Zaanse Schans

Hi everyone,

We will be in Amsterdam from May 28 until May 31 when we board the Brilliance of the Seas.  My husband and I and our two friends Barbara and Marty would like to go to Zaanse Schans on May 30 to see the countryside and windmills.  Do we need to book a tour or can we do this on our own?

Thanks for any responses.

Phyllis

A few years ago, my husband and I visited Zaanse Schans