Amtrak to Newark and hotel

1 hour ago, Luvsdaislands said:

We will be catching the Amtrak from DC to Newark Penn, I see there is a Hilton Hotel that is very nearby the hotel.  Is there any other hotels in that area?  Are there restaurants and wine stores close by? 

The Hilton (soon to be a Doubletree) is connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk so it’s very convenient.  I have stayed at the Robert Treat which was a nice budget hotel with free WiFi, free breakfast, and a free shuttle from Newark Penn.  It is on a nonresidential side street fronting on a park.  Inexpensive cab ride from the station if you don’t want to wait for the shuttle. Google Ironbound Restaurants for a list of Spanish/Portuguese restaurants nearby.  Don’t know about any specific wine stores nearby, but I know you will be able to buy wine.  Typically wine in N.J. is sold in stores that hold liquor licenses.  Perhaps someone who lives in NJ can explain the exact rules about where wine can be sold.

Also took Amtrak and stayed at the Hilton Newark Penn Station two weeks(yes soon to be Doubletree) ago. Took NJ transit into Penn Station NYC. PATH also available. Just get back before 930pm if you want to use the enclosed bridge. Better and safer than walking the street.

On 5/28/2019 at 3:44 PM, PelicanBill said:

Be aware that many of us would not walk around the area outside of the hotel and train station, or at least definitely not after dark.

And many of us do walk around down there, go to restaurants, shows, sporting events, work... Dd22 went to summer theater camp in the area in high school, dd18’s bff took the train into the city all of the time at 16 for an internship. 

OP yes there are restaurants and I assume liquor stores to buy wine, it’s a city.

Yea I knew this was at risk of offending someone in Newark.  But listen, there are as many locals and published warnings about the area.  I do not scare easily, and I wander a lot of Manhattan and other places by myself. But Newark is an area I choose not to wander.

From 2018

https://www.smartertravel.com/tips-newark-warnings-dangers-stay-safe/ 

This one is from 2017.

https://voicesofny.org/2017/09/newark-residents-this-is-a-shooting-zone/ 

"As reflected on a map of drug-related arrests and violent crimes, Newark’s Penn Station and its surroundings, in the Ironbound neighborhood, could be one of the least safe areas in the city."

Yes, there are gangs, drugs and violence, the majority of victims are gang members, drug dealers, and drug users, and those living in the projects and other bad neighborhoods. My local news is NYC news, so I get Newark news. I know so many people who work there, attend college, Private high school... I just can’t see telling folks not to leave Penn station. As for Manhattan, it’s a very safe city, my teens commute in a lot, alone even.

55 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Yes, there are gangs, drugs and violence, the majority of victims are gang members, drug dealers, and drug users, and those living in the projects and other bad neighborhoods. My local news is NYC news, so I get Newark news. I know so many people who work there, attend college, Private high school... I just can’t see telling folks not to leave Penn station. As for Manhattan, it’s a very safe city, my teens commute in a lot, alone even.

I used to take the train to Newark several times for lunch in the Ironbound Distict. Never a problem walking from the station. I can't comment on evenings. I did stay at the Gateway Hilton once but we had dinner in Manhattan. I am arriving in Newark from DC myself on Amtrak next Wednesday morning but I am not staying at a hotel, my cruise is Wednesday. 

Edited by Charles4515