Kiwi

SempreMare

I am allergic to Kiwi.  I completed the special needs form about it when I did online checkin.

I'm going to print out all the menus from @Crew News awesome site for my Alaska 7-day 2019 Westerdam cruise and look for kiwi before I leave. 

Questions:

1) On the Westerdam's Lido buffet area, are there any stations that consistently have kiwi? 

2) Beyond asking my server about kiwi in the kitchen during that day's service, is there anything else I should do? 

19 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

I am allergic to Kiwi.  I completed the special needs form about it when I did online checkin.

I'm going to print out all the menus from @Crew News awesome site for my Alaska 7-day 2019 Westerdam cruise and look for kiwi before I leave. 

Questions:

1) On the Westerdam's Lido buffet area, are there any stations that consistently have kiwi? 

2) Beyond asking my server about kiwi in the kitchen during that day's service, is there anything else I should do? 

I have been able to obtain the Lido Market Lunch and Dinner menus on previous cruises and hope to do the same on my upcoming cruise.  If I am successful, I will combine them with the 7- Day Alaska menus already on my website so you can identify any kiwi usage.

I found no kiwi listed on any of my Specialty Restaurant menus, Alaska 2019 menus, and a scan of my 2400+ HAL recipes  found kiwi mainly in fruit appetizers, salsas, and coulis.  Fruit plates will be located across from the aft of the two Beverage Stations (giant coffee dispensers) l in the Lido Market.  Kiwi may also be used for garnish of the items in the Sweet Pot Station display case.

Across from aft Beverge Station"

image.png.bbca3d1d27a7063e7fe3266aa8e205dd.png

Sweet Spot display case:

image.png.4daa16cbad8745f15a3ab40b98a99447.png

image.png.3d9f0310956c9a3644398172808c0667.png

FWIW the ingredients of each menu item for a cruise are posted on a wall in the kitchen and your MDR waiter can easily obtain the presence of kiwi for you.  If you go on the kitchen tour on the first sea day, you will see the posted photos and can ask the head chef where any kiwi can be found.  If you are in a Neptune Suite, there may be kiwi in some of the snacks in the Neptune Lounge and you can ask the Concierge what to avoid.

While I am on board in a week, I will make it a point to ask about kiwi for you.

@Crew News

>> I have been able to obtain the Lido Market Lunch and Dinner menus on previous cruises and hope to do the same on my upcoming cruise. 
>> If I am successful, I will combine them with the 7- Day Alaska menus already on my website so you can identify any kiwi usage.

Thank you 
I am jealous you are going sooner than me! 🙂

>> I found no kiwi listed on any of my Specialty Restaurant menus, Alaska 2019 menus, 

Yay!

>> and a scan of my 2400+ HAL recipes  found kiwi mainly in fruit appetizers, salsas, and coulis.  

Ohhhh coulis and salsas.    I didn't think of that.  I'm used to just seeing it as a garnish or on fruit plates.

>> FWIW the ingredients of each menu item for a cruise are posted on a wall in the kitchen and your MDR waiter can easily obtain the presence of kiwi for you.  

>> If you go on the kitchen tour on the first sea day, you will see the posted photos and can ask the head chef where any kiwi can be found.  

>> If you are in a Neptune Suite, there may be kiwi in some of the snacks in the Neptune Lounge and you can ask the Concierge what to avoid.

3 GREAT tips for anyone with allergies!   

And yes I'm in a Neptune Suite, so good point about the Neptune Lounge.  I actually moved my room location to be closer to the Neptune Lounge from a 4'th floor aft NS.  Since this is my first cruise in eons and my first on Holland America, I figured I'd need more help than the typical passenger 🙂.  

>> While I am on board in a week, I will make it a point to ask about kiwi for you.

You are so kind.

@Crew News, could you please send me your mailing address?  I promise I am not an ax murderess ;-).  
My email is:   TravelInsuranceCompared at google.com

( I created that google account last week to publicly post a Google Sheet to the insurance forum that shows different travel insurances compared.  However, I called up Steve at the Trip Insurance Store and he made the decision very easy for me and showed how I could save $ vs what I thought I needed from my initial research.

I still might use it at some point to show what covers what (Chase Sapphire Reserved  credit card vs the insurance policy I purchased, etc.) 

In over 500 days of HAL sailing, I can hardly remember seeing any kiwi served.  Possibly there was some as a garnish on Pavlova dessert.

You must be vigilant, but there might be no kiwi on your Alaska cruise.

Barbara 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

@Crew News

>> I have been able to obtain the Lido Market Lunch and Dinner menus on previous cruises and hope to do the same on my upcoming cruise. 
>> If I am successful, I will combine them with the 7- Day Alaska menus already on my website so you can identify any kiwi usage.

Thank you 
I am jealous you are going sooner than me! 🙂

>> I found no kiwi listed on any of my Specialty Restaurant menus, Alaska 2019 menus, 

Yay!

>> and a scan of my 2400+ HAL recipes  found kiwi mainly in fruit appetizers, salsas, and coulis.  

Ohhhh coulis and salsas.    I didn't think of that.  I'm used to just seeing it as a garnish or on fruit plates.

>> FWIW the ingredients of each menu item for a cruise are posted on a wall in the kitchen and your MDR waiter can easily obtain the presence of kiwi for you.  

>> If you go on the kitchen tour on the first sea day, you will see the posted photos and can ask the head chef where any kiwi can be found.  

>> If you are in a Neptune Suite, there may be kiwi in some of the snacks in the Neptune Lounge and you can ask the Concierge what to avoid.

3 GREAT tips for anyone with allergies!   

And yes I'm in a Neptune Suite, so good point about the Neptune Lounge.  I actually moved my room location to be closer to the Neptune Lounge from a 4'th floor aft NS.  Since this is my first cruise in eons and my first on Holland America, I figured I'd need more help than the typical passenger 🙂.  

>> While I am on board in a week, I will make it a point to ask about kiwi for you.

You are so kind.

@Crew News, could you please send me your mailing address?  I promise I am not an ax murderess ;-).  
My email is:   TravelInsuranceCompared at google.com 

( I created that google account last week to publicly post a Google Sheet to the insurance forum that shows different travel insurances compared.  However, I called up Steve at the Trip Insurance Store and he made the decision very easy for me and showed how I could save $ vs what I thought I needed from my initial research.

I still might use it at some point to show what covers what (Chase Sapphire Reserved  credit card vs the insurance policy I purchased, etc.) 

Email sent and returned undeliverable.  Please use this link to contact me:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/contact

Edited by Crew News

There is a Lido Chef, at the Lido buffet whenever it is open.  You can ask for him/her anytime the Lido is open and get clarification of ingredients.  You might consider asking him/her early in the cruise what foods, if any,  have Kiwi fruit so you can avoid them.  

I am allergic to cantaloupe and honeydew and often ask the waiters in the MDR to check if a particular menu item is safe for me... things listed as tropical mix for example.  The waiters are always helpful.  m--

Sorry about that @Crew News!  I was focused on the google drive part

I typed google.com instead of gmail.com.

I should have typed:

travelinsurancecompared@gmail.com

image.png.2afd1090f6eea07ef15e91eaabaa046c.png

I sent you my personal email via your contact page; thanks!

Edited by SempreMare

13 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

There is a Lido Chef, at the Lido buffet whenever it is open.  You can ask for him/her anytime the Lido is open and get clarification of ingredients.  You might consider asking him/her early in the cruise what foods, if any,  have Kiwi fruit so you can avoid them.  

Thank you @RMLincoln I will do that.

We did have kiwi as part of our whole fresh fruit bowl delivered to our cabin and refreshed daily on the Eurodam last week. You can easily notify your cabin steward about your concern. He/she is really good about making sure no potential problem is delivered to your cabin.