Guernsey bus

In Guernsey we mostly plan to walk around town and to Castle Cornet.  But, I'm struggling with finding concrete information about the bus for if we decide that we want to see more of the island.  I think that to travel a full loop around the island via bus we need to get a Day Pass for £5 because it will be what's called a non-standard journey.  Can anyone verify if this is correct?  And also, can we hop off where we want and then get back on another bus later?  If so, does it have to be the same route or can we jump around?

Thanks so much for  any help!

I am not sure about day passes, however can confirm if you sit on the round the island bus doing the full loop it does cost £5.  Otherwise each journey is £1.  Yes you can get off when you want and get back on another bus, just pay £1 each time you embark.  The bus website is www.buses.gg to look at the different routes.  

Last year we used Island Coach ways, which does a 90 minute drive around the island for about 10 L per person, it may have been less.  It stops at the Little Chapel and along the Coast.  The pick up is close to debarkation pier just at the shopping mall near by.  We got off the ship, had a lovely coffee at the little mall and then got on the bus.  Afterward we walked to La Vallette Military Museum which is really interesting, built into a fuel tunnel.  You could also walk to the Castle Cornet .  This was a really lovely day and the bus was a great way to see the island.

Thank you for the advice on Island Coachways.  I had looked at that and saw they only did 2 days a week.. not when we will be there.  But, on your advice I checked again.  The half day tour is only twice a week.  But the Explorer (90 min) Tour is several times a day when ships are in port.   We will definitely consider this.   I was kind of hoping to just use the Guernsey bus so that we could stop anywhere we like.  But this is a nice alternative.

On 5/27/2019 at 9:27 AM, EllieinNJ said:

We also would like to do this tour.  Would there be a problem getting on the bus without a reservation because sometimes Guernsey is skipped because of weather?

I believe the Island Coachways "explorer" is often sold out in advance, though you may be able to secure a last-minute booking.  You may want to contact them directly to find out how often they have extra space on the day-of.  https://www.icw.gg/guernsey-explorer

On 5/27/2019 at 9:27 AM, EllieinNJ said:

We also would like to do this tour.  Would there be a problem getting on the bus without a reservation because sometimes Guernsey is skipped because of weather?

I was wondering the same thing, Ellie.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, trrn2016 said:

Is the German Museum walkable from the cruise port? Also, walkable to downtown? Just starting the planning process for our cruise. Thanks!

Town is very walkable, but does have hills.  This map shows you how close the tender pier is to town.  Essentially, it's IN town.

https://goo.gl/maps/YCkjfa35ETAKmhXQ8

The German Occupation Museum is another story.   It would not be considered walkable by other than the most dedicated hikers https://goo.gl/maps/wNM8FPv5Q86okJS27  

A bus or taxi would be your best bet.

21 hours ago, trrn2016 said:

Is the German Museum walkable from the cruise port? Also, walkable to downtown? Just starting the planning process for our cruise. Thanks!

As DC has already explained, yes the tender pier is in town which is walkable.  There are hills up to Candie Gardens and Victor Hugo's House (VHH).  If you wish to visit VHH you need to book in advance as this is an extremely popular attraction.

The German Occupation Museum in my opinion is the best museum on the island.  Definitely not walkable for those stopping by cruise ship with limited time.  There are buses going from town to the airport, 91, 93, 94 or 95, and 92, 93, 94 & 95 coming back.  The nearest bus stop for the museum is the last one before the airport with a 5 minute walk.  The museum does not open until 10am.

There are many interesting places to visit in Guernsey, I recommend taking a tour, whereby you would see The Little Chapel, The German Occupation Museum, The German Underground Hospital and/or Pleinmont Gun Batterie.

Please ask if you have any other questions regarding Guernsey, and I will try to help.