Summit Suite - a former True Believer returns after the Haven, Yacht Club and Viking!

Dr. Cocktail

3 hours ago, Fogfog said:

OH GOSH! I hope you can retrieve your photos

TY for the help

So strange what was lost .... NO pictures of our Seaside YC cabins or of people we met remaining. Public areas (readily available on the internet!) all there .... Luckily it was only for two cruises. I guess I'll just have to go back! (already booked .....)

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Have you considered Meraviglia?  Just wondering.  There doesn't seem to be much buzz about her.  We've been on Divina and Seaside and maybe want to try Meraviglia.

Pul-lease ....I booked her in April of 2018 for this winter!  Supposedly,  the YC now has too much shade (🙄) because of the partial glass canopy. Her YC design is apparently  more reminiscent of Divina - while it's all one big complex, the restaurant and lounge are not joined.  She has/is really changing out her specialty restaurants - no more Eatily and now a Tapas bar.

Totally looking forward to seeing the real Cirque du Soleil, not a knock-off! I hear that both shows are excellent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Happy Cruiser, as I recall those 2 remaking cruises are both booked in the Summit PS. Let me know right away if you cancel.  I think they may be of interest to me and are wait-listed in the PS.  Thanks.

I was talking about cancelling a different cruise.  I will take that B2B cruise as I have made a commitment to friends to sail in the PH with them and I've not been to Iceland and Greenland.  Plus I'm curious to see if what Ms. Hoppen did to the PH is as bad as it looks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

We'll agree to disagree on the exact shade of red!

Still, a SPECTACULAR space!

I love the live music, the hors' doerves buffet and the stunning views. I've been on Seaside three times this past year and mainly returned to Celebrity because I LOVE NYC to Bermuda and my choices were basically Celebrity or NCL  and a Sky Suite was much cheaper than the Haven.

My only problem with Seaside is the limited itinerary.  Hopefully that will improve as they pay more attention to North America.  Looking forward to visiting their new private island this fall.  The rest of the ports are sea days as far as I'm concerned.

8 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My only problem with Seaside is the limited itinerary.  Hopefully that will improve as they pay more attention to North America.  Looking forward to visiting their new private island this fall.  The rest of the ports are sea days as far as I'm concerned.

100 % agree .... at least we'll have some more choice with Meraviglia. I think that the YC section of the private island won't be ready for the first few months.

I actually asked the Penthouse's cabin steward (after showing him my Suite Key Card!) if I could walk through the Penthouse on Summit on disembarkation. I liked the bathroom and how bright the living room was but thought the furniture looked cheap. Granted this truly was a run through as I didn't want to intrude.

@Dr. Cocktail

With your help and also other MSC devotees information we have taken the plunged and booked a B2B in YC.

Pretty excited. We'll do the status match after our X B2B in Sept when we cross over another Captn Club level

TY!!

6 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

@Dr. Cocktail

With your help and also other MSC devotees information we have taken the plunged and booked a B2B in YC.

Pretty excited. We'll do the status match after our X B2B in Sept when we cross over another Captn Club level

TY!!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!

Don't blame me - now I feel responsible!!!

While I didn't love Divina, I really love Seaside. Like any product, it has it's quirks.  The positives are the cabins - Sky Suite size but beautifully appointed, a great lounge and pool area (albeit a bit lacking in shade) and a beautiful dining room. The meals can be a bit hit and miss, especially the beef but the cheeses are spectacular and most of the other items are good.

The specialty restaurants are excellent. The rest of the ship is a crazy, Italian influenced zoo with colour and light everywhere. I love it! (and when I'm tired of it, I go back upstairs!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!

Don't blame me - now I feel responsible!!!

While I didn't love Divina, I really love Seaside. Like any product, it has it's quirks.  The positives are the cabins - Sky Suite size but beautifully appointed, a great lounge and pool area (albeit a bit lacking in shade) and a beautiful dining room. The meals can be a bit hit and miss, especially the beef but the cheeses are spectacular and most of the other items are good.

The specialty restaurants are excellent. The rest of the ship is a crazy, Italian influenced zoo with colour and light everywhere. I love it! (and when I'm tired of it, I go back upstairs!)

We will be in YC and Black --- worth trying a different line from  X...The new Ocean Cay should be good to go for spring 2020 and honestly the ports are all like sea days for us... Worth trying it "locally' before making a bigger commitment to a sailing we have to fly to

Still have our B2B this fall ...

and the Celebrity Dublin to Boston sailing via Iceland and Greenland (though with the Big Box naming it a "president's choice" cruise we wonder about group problems)

13 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

We will be in YC and Black --- worth trying a different line from  X...The new Ocean Cay should be good to go for spring 2020 and honestly the ports are all like sea days for us... Worth trying it "locally' before making a bigger commitment to a sailing we have to fly to

Still have our B2B this fall ...

and the Celebrity Dublin to Boston sailing via Iceland and Greenland (though with the Big Box naming it a "president's choice" cruise we wonder about group problems)

It's always important to change it up a bit!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I actually asked the Penthouse's cabin steward (after showing him my Suite Key Card!) if I could walk through the Penthouse on Summit on disembarkation. I liked the bathroom and how bright the living room was but thought the furniture looked cheap. Granted this truly was a run through as I didn't want to intrude.

