. Another guy, also well into his 80s did that, they almost came to blows as nobody was supposed to touch his wife's skivvies. 

One time we were invited to dinner with the cruise director, who was pretty good comic as well as an outstanding director. During dinner someone mentioned the laundry room battles. He said "hey" three unwritten rules on a ship, no politics, no religion and no laundry room discussion.  

In all my cruises, I have never been in the laundry rooms.  On back-to-back cruises, I have taken all my dirty laundry to a "fluff and fold" laundromat near the dock on turn-around day, but for a 7 to 11 day cruise, I've managed to avoid doing laundry.

Someone recently started a thread about "how long do you wait before emptying someone's machine" and that was the first time I'd even considered this issue.  

I guess laundry room fights are even more likely to break out on a cruise ship than in a college dorm, because of entitlement attitudes from people who don't normally use laundromats and who are not familiar with laundromat etiquette, but I also see no need for doing laundry on a seven to ten day cruise -- my suitcase is large enough for that!

I haven't experienced fights on 44 Princess cruises.  But twice, I have been confronted with obnoxious behavior at LAX, on my way home.  I avoided being in conflict with the aggressive individuals, mainly by retreating at DW's insistence.

OK, no fights on Princess, but check out another recent thread about screaming kids in the room next door.  There's some kindling there. Ugh.

Hi everyone,

Again, I really do appreciate the responses. As I stated before, after watching some videos I am getting concerned about cruising in general. I love and need that peace that come from being on the ocean. I started cruising as a child in early 90s' It was such a upscale classy enjoyable experience even on Carnival and it seems to be gradually declining.  There were a few situations on my last RCI cruise, that could have been like some of these videos and it would have been for no good reason(just plain ignorance). That is why I am looking to Princess, Celebrity or HAL for future cruises.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, JEH said:

Saw 2 women  fight in the hallway  by the laundry room over one taking the others clothes  from the dryer . Security  officer said laundry  room  fights are not unusual .

Ditto I seen that a couple of times. 😳

Tony

Posted (edited)

First, none of those videos are from Princess. 🙂

Second, the atmosphere and behavior depicted in those videos is so polar opposite from how Princess is. I've never seen anything even a tiny fraction of that.

Princess has somewhat of a reputation for being an "old folks" cruise. Which, funny enough, is why my husband and I started sailing with Princess in our 20's! We aren't partiers, don't drink much, and really wanted quiet, refined relaxation. We've never been bored on Princess, and there's plenty of entertainment. But we've also found it so calm and relaxing, the passengers and crew incredibly friendly, and totally opposite of those videos. 

Edited by Dani24

I fight to get my pants over my stomach every morning but I guess that's not the kind if fight you were asking about!!   😎

1 hour ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

I fight to get my pants over my stomach every morning but I guess that's not the kind if fight you were asking about!!   😎

I fight to get out of bed, most days

6 hours ago, Dani24 said:

First, none of those videos are from Princess. 🙂

And that's the main reason why we don't sail Carnival in the first place.

Who needs that sort of crowd. :classic_rolleyes:

IMHO, it is a bit naive to believe that these behaviors cannot happen in a certain place or cruise line. They can and do, but are very rare.

The worst I have seen were 2 elderly people screaming, fists up on Celebrity. Neither had been drinking (know this because we asked 😊). If I recall correctly it was over saved chairs.....😯

I wouldn't be concerned on any cruise line really. 

Out of curiosity, I searched YouTube for fights on Princess. At first I thought I was going to come up empty handed... but then I stumbled across this video of a bunch of Princess passengers throwing punches:

Just interested in your thoughts... I arrive at the theatre early and take my preferred seating area, I am by myself because my husband may not care for that evenings performance, and it is expected that I will move from my seat to accommodate guests arriving much later, so they can sit together.  I have often been asked not just to move a seat or two, but to move rows.  I usually ignore the requests and stay put, but on my last cruise a “gentleman” stood directly in front of me so I could not see beyond him.  This in my opinion was bullying to the extreme, I just got up and walked out of the theatre absolutely ropeable.  I missed the show I had wanted to see and it really did upset me.  

