Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
twangster

Images no longer posting from an external site

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I used to be able to post images in threads by referencing the URL where they are located.

 

This worked fine in threads such as:

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2598350-symphony-ots-live-transatlantic-oct-28-2018-coming-to-america/

 

However recently when I try to include similar URLs the images don't load, it simply posts as a URL.

 

Such as:

 

https://i.*****/RS9Li3O.jpg

 

https:// i. imgur dot com / RS9Li3O.jpg

 

I've tried three different browsers and private or incognito mode.  

 

Any idea why my photos no longer can be seen in posts?

 

Thanks.

Edited by twangster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you trying to post from the same third party site?  I remember a couple of years ago when Photobucket became greedy there was a long thread on the Photography forum about posting pictures, and imgur was a site that was not supported here.  I had to go to Shutterfly and have not had any problems.  EM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Are you trying to post from the same third party site?  I remember a couple of years ago when Photobucket became greedy there was a long thread on the Photography forum about posting pictures, and imgur was a site that was not supported here.  I had to go to Shutterfly and have not had any problems.  EM

 

Works fine on another forum that uses the same backend engine.   

 

My Symphony thread worked fine here on CC as have other threads.  

 

It's a CC thing apparently.  Change in policy?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, twangster said:

I used to be able to post images in threads by referencing the URL where they are located.

 

This worked fine in threads such as:

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2598350-symphony-ots-live-transatlantic-oct-28-2018-coming-to-america/

 

However recently when I try to include similar URLs the images don't load, it simply posts as a URL.

 

Such as:

 

https://i.*****/RS9Li3O.jpg

 

https:// i. imgur dot com / RS9Li3O.jpg

 

I've tried three different browsers and private or incognito mode.  

 

Any idea why my photos no longer can be seen in posts?

 

It looks like that site is now banned. The URLs that have already been incorporated into existing posts have not been edited to remove the banned string of characters, but this behaviour ( ("imgur" is OK but "i m g u r .com" is banned) suggests that the CC software now traps that string when you try to post it in a new post.

 

There is no ban on posting images as such, because I have just tested this using the site that I normally use (tinypic).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

There is no ban on posting images as such, because I have just tested this using the site that I normally use (tinypic).

 

I just did the same from Shutterfly, no problem.   (DId you delete your image once you tested the post, because it's not there now....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

(DId you delete your image once you tested the post, because it's not there now....)

 

Yes, I did. Because I used a couple of random images that came to hand, they could have been construed as political if I'd left them up. I didn't bother being picky because I knew that I was going to delete them straight away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, no more posting pictures for me.  I'm not going to play this whack-a-mole game investing in another hosting service only have the CC gods change their minds again in a month's time and ban some other site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twangster said:

Oh well, no more posting pictures for me.  I'm not going to play this whack-a-mole game investing in another hosting service only have the CC gods change their minds again in a month's time and ban some other site.

 

You can insert pictures directly from your pc into your posts rather than use a third party web site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, broberts said:

 

You can insert pictures directly from your pc into your posts rather than use a third party web site.

 

1. With over 7,000 cruise images on my hosting site I'd run out of storage with the limited quota available here.

 

2. When you upload images to CC you lose all rights and ownership of your images.  They become the property of CC and they are free to use them in what manner they choose to, license free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twangster said:

Oh well, no more posting pictures for me.  I'm not going to play this whack-a-mole game investing in another hosting service only have the CC gods change their minds again in a month's time and ban some other site.

 

I've never paid for a hosting site.  I have thousands of pictures on Photobucket, but I stopped usingthem when they started charging outrageous prices - it was free when I joined.  I still have thousands of pictures there, but I have loaded the important pics to my computer and to Shutterfly.  Originally, my pictures were loaded in my computer using Kodak EasyShare software, and some were uploaded to the Kodak Gallery.  When Kodak went out of business, they sold the Gallery to Shutterfly.  when I found this out, I uploaded everything I had in the computer to my Kodak gallery, and it automatically went into Shutterfly.  I have since loaded hundreds, if not thousands more pictures to Shutterfly, posted many here, and I don't pay a cent.  Photobucket has since lowered their prices to almost reasonable, and are actively wooing me, but I'm not buying.  EM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I've never paid for a hosting site

Me, either. l use tinypic.com

 

There is a paid subscription option there, but you don't have to do it to use it.  Until such time as Photobucket decides to start charging everyone there, also.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No more restrictions on CC storage.

 

I'm a big fan of the current system. 

 

They can do whatever they wish with my pics. 😎  I'm hardly a professional. 

 

Thunder on Cocoa Beach last weekend.

 

IMG_4648.thumb.JPG.409b0682ae9fc9cae97bfcfe29d957c2.JPG

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 10:02 PM, twangster said:

I used to be able to post images in threads by referencing the URL where they are located.

 

This worked fine in threads such as:

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2598350-symphony-ots-live-transatlantic-oct-28-2018-coming-to-america/

 

However recently when I try to include similar URLs the images don't load, it simply posts as a URL.

 

Such as:

 

https://i.*****/RS9Li3O.jpg

 

https:// i. imgur dot com / RS9Li3O.jpg

 

I've tried three different browsers and private or incognito mode.  

 

Any idea why my photos no longer can be seen in posts?

 

Thanks.

 

Going to look into why Imgur is censored and get back to you.  We may be able to unblock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imgur has always been blocked on CC -  Imgur policy is that they will not host pictures for use

on forums.  - It is stated clearly in their rules.

They say that they can just delete anyone infringing this and maybe take action against the

forum owner.  My guess is that CC didnt want to risk anyone losing their pictures and so

blocked the site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2019 at 7:53 AM, Aulanis said:

Imgur has always been blocked on CC - Imgur policy is that they will not host pictures for use

on forums.  - It is stated clearly in their rules.

 

My images have worked for months.  Just started being censored recently.

 

IMGUR policy allows posting on social media for non-commercial purposes.  There is no mention of "forums" in their policy.   

Edited by twangster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuff not to do

If someone else might own the copyright to it, don't upload it. Don't upload gore, "hate speech" (i.e. demeaning race, gender, age, religious or sexual orientation, etc.), or material that is threatening, harassing, defamatory, or that encourages violence or crime. Don't upload illegal content such as child porn or nonconsensual ("revenge") porn. Don't hotlink to adult content or to file-sharing, gambling, torrent, warez, or Imgur rip-off sites. Don't impersonate someone else. Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on *****. We mean it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 3:31 PM, John&LaLa said:

No more restrictions on CC storage.

 

I'm a big fan of the current system. 

 

They can do whatever they wish with my pics. 😎  I'm hardly a professional. 

 

Thunder on Cocoa Beach last weekend.

 

IMG_4648.thumb.JPG.409b0682ae9fc9cae97bfcfe29d957c2.JPG

We sailed the Harmony for the second time but first time from Port Canaveral on May 25th!  Loved Cocoa Beach too.  I was busy getting a facial but my family saw some of the boats from the ship.  Now to my question what site do you use to post pics here?  I want to do a Key review but can never make my pictures post.  Thanks for any help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Now to my question what site do you use to post pics here?

I just copy and paste directly from my computer files.  I've used tinypic.com in the past (no charge).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I just copy and paste directly from my computer files.  I've used tinypic.com in the past (no charge).

 

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Shutterfly for storage and posting pics.  Free.  I used Photobucket until they got greedy.  EM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 8:55 AM, CC Help Jenn said:

 

Going to look into why Imgur is censored and get back to you.  We may be able to unblock

 

Any updates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2019 at 7:55 AM, CC Help Jenn said:

 

Going to look into why Imgur is censored and get back to you.  We may be able to unblock

 

23 hours ago, twangster said:

 

Any updates?

 

@CC Help Jenn

Any updates on why Imgur is censored Jenn?

Edited by AlanF65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your patience all.  We have unblocked imgur - that should work for you to use it to display photos as far as I know.  If not, then perhaps their format is not compatible with our forums.  I do not have an imgur account to test this unfortunately. 

 

If someone does use imgur and would like to post a test photo I would be eternally grateful 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...