The furniture has been described as Ikea meets Target.  That suite used to be beautifully appointed.  

You know, I've wondered if she knows LLP personally or something.  Otherwise it just seems like a really stupendous business "miss."  I still cannot believe business decisions that removed tables from all categories of cabins and full sized sofas from all but suites. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

You know, I've wondered if she knows LLP personally or something.  Otherwise it just seems like a really stupendous business "miss."  I still cannot believe business decisions that removed tables from all categories of cabins and full sized sofas from all but suites. 

I agree!  I know the big rocking chairs have been removed from the ss, but now coffee tables, perhaps with rounded corners, should be installed.  even a portable folding table for the balcony would be great.

20 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

100 % agree .... at least we'll have some more choice with Meraviglia. I think that the YC section of the private island won't be ready for the first few months.

Is there a second bathroom?

13 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

The removal of storage from the Sky Suites was particularly bone-headed. The biggest disappointment was the bathroom. The tub really should have been removed and replaced with a nice sized glassed in shower-stall.

27 minutes ago, sasset said:

Is there a second bathroom?

Sorry - I just ran through but there are videos on YouTube of the suite

50 minutes ago, CAicruiser said:

That is nothing wrong with Kelly Hoppen. That is her stye of Design(modern but not Luxury).

The person need head examine is LLP Lisa.

Hoppen may have designated the decor but I'm suspicious that some of the architectural elements like closets and tubs were done by head office

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

11 hours ago, CAicruiser said:

That is nothing wrong with Kelly Hoppen. That is her stye of Design(modern but not Luxury).

I would classify her style of design as modern nonfunctional.  There are designers who believe design should be functional as well as attractive.  Pity Celebrity decided to go with a lesser light.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:31 AM, Dr. Cocktail said:

Good morning!

I took the liberty of checking out the nightly rate at the Fairmont Southampton Princess, just across from Horseshoe Beach.

The nightly rate, next week, including all taxes but no meals is ..... $1113.60 per night!!!!!!!!!!!!! (you can check for yourself on Fairmont's website!)

I didn't bother checking the beautiful hotel, The Reefs, also close by ... I don't think that my heart could handle it!

Holy Moly!  We stay in a 2 bedroom cottage with living room dining area and kitchen right on a private access beach and only pay $355 per night. Even with eating in nice restaurants it doesn’t come to that!

13 hours ago, CAicruiser said:

You see I don’t think it’s even modern, it’s a 1970s throwback that’s been tweaked and I think it’s going to age pretty quickly. Add in the total lack of practicality and comfort and it’s a disaster for me. Celebrity have made a huge mistake,

• Like 2

I'm excited about the changes! I'll be on the Equinox 7/27. I understand they're a work in progress and will evolve with feedback and use.

I wonder how many of the people who consistently complain about the new designs are outside of Celebrity's target age group of 35-55? 

Everything ages and needs updating every decade or so. Unfortunately, some of us haven't updated our expectations to the realities of contemporary commercial interior design. 

I'm not saying I love the new design. I'm withholding my judgment until I can experience the space in person. 

When all you can see are the faults in everything, that typically says more about you than the world around you. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the great review.  I was very happy that your experience in the Yacht Clubs Of MSC was so positive.  The YC concept is, in my mind, the perfect solution for cruisers who want a luxury experience with access to all the big ship attractions.  It is also worth noting that MSC is a work in progress.  They are continually improving the negatives into positives.  Their food and service has continually improved and will continue to improve over time.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, misterkevin said:

I'm excited about the changes! I'll be on the Equinox 7/27. I understand they're a work in progress and will evolve with feedback and use.

I wonder how many of the people who consistently complain about the new designs are outside of Celebrity's target age group of 35-55? 

Everything ages and needs updating every decade or so. Unfortunately, some of us haven't updated our expectations to the realities of contemporary commercial interior design. 

I'm not saying I love the new design. I'm withholding my judgment until I can experience the space in person. 

When all you can see are the faults in everything, that typically says more about you than the world around you. 

Amen

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 2:14 PM, FlorenceItaly said:

Will be awaiting for your review as we are on the June 16th sailing.  We are not in a suite, but, since you wouldn't choose Summit again, no matter what cabin, am looking forward to your overall thoughts.  After sailing her last October, I said no more until the revolution.  Thank you.

I posted my review today - here's a link! Summit Review.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Holy Moly!  We stay in a 2 bedroom cottage with living room dining area and kitchen right on a private access beach and only pay $355 per night. Even with eating in nice restaurants it doesn’t come to that!

We overheard one of the shuttle drivers telling the passenger next to him that Airbnb was becoming extremely popular on the island. I just checked and the prices are shockingly reasonable!