I would just like to know what you would do in the same circumstances ?  

42 minutes ago, Kangakid said:

Just interested in your thoughts... I arrive at the theatre early and take my preferred seating area, I am by myself because my husband may not care for that evenings performance, and it is expected that I will move from my seat to accommodate guests arriving much later, so they can sit together.  I have often been asked not just to move a seat or two, but to move rows.  I usually ignore the requests and stay put, but on my last cruise a “gentleman” stood directly in front of me so I could not see beyond him.  This in my opinion was bullying to the extreme, I just got up and walked out of the theatre absolutely ropeable.  I missed the show I had wanted to see and it really did upset me.  

So let me understand.  This "gentleman" was standing prior to the show.  We assume he was waiting for somebody and stood so he would be seen.   And you left before the show?   And just because he was standing you think that is bullying?  What would we do?  If this all happened prior to the beginning of the  show we would do nothing and probably not even pay it any attention.  Once the lights went down and the show started, if he was still standing we would have quietly asked him to sit down.

Hank

56 minutes ago, Kangakid said:

How was he standing and not interfering with other's views as well?  Was he standing where there was a seat or were you in the front row?   Did you say anything to him (Ie ask him to move?)   I find it hard to believe but sometimes people are really that oblivious and we would have simply asked him to move or sit down if he was standing directly in front of us like that. 

The closest thing I personally experienced to a fight was a woman yelling at me in the theater of the old Tahitian Princess.  Due to the small theater set-up/poor sight lines, my husband and I would arrive early for shows.  We usually were the first there and sat up front.  Once when my husband went to the restroom, a woman started berating me.  She was complaining that my husband's height (6 ft 4 inches) blocked her view.  Despite arriving after us, she wanted my husband & I to move to the back of the theater.  After about a minute of verbal abuse, I turned around and told her very strongly to SHUT UP.   I have never had any other problems on Princess.

Some serious injuries have occurred from brawls because of over use of  liquor  .Imo over abuse of liquor on any where is dangerous ;but ,especially on a cruise ship  . That being said ,we have heard & seen some abuses  over our 83 cruises  ,mainly HAL & Celebrity & RCL  ;but ,it is very limited . You are in a small city on a cruise ship & things do happen  .But ,lets face it  things of that nature happen on land as well  .It is how you handle it that counts 

Been witness to 2 fights & 1 almost fight:

1. S and his boyfriend had a loud verbal disagreement..... S wanted to listen to strings / bf wanted them to both go to pool. S won / BF apologized to me (grandma)

2. I sat in a row that was being saved & wouldn't move. Then I made things worse as I had 2 others sit. So the man saving the row wound up 3 chairs short / too bad / so sad. 

I agree it is about how you handle it.  One time, on a Hawaii cruise, a lady started yelling at a man for snoring, before a morning presentation started in the theater.  She actually yelled at him to go to his room!  The man being abused was a dignified Asian man, and he calmly said oh please, madame, don't say that.  The lady eventually stopped, but my goodness.

As I menioned before, watch out for LAX, if you fly from there.  Maybe people are grumpie from the traffic.

Not a fight but an argument that could have ended differently....

We live by the rule of no discussion of religion or politics with strangers and wish others would too.

We were on a private excursion in Sagenuay Quebec seated in the front seat in 2014. Within 15 minutes we had learned all about the gentleman (using the term loosely) sitting behind us because he volunteered it to the entire van load of folks (born Canadian, moved to the US years ago).

At one point the guide gave a little talk about the importance of blueberries to the local economy (BTW they are absolutely delicious) and very proudly said that they had even provided some to the White House. The gentleman behind us said "should have put poison in them." The guide didn't hear and asked him to repeat it which he had no problem doing - loud enough for the entire van to hear. I said quietly to him that in this day and age a comment like that against any sitting (or for that matter, former) president was stupid.

As we got off the van at the next stop he (a very big guy) got in my face and said "I bet you're some idiot liberal." Shaken, I replied that I was a voter and Americans could remove any president they didn't like every 4 years. My very quiet husband wheeled around and looked him in the eye, barely controlling his anger, and said "Back off. I worked for 35 years for presidents some of whom I liked and some I didn't like to ensure that you live in peace." He got flustered and walked away. We saw (and ignored) him later on in different locations on the ship almost always being loud and pushy - I guess he was just that type of person.

19 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Not a fight but an argument that could have ended differently....

We live by the rule of no discussion of religion or politics with strangers and wish others would too.

We were on a private excursion in Sagenuay Quebec seated in the front seat in 2014. Within 15 minutes we had learned all about the gentleman (using the term loosely) sitting behind us because he volunteered it to the entire van load of folks (born Canadian, moved to the US years ago).

At one point the guide gave a little talk about the importance of blueberries to the local economy (BTW they are absolutely delicious) and very proudly said that they had even provided some to the White House. The gentleman behind us said "should have put poison in them." The guide didn't hear and asked him to repeat it which he had no problem doing - loud enough for the entire van to hear. I said quietly to him that in this day and age a comment like that against any sitting (or for that matter, former) president was stupid.

As we got off the van at the next stop he (a very big guy) got in my face and said "I bet you're some idiot liberal." Shaken, I replied that I was a voter and Americans could remove any president they didn't like every 4 years. My very quiet husband wheeled around and looked him in the eye, barely controlling his anger, and said "Back off. I worked for 35 years for presidents some of whom I liked and some I didn't like to ensure that you live in peace." He got flustered and walked away. We saw (and ignored) him later on in different locations on the ship almost always being loud and pushy - I guess he was just that type of person.

Agree that avoiding politics and religion can go a long way towards keeping things pleasant for everyone.

On our honeymoon cruise we were sailing when McCain announced Palin as his running mate. While I am very interested in politics, I was deliberately disengaging from the news while on our trip so I hadn't really heard about it just yet. One night at dinner we were seated at a table for 2 (Anytime Dining), and there was a French couple at the table next to us. On this ship, the two-tops were separated but close enough to converse with the tables next to you, and occasionally we'd enjoy a nice visit with our "neighbors". Not this couple. They quickly identified us as Americans and started pestering us about the "news". The man in particular would NOT let up on it! I tried to make it politely clear I wasn't interested in the conversation, but he took it as an opportunity to bash American politics and share his strong opinions about the election. It was incredibly uncomfortable.

And another time we ate breakfast in the MDR and shared a table with about 6 strangers. The experience was pleasant until about halfway through when two ladies started talking religion, and dominating the conversation with it. My husband and I are not religious, so we were just finishing our meal and trying not to engage any more in the conversation, but the women kept trying to draw us in and ask us uncomfortable questions about our "beliefs". I didn't want to be rude and just up and walk away abruptly, so it took some effort to tactfully dismiss ourselves from the table. 

I love a good debate or controversial topic... but I've also learned (sometimes, admittedly, the hard way) that not everyone does. Or they may not be in the mood for it at the time. If you're going to get controversial, at least keep taking the pulse of your crowd to make sure it's welcome. Otherwise, you're just a conversational bully.

4 hours ago, Dani24 said:

Out of curiosity, I searched YouTube for fights on Princess. At first I thought I was going to come up empty handed... but then I stumbled across this video of a bunch of Princess passengers throwing punches:

Those poor abused balloons!

😂

I went looking last night, too, and that was also the only one I found regarding Princess.

That's the main reason why we don't cruise with Carnival - their patrons.  That's the only place I've seen a fight.  Never, ever on Princess.

13 hours ago, Kangakid said:

Just ignore them.  I often go to the theater shows alone, and I, too have  a favorite area, up front and to the left.  Only once has anyone hinted that they have a group coming, as though I should move.  I ignored them and eventually the lights went down and the show started...  🙂🍸🎤🎼🎹🎺🎻🌠🎆🌌📽🎥🎙🗃🌙🌛