Sunscreen

LukeyC

just google reef safe sunscreen.  I would consider getting a few different types( spray,  lotion and solid).  and do NOT forget scalp sunscreen if you won't be wearing a hat 24/7.   your head will thank you.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spookwife said:

just google reef safe sunscreen.  I would consider getting a few different types( spray,  lotion and solid).  and do NOT forget scalp sunscreen if you won't be wearing a hat 24/7.   your head will thank you.  

Oxybenzone free will do the trick

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

Sunbum is my favorite and is allegedly used by lots of surfers due to its safety.  I too am very fair and I use it when cruising or out in the sun.

Use the Sunbum in the white packaging, it's reef safe. The yellow packaging is not.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

Use the Sunbum in the white packaging, it's reef safe. The yellow packaging is not.

All Sun Bum is reef friendly.  When the study came out stating that Oxybenzone may harm the reefs Sun Bum removed it from their sunscreens.  All of their sunscreens are reef friendly.  You can check out their FAQ page for more info.  I am particular about purchasing only cruelty free products (which IMO includes reef safe sunscreen).

https://www.trustthebum.com/pages/faq

Edited by MandyMooToo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

All Sun Bum is reef friendly.  When the study came out stating that Oxybenzone may harm the reefs Sun Bum removed it from their sunscreens.  All of their sunscreens are reef friendly.  You can check out their FAQ page for more info.  I am particular about purchasing only cruelty free products (which IMO includes reef safe sunscreen).

https://www.trustthebum.com/pages/faq

Avobenzone is a chemical of "concern" and that is in yellow Sun Bum. The white has non nano particles of zinc oxide, which the gold standard for reef safe sunscreen. As a Floridian, I do quite a bit of snorkeling and want my sunscreen to be as reef safe as possible.

• Like 1

Hi

As well as using the sunscreen (use lots of it), just be aware of how long you are out in the sun. Make a conscious effort to find some shade. Carry an umbrella, it can also be used if it starts raining. 😃 Watch your legs.

have a great cruise

• Like 2

As a redhead with far too many sunburns in my history, as well as too many times where the person putting sunscreen on my back "missed a spot" (did a crappy job of applying), I've taken to wearing both swim leggings and a long-sleeved swim shirt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brillohead said:

As a redhead with far too many sunburns in my history, as well as too many times where the person putting sunscreen on my back "missed a spot" (did a crappy job of applying), I've taken to wearing both swim leggings and a long-sleeved swim shirt.

That is the best for your body and for the environment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That is the best for your body and for the environment.

I look weird, but I actually AM weird, so that doesn't bother me!  

And I save a lot of money on sunscreen and don't have to worry about finding someone to apply it, keeping track of how long since I last applied, waiting 15 minutes to jump in the water after applying, etc., and peace of mind is priceless!

• Like 1

Make sure you put it on 30 mins. prior to sun exposure.  Many folks wait until they're in the sun to apply.  It takes 30 mins. to really start protecting you.  30 mins of unprotected exposure can do a number on you, especially in the Caribbean!  Put it on in your cabin, before you head out for the day.  1 Oz per adult, every 2 hours.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brillohead said:

Where would I find swim leggings?

14 minutes ago, LukeyC said:

Where would I find swim leggings?

Not sure if you're looking for men, women, or children, or on what continent, but a simple google search for "swim leggings ________" (add men, women, or children) will bring you dozens of options, including Amazon.

I've seen lots of lifeguards wearing leggings and shirts, too.  Sun exposure is a legitimate health concern.   

For men who aren't comfortable with the "Speedo look" of leggings, you can also wear regular swim trunks (shorts) over the leggings for a bit of modesty.

I wish more cruisers would use reef safe sunscreen, better for them, others around them and the overall environment.  Many boat operators will not allow spray screens on board their craft as it messes up the deck and can cause people to slip and slide.  In Hawaii, reef killing mass market sun screens are now illegal, and Florida is considering doing the same.  Mexico's Yucatan has long endorsed safe sunscreens, although tourists have routinely ignored this requirement.

I've been on snorkel tours where the water gets almost opaque from everyone's mass market sun screen coming off and causing slicks.  I've seen people on ships spraying themselves and maybe getting 10% of the product on their body while the rest goes in the air to land on lounges and the decks.  What a waste! YIKES!

• Like 1