Cruise out of New York

abby1257

1 hour ago, abby1257 said:

Good morning, I am considering a cruise out of New York....my question is this:  Which airport is most convenient...and cost effective transfer fee?

Are you considering flying in the same day?  Or do you need a hotel?  Number of people?New York is very much a DIY port with lots of factors to consider - 3 airports, cruise transfer, bus or train plus cab/ Uber, taxi or car service transfer.  Could you provide exact dates and as many details as possible?

2 people, flying in same day...from Toronto

There are also three different cruise ports in greater New York, the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and Cape Liberty, which is in Bayonne, NJ just across the Upper Bay from NY City. The answer to your question will differ depending on which of the cruise terminals your cruise will be departing from.

With a few exceptions Royal Caribbean and Celebrity depart from Cape Liberty, Princess and Cunard from Brooklyn and NCL, Carnival and others from Manhattan.

Edited by njhorseman

LaGuardia is shortest distance to Manhattan Cruise Port.

JFK is okay to Brooklyn and Manhattan, would avoid that for Cape Liberty (in NJ).

Newark Liberty is best for Cape Liberty, okay for Manhattan, would avoid for Brooklyn.

That said, traffic on any day.... is unpredictable.  Get a car or van service, or Uber or Lyft with a fixed cost and avoid metered taxis.

36 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

LaGuardia is shortest distance to Manhattan Cruise Port.

JFK is okay to Brooklyn and Manhattan, would avoid that for Cape Liberty (in NJ).

Newark Liberty is best for Cape Liberty, okay for Manhattan, would avoid for Brooklyn.

That said, traffic on any day.... is unpredictable.  Get a car or van service, or Uber or Lyft with a fixed cost and avoid metered taxis.

Good general outline - right now, however, LGA is undergoing massive rebuilding, making JFK somewhat preferable.

May 16/20, Carnival Legend...never been to NY

Carnival leaves from Manhattan and you can fly into any of the three airports, but it's too soon to start making plans. You have to wait a few weeks until  airline reservations will be open for that time. The first step will be to see what the flight schedules and fares will be. Then you have to price out various transportation alternatives. Part of the decision process will be your choice of ground transportation mode such as taxi, car service, Uber ,  or mass transit such as trains. But until you know fares and flight schedules there's no sense doing anything.

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Carnival leaves from Manhattan and you can fly into any of the three airports, but it's too soon to start making plans. You have to wait a few weeks until  airline reservations will be open for that time. The first step will be to see what the flight schedules and fares will be. Then you have to price out various transportation alternatives. Part of the decision process will be your choice of ground transportation mode such as taxi, car service, Uber ,  or mass transit such as trains. But until you know fares and flight schedules there's no sense doing anything.

Great answer!  It’s just too soon.  Get the airline options and costs first.  My understanding is that there are 2 airport options in Toronto for flying to the New York airports.  Coming in the same day you would want to be on an early flight on an airline that has subsequent flights that morning in case there are plane issues.

Post back when you have targeted a destination airport.  From Newark your most cost effective way to get to Manhattan is to take the free Airtrain from your terminal to the Newark Airport Station and NJ Transit to New York Penn Station for $13/pp.   On a Sat morning there are about 3-4 trains/hour.  At NY Penn you exit up the escalators to 8th Ave and grab a cab to the Cruiseport - about $15.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 138east said:

Great answer!  It’s just too soon.  Get the airline options and costs first.  My understanding is that there are 2 airport options in Toronto for flying to the New York airports.  Coming in the same day you would want to be on an early flight on an airline that has subsequent flights that morning in case there are plane issues.

Post back when you have targeted a destination airport.  From Newark your most cost effective way to get to Manhattan is to take the free Airtrain from your terminal to the Newark Airport Station and NJ Transit to New York Penn Station for $13/pp.   On a Sat morning there are about 3-4 trains/hour.  At NY Penn you exit up the escalators to 8th Ave and grab a cab to the Cruiseport - about $15.

My sister has a bad back so I am thinking we don't want to fly into Newwark....We want to fly into the most convenient airport to the pier?

52 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

My sister has a bad back so I am thinking we don't want to fly into Newwark....We want to fly into the most convenient airport to the pier?

A “cost effective” transfer to the Manhattan Cruiseport like a train or bus plus a cab would probably not suit your sister with the bad back.  A direct cruise transfer might suit your needs.  Check with Carnival to see if they offer such a transfer and from which of the airports.  Also ask Carnival about how early they suggest booking a return flight.  Folks have commented often that the disembarkation in Manhattan usually requires you to take yourselves and your luggage across 12th Ave to connect with a car service, NYC cab, or Uber/Lyft.  LGA would probably best suit your needs, but only if you allow yourselves enough time.

