NCL Pearl, Tilbury and train to London

We dock in Tilbury for our 12 hour stay in England.  I originally was just going to have us putter around the town,  seeing a few sights, hitting a pub or two rather than take go to London.  However, it seems as if there is not much to do.  My TA mentioned taking the train to London.  Does anyone have any information about this, location of stations, proximities to any major sites?  We are 30 days out (June 22 sailing) and I don't have much time to research as much as I ordinarily would.

17 minutes ago, sharonann24 said:

My TA mentioned taking the train to London.  Does anyone have any information about this, location of stations, proximities to any major sites?

It's a 1-mile walk (~20 minutes) to Tilbury Town station, train (~45 minutes once every 30 minutes) to London Fenchurch Street station, which is very near the Tower of London. Assuming that you are asking about 23 June 2019, the shuttle bus from the dock to the station does not appear to be running that day.

You are right about Tilbury. It's a dump. More about that in this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2659996-southend-airport-to-tilbury-docks

Take a train to Fenchurch Street Station (about 50 minutes) and then walk down to The Tower of London and Tower Bridge. There is plenty to see and do around here, or you could take a boat trip up the Thames to Westminster for Big Ben etc.

The walk from the port to the station is very easy - path the whole way. If you want to stay local to the ship you do have Tilbury Fort (English Heritage site) about a 10 minute walk the opposite way to the station.

When you get to the train station make sure you pick up a 2 for 1 attractions book for London. There are loads of the top attractions in it and can save you quite a bit, all you have to do is fill the coupon in and show your train ticket.

If you want options other than London, you have Lakeside Shopping Center same train as for London or the train in the opposite direction takes you towards Southend on Sea.

We just did this a couple of weeks ago.  The walk to the train station is a long 1 mile.  We are pretty naive using public transportation, but there were people helping.  There was quite a line to get tickets.

The ride was pleasant and about 50 minutes.  The station is right by the Tower of London; we toured this for several hours, then walked over the Tower Bridge and back and that was about all we had time for.  It was an off and on rainy day, but only a real downpour once.  We did use the 2 for one ticket for the tower.

We perhaps could have done a couple of more things, but by that time were tired and also we didn't leave the ship very early.  After a little confusion finding the right train back, were pleasantly surprised that there was a shuttle bus to take us back to the ship.

10 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

After a little confusion finding the right train back, were pleasantly surprised that there was a shuttle bus to take us back to the ship.

AIUI, the shuttle bus operates to a timetable that meets the trains to and from London. It is part of the National Rail network, and appears on the timetable if you search for journeys to/from Tilbury Riverside (which is where the cruise ship terminal is).

Unfortunately for the OP, if I have got the date correct, from the timetable it looks like the shuttle bus is not running that day.