Brittania docking late tomorrow

hansol1966

Good answer,that’s what I was trying to put across,running a ship day in day out brings problems eventually,and they have to be addressed then not having it limping along till the dry dock.ps we had a great cruise 4-18 may we could not fault it.

2 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

‘I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you Dave, because if I was on that one I would be very nervous indeed having read this thread. 😐

Come on Les, why on earth would they cancel a cruise? There was a delay in the early part of the run from Bergen. It resulted in slow sailing. The problem was then fixed. However the ship had now lost so much time it had missed its slot for the sail up the Solent, as mentioned above. The ship then reached its next port on time this morning.

I am afraid that this is another case of a problem being blown out of all proportion and speculation running wild.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, daiB said:

Come on Les, why on earth would they cancel a cruise? There was a delay in the early part of the run from Bergen. It resulted in slow sailing. The problem was then fixed. However the ship had now lost so much time it had missed its slot for the sail up the Solent, as mentioned above. The ship then reached its next port on time this morning.

I am afraid that this is another case of a problem being blown out of all proportion and speculation running wild.

‘I’m sure they wouldn’t cancel a cruise unless it was totally unavoidable as it would be very expensive to do so, but I’m just saying that having read this thread from the beginning it appears that mechanical problems have been ongoing for a while, so it is probably not an easy fix. If I was booked on any upcoming cruise on Brittania, I would have my fingers crossed. I accept that not everyone will feel the same way.

23 minutes ago, Cruisecrazy25 said:

I’m crossing my fingers all is well because we are on the June 1st cruise! Coming from Florida and Minnesota, it would be a bummer to have it cancelled! 

This is what I mean by not listening to crazy speculation.

The problem was resolved.

You will be fine.

56 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I shall await her track with interest, because her next port should be La Corunna and at the moment she is heading down the Alderney Race.  You wouldn't do that unless you were going to Guernsey next?

Still looking that way, isn't it.

Jeanylion would you want compensation if this happened to you yesterday on late embarkation to Brittania when we we the first passengers after self disembarkation to get off with priority 5.00PM. With the rest of the ship still to get off 2hrs later. 2 more hours then embarkation..then safety drills..then luggage..9.00 PM minimum..

It is not the passengers problem......it is Britannia’s problem by not building in more maintenance time apart from once a year. The rest of the year ships are firefighting the problem. As I said it is NOWHERE near as bad arriving late as having to wait for your cruise...try it sometime....

Edited by hansol1966

2 hours ago, hansol1966 said:

Jeanylion would you want compensation if this happened to you yesterday on late embarkation to Brittania when we we the first passengers after self disembarkation to get off with priority 5.00PM. With the rest of the ship still to get off 2hrs later. 2 more hours then embarkation..then safety drills..then luggage..9.00 PM minimum..

It is not the passengers problem......it is Britannia’s problem by not building in more maintenance time apart from once a year. The rest of the year ships are firefighting the problem. As I said it is NOWHERE near as bad arriving late as having to wait for your cruise...try it sometime....

Sorry not everyone looks for compensation. We were delayed 5 hours on one of our cruises no one was shouting for compo. 

Regarding your other point all cruise ships of all lines run 365 days per year. That’s how the industry works. All maintenance is done as the ship is sailing or at a port. Every 5 years or so they are taken out of service for an overhaul. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daiB said:

Sorry not everyone looks for compensation. We were delayed 5 hours on one of our cruises no one was shouting for compo. 

Regarding your other point all cruise ships of all lines run 365 days per year. That’s how the industry works. All maintenance is done as the ship is sailing or at a port. Every 5 years or so they are taken out of service for an overhaul. 

You might not look for compensation, but that's just your particular viewpoint - others will make up their own minds. And you can be very sure indeed that P&O itself would certainly be looking for compensation if it were let down by someone supplying it with a service. It's exactly the same thing - except that P&O will have tried (and probably failed) to protect itself with a contractual term excluding liability.

And just because a cruise company builds in no maintenance time it doesn't make it right - if the outcome is problems such as this for passengers it's clearly a business model that works for the companies to the detriment of passengers. I've mentioned negligence earlier in this thread, and that's exactly the sort of thing that courts take into account when examining whether a company has acted negligently.  Again, I'm not saying that's the case here - we don't know the facts - but it may be relevant.

For those who want compo, who do you think will pay for it. A cruise is a few hours late leaving, as it was a few hours late arriving from the previous one. So going along with what has been posted  £100 pp, on a ship with 3000+passenger would end up at £375,000. Who will pay for it ..again ..who do you think will pay. The cruise line...in the first instance, but like insurance policies where a lot of people claim...the cost goes up to joe public...So you may get your £100, but in the long run everyone will pay more.

• Like 1

Regards maintenance, solas regulations are massively detailed on what should be done on a daily/weekly/monthly etc basis.  U.K authorities also inspect and have the power to stop a ship from sailing (and do).

ship manufacturers specify maintenance requirements which have to be adhered to.

The statement that “a cruise company builds in no maintenance time” is just plainly wrong.  What do you think all the people in overalls are doing all day?

Britannia is the only P&O ship with dual engine rooms, again a Solas regulation that was brought  in to improve safety at sea.  What I find most interesting here is that there appears to be inference that a second power outing took place at which time the majority of power was lost.  We will never know, but I do wonder if both engine rooms lost power at some stage...

Edited by crompton21

15 minutes ago, the english lady said:

For those who want compo, who do you think will pay for it. A cruise is a few hours late leaving, as it was a few hours late arriving from the previous one. So going along with what has been posted  £100 pp, on a ship with 3000+passenger would end up at £375,000. Who will pay for it ..again ..who do you think will pay. The cruise line...in the first instance, but like insurance policies where a lot of people claim...the cost goes up to joe public...So you may get your £100, but in the long run everyone will pay more.

Not really a valid reason for letting P&O off the hook of paying a fair compensation for inconvenience and lost holiday time, with cruise prices of £100-£200pppn a 5, or as it turned out 7 hour delay should result in a lot more than £20 compensation.  

Flight delays are far more generous and now enshrined in law.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not really a valid reason for letting P&O off the hook of paying a fair compensation for inconvenience and lost holiday time, with cruise prices of £100-£200pppn a 5, or as it turned out 7 hour delay should result in a lot more than £20 compensation.  

Flight delays are far more generous and now enshrined in law.

Many airlines are going bust, could this be a contributing factor?

I watched a programme about Heathrow last night where due to a breakdown, a smaller replacement plane was sent, meaning some 40 passengers could not board. They were given 600 Euros compensation due to regulations each in cash and many managed to book different flights the same day.

This cannot bode well for the airlines.

Andy

I certainly wouldn't be looking for compensation if I was joining that cruise, after all your holiday starts with your first nights accommodation and that's what they got. However, if I was the one arriving late and I had my onward travels plans messed about ie missed trains/ flights etc then I would most definitely be looking for some form of reimbursement. 

12 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes, hanging a starboard, and only doing 13.7 knots.  I guess it's not that far to La Corunna.

Cherbourg Coruna is 504nm bit shorter through Alderney Race current pn has 286 nm to go at 14 knots giving ETA at pilot station as 0400 UTC or 0600 local

8 minutes ago, the english lady said:

I guess those on the late getting back cruise were happy with how pando dealt with them, and didn't feel the need for social media..or like a lot of people wouldn't dream of compo compo compo. As I said who pays in the end. 

Who pays in the end? The Carnival shareholders probably. 

Seems fair enough to me, and I'm one of them. Companies need to deliver what they promised, and if they don't it's only fair that customers should receive compensation for not getting what they paid for.

7 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

I certainly wouldn't be looking for compensation if I was joining that cruise, after all your holiday starts with your first nights accommodation and that's what they got. However, if I was the one arriving late and I had my onward travels plans messed about ie missed trains/ flights etc then I would most definitely be looking for some form of reimbursement. 

I completely disagree that your holiday starts with your first nights accommodation. We are always on board by lunchtime, start our cruise with an enjoyable and relaxed lunch and drink in the Glasshouse, go to our cabin and unpack (again, without any rush), get the muster drill out of the way, go to the library and have a browse and get some reading material for the cruise, take up a nice seat in the Crows Nest with a drink and enjoy watching our transit down Southampton Water and past the Isle of Wight, change for dinner, pre dinner drink in Anderson’s and then a leisurely dinner in the main dining room. Our first afternoon and evening is always very enjoyable and gets us in the holiday mood - and that’s without doing any of the evening ‘entertainment’ (most of which doesn’t appeal to us). All of that is done (and enjoyed) before our first nights accommodation. By contrast, many of those commencing this cruise didn’t board until late evening having spent hours waiting to drop their cars off after long journeys, probably hungry and needing the loo. I suspect that a number of first time cruisers may have decided that it was their last before they had even boarded!

i understand the argument that the customers ultimately pay with the compensation culture that we have these days, but that argument can be used for anything and is no excuse not to treat affected customers fairly.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, docco said:

Who pays in the end? The Carnival shareholders probably. 

Seems fair enough to me, and I'm one of them. Companies need to deliver what they promised, and if they don't it's only fair that customers should receive compensation for not getting what they paid for.

And those who arrived back late should be billed for an extra morning on onboard that they did not pay for? 😇😌