We are flying into LGA on Sunday at around 10:30 a.m.to board the Escape. Delta sent us an email reminding us of the flight, and among all the ads, I noticed a block of information that stated we would need to take a bus to where we would catch a cab. Is this true? If we decided to take an Uber instead, where would we wait for it? And then on disembarking we would cross 12th street to catch a cab? And there’s construction at LGA? Can we trust that Uber drivers know the best route to the port? It all sounds very confusing. Thank you for any help in clearing this up for us.

9 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

We are flying into LGA on Sunday at around 10:30 a.m.to board the Escape. Delta sent us an email reminding us of the flight, and among all the ads, I noticed a block of information that stated we would need to take a bus to where we would catch a cab. Is this true? If we decided to take an Uber instead, where would we wait for it? And then on disembarking we would cross 12th street to catch a cab? And there’s construction at LGA? Can we trust that Uber drivers know the best route to the port? It all sounds very confusing. Thank you for any help in clearing this up for us.

I flew into LaGuardia two weeks ago on Delta.  I arranged for a car service (Dial 7) to pick us up.  We did not have to take the shuttle bus to where the taxis are, but rather we walked (not too far) to a loading area and waited for the driver there.  I don’t know about Uber and Lyft.  My guess is you would have to take the shuttle bus.  

We sailed out of New York (Manhattan Cruise Terminal) in April, flying in the night before.  

We used Carmel car service to take up to our downtown hotel.  Great service, easy to find, and only around $40 dollars--maybe a little less.  We flew into La Guardia.

It probably would be cheaper to the port.

• 5 weeks later...

Carmel and Dial 7 are two large metropolitan New York City limo services that are reasonable and very reliable. They service all three airports and all three cruise terminals in the New York City area.

I have been researching and am feeling a bit overwhelmed...  we are cruising on the Regal Princess out of Brooklyn cruise port on Oct 5th.  We are flying into LGA a couple days early and are needing a hotel pre-cruise and transportation from the airport to the hotel, cruise terminal and back to LGA.  Also, wanting to do a tour on the 4th. I would love to have some advice and input. I am looking right now at booking the Hilton Brooklyn, New York on Schermerhorn St - any thoughts?

On 5/27/2019 at 10:46 AM, Nebr.cruiser said:

We sailed out of New York (Manhattan Cruise Terminal) in April, flying in the night before.  

We used Carmel car service to take up to our downtown hotel.  Great service, easy to find, and only around $40 dollars--maybe a little less.  We flew into La Guardia.

It probably would be cheaper to the port.

I have to agree with you & Carmel Car Service.  I ALWAYS use them when I'm in NY ...which in the past 9 months has been quite a lot!  Excellent, polite, professional drivers. Pristine vehicles.  

10 hours ago, #1Nanna said:

I have been researching and am feeling a bit overwhelmed...  we are cruising on the Regal Princess out of Brooklyn cruise port on Oct 5th.  We are flying into LGA a couple days early and are needing a hotel pre-cruise and transportation from the airport to the hotel, cruise terminal and back to LGA.  Also, wanting to do a tour on the 4th. I would love to have some advice and input. I am looking right now at booking the Hilton Brooklyn, New York on Schermerhorn St - any thoughts?

Exact dates you need a hotel?  What kind of tour are you interested in?

2 hours ago, #1Nanna said:

We need a hotel for Oct 3rd & 4th. We are wanting to see 911 memorial  and possibly do a driving tour to  see other sites.  My mother cannot do a lot of walking. 

More questions.  Hotel budget?  Bed size requirements?  Queen? king? 2 beds?  Does mom just want to see the 911 Memorial or does she want to tour the museum as well?  Museum tickets should be purchased in advance. How much walking can Mom actually do?

IMO if mom has mobility issues, you may want to stay in downtown Manhattan close to the 911 Memorial.  She also might enjoy just riding around the tour loop in one of the Hoho buses.  Downtown hotels appear to be about $100 less than the Brooklyn Hilton for your dates.  Don’t stay in Brooklyn if you want to have easier access to Manhattan sights.

Edited by 138east

138east,  thanks for replying to my question. We do want to tour the 911 museum. Do you have a suggestion on where to pre-purchase tickets?  My mother has double knee replacements but walks without assistance, she just cannot do a lengthy amount of walking such as a “walking tour”.  It definitely sounds like we need to stay in downtown Manhattan.