Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Someone commented on another thread that diamond gets free internet. I could not find this on the benefits package. Can someone explain? if my husband and I are both diamond will we both get internet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would each get a 24 hour period free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You each get one free 24-hour period (surf only, the slower version, although I've been able to stream video with it in the past) or you can apply the cost of that 24-hour surf period towards a "rest of cruise" package.

Edited by OCSC Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't need streaming, just access to work...


Can I get in through a VPN on this?  (For work.)

 

One 24 hour period for a 2 week cruise, is that right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

 

 

One 24 hour period for a 2 week cruise, is that right?

 

Each or $23 off a package 

 

have read some vpns do not work. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Florida_cruisers said:

Is this internet through the computers they offer or can you use it on your mobile device? 

Either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

I don't need streaming, just access to work...


Can I get in through a VPN on this?  (For work.)

 

One 24 hour period for a 2 week cruise, is that right?

 

Depends on the VPN technology.  They have blocked the ones I use.  If yours uses SSL exclusively, you might have a shot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Either

 

Great! Is this 24 hr per cabin or per person in the cabin? And if it’s shared per cabin that means that one person can use up all the time before the other person can get to it, right?

Edited by Florida_cruisers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would I know if my VPN uses SSL (I barely know what that even means!)?

If it helps it is to access EPIC electronic medical records.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Florida_cruisers said:

 

Great! Is this 24 hr per cabin or per person in the cabin? And if it’s shared per cabin that means that one person can use up all the time before the other person can get to it, right?

Per diamond member 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the_dylaness said:

How would I know if my VPN uses SSL (I barely know what that even means!)?

If it helps it is to access EPIC electronic medical records.

 

Speak to your network admin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

 

If it helps it is to access EPIC electronic medical records.

In that case I'd be happy to get aboard and find the internet broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ocean Boy said:

In that case I'd be happy to get aboard and find the internet broken.

 

Haha, me too, but I am the only physician in my department so need to be available for some urgencies.  Won't be doing routine stuff, don't worry about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

How would I know if my VPN uses SSL (I barely know what that even means!)?

If it helps it is to access EPIC electronic medical records.

EPIC is only an application. Like Word, or Excel, or PowerPoint.

To get to EPIC, you need to get into your works servers. To maintain the security of the servers, you have to access them through a VPN (Virtual Private Network)

 

I have never been able to access my works VPN from a cruise due to Latency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

EPIC is only an application. Like Word, or Excel, or PowerPoint.

To get to EPIC, you need to get into your works servers. To maintain the security of the servers, you have to access them through a VPN (Virtual Private Network)

 

I have never been able to access my works VPN from a cruise due to Latency. 

 

Hmm, sounds like I should call work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

 

Hmm, sounds like I should call work!

If they ask what kind of latency delay there might be, tell them anywhere from 600 to 800 miliseconds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If they ask what kind of latency delay there might be, tell them anywhere from 600 to 800 miliseconds

Or 200+ms on an O3B equipped ship not sailing in Alaska.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Florida_cruisers said:

 

That’s great!!! 

Think about timing when you use it. The clock starts at the first login.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Think about timing when you use it. The clock starts at the first login.

Agree, have to use whole 24hr period, once you login the next day at that time your free time expires

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to maximize on that, if you just need to check in once a day, you can use your phone in port before sailaway for Day One, then on Day Two start your 24-hour free period at 8pm, and then on Day Three you can use the last of that free period until 7:59pm.  Then on Day Four you can start the second person's 24-hour free period at 8pm and use it on Day Five up until 7:59pm. Then you can pay for one 24-hour period at 8pm on Day Six and use that until 7:59 on Day Seven, and then in the morning on Day Eight you'll be back in port and disembarking.  

If you only need access Mon-Fri, you can shift that schedule accordingly, so you don't activate the first freebie period until needed on Monday.

If you need all-day access every single day, you'd need to use one freebie one day, the other freebie the next day, then pay for a rest-of-the-cruise package.  It would be cheaper to ask on your roll call if anyone wants to all chip in for a four-device package for the week at $50/person/week and then just blow off your Diamond perk.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...