Magnetic Hooks

KBYUCougar

I've seen on other sites that some people recommend bringing magnetic hooks to hang things in the cabin. Thoughts? Is it another money waster "tip". What brand do you use? 

What are some other must have items for the trip? I have pens, highlights, and towel clips as just bring items.

The more people you have in your cabin, the more helpful it is to have stuff hanging, and thus out of the way. 

I always bring regular magnets to use for all of my paperwork. 

People use the hooks for larger items. 

D452D688-4250-4130-A22B-4409D92D1EA2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KBYUCougar said:

I've seen on other sites that some people recommend bringing magnetic hooks to hang things in the cabin. Thoughts? Is it another money waster "tip". What brand do you use? 

What are some other must have items for the trip? I have pens, highlights, and towel clips as just bring items.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cruise+ship+magnetic+hooks&crid=2CLAZR2R7TI8U&sprefix=cfruise+ship+magnet%2Caps%2C426&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_19

I have always brought a tap light everywhere when I travel. I place it in the bathroom so those middle of the nights trips don't require you to put on the bright light. The newer ships do have a built in night light which is always on when the main light in the bathroom is off.

12 minutes ago, KBYUCougar said:

We always bring magnetic hooks.  Swimsuits and  cover-ups, light jackets, and similar.  Frees up space in closet and keeps those items at hand.  Not so much brand, but strength of magnet: get stronger.  We also got them at Amazon.

I take these two sets and love them.  Keep in mind when you look at their pound ratings, that those ratings are based being on a metal ceiling with nothing between the metal and magnet.  On walls, and depending on the thickness of the walls and wallcoverings, the magnets will only hold a fraction of their rated pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075J9WNSY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5Y9Y34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I also take a couple of these tea lights because I sometimes visit the bathroom in the middle of the night and don't want to turn the light on. For me, one's enough to give the light I like, but I take the second as an extra. They're small and super light weight. I tried dollar store ones first, but the ones I got were very hard to switch on and way too dim.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EDKGFGU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I always bring a couple of hooks or magnets with me. I hang up the paperwork so it doesn’t  get buried on the desk. I might use a hook for a hat or for the small shoulder bag I carry around the ship.   

I did read recently on cc, not to put the hook near the cabin door as the cabin attendant keeps the door open when the room is being serviced  and sometimes has to move away from the room. The door is open, and it would be easy for someone to steal a purse hanging on a hook near the door 

I take maybe a total of six magnets/magnets with a hook 

m

Keep in mind they work on the ceiling also.  I have rinsed bathing suits in the sink, then hung them from hangers on the hooks stuck to the ceiling.  Have also washed light things in the tub where also I drip dry them first, then transfer on hangers on the ceiling hooks in the cabin.  Much nicer than trying to play "Clampetts: hanging clothes on the balcony.  And no fear of blowing off the balcony.  😉 

4 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

We use these https://amzn.to/2EyxlNM

I like that they also have a couple of clips along with the hooks

Love the clips also, for hanging notes and reminders.   I have several logo clips I have bought in the gift shop on the ship that are favorites of mine.  🙂 

22 minutes ago, island lady said:

Keep in mind they work on the ceiling also.  

In fact, they work *BETTER* on the ceiling.  Whatever "weight" you buy (25 lb, 100 lb) is the strength when you pull directly away from the magnet.  Even the 100 lb version slides right down the wall if you put too much weight on them.  

We put 80 lb hooks on the ceiling and they held up a fully loaded beach bag.

• Like 2

We have an assortment of magnets and take the ones that will match our needs for that particular cruise.

More expensive, but you can hang more on them such as a heavily beaded gown or coats/jackets.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-40-lb-Neodymium-Magnet-Pull-with-Swing-Hook-97574/206503450

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-65-lb-Magnetic-Pull-Hook-07580HD/202639939

We also use these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-Handi-Hook-20-lb-Magnetic-Pull-Hook-07218HD/202639937

And this can be very handy. We love ours and use the hooks to hang it anywhere. Near the air vent drys the clothes quicker. The 6' is the perfect length and the anti-slip clips keep clothes from bunching up together.

I haven't tried it yet, but I often wake my wife when I'm on the couch and she is in bed. I googled and found that apparently the magnetic hooks can be used to hold up a shower curtain partition between the living area and bed in the room, hopefully giving more privacy and allowing me not to wake her up as much. 

After reading about the magnetic hooks here on CC, I used them for the first time this spring.  I only wished I had packed more. They were so useful, I bought another set for the next cruise.  

I also packed tea tea lights based on recommendations here, but never used those.  I think I will pass on those for future trips. 

I also recently used the magnetic hooks based on the recommendations here.  They were great because the weather was cool at night so we were wearing our sweaters and it was such a great place to hang them and to grab them when we were heading out. 

The key is to REMEMBER to take them home again 😫😫😫 (hopefully the next occupants used them if they were not thrown away)

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

The more people you have in your cabin, the more helpful it is to have stuff hanging, and thus out of the way. 

I always bring regular magnets to use for all of my paperwork. 

People use the hooks for larger items. 

D452D688-4250-4130-A22B-4409D92D1EA2.jpeg

Wow Carol.  We always take magnets for our Cruise Compasses, invites etc but the hooks are brilliant.  Just ordered a set of ten 25lb hooks from Amazon. 

After being on a ship that lost electricity on the front third of the ship - I always bring a small but powerful flashlight.  And I make sure my phone is always fully charged even though it's on airplane mode.

Yes - on magnets and a hi-lighter.  And a 3-way power adapter.