Is sargassum seaweed an issue in Belize?

Bahbert

Just got back from a cruise to Mexico that included Costa Maya, which isn't too far from Belize. The sargassum was an issue there, so I wondered how bad it's affecting Belize. My wife and I will be there in September and will be taking a boat out to one of the small islands for a beach day. 

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to provide an update in case others are interested in the topic later. Just got back from our cruise, and we were in Belize on Thursday 9/19/19. We did an excursion on Goff's Caye and saw no sargassum there at all. Apparently the reef helps keep it mostly clear, and when they do get some the excursion staff go out in the morning to clean it up. 

I highly recommend Goff's Caye to anyone who is interested in snorkeling and tiny tropical islands! 

On 9/23/2019 at 10:48 AM, Bahbert said:

Just wanted to provide an update in case others are interested in the topic later. Just got back from our cruise, and we were in Belize on Thursday 9/19/19. We did an excursion on Goff's Caye and saw no sargassum there at all. Apparently the reef helps keep it mostly clear, and when they do get some the excursion staff go out in the morning to clean it up. 

I highly recommend Goff's Caye to anyone who is interested in snorkeling and tiny tropical islands! 

We were there back in 2011 on a Carnival excursion--loved it-- and are thinking about going back in November.  Did you book through your cruise line, or an independent company?  Our cruise line doesn't offer an excursion there, but our online travel agency does, so I was curious if your visit was part of a cruise line excursion?

9 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

We were there back in 2011 on a Carnival excursion--loved it-- and are thinking about going back in November.  Did you book through your cruise line, or an independent company?  Our cruise line doesn't offer an excursion there, but our online travel agency does, so I was curious if your visit was part of a cruise line excursion?

We booked through an external company; the excursion is called “Sun Kissed Goff’s Caye Snorkeling & Beach Excursion.” I’m sure you’ll find the company if you search for that online. They were very professional, helpful, and knowledgeable. There were plenty of people to assist everyone and they were conscientious about safety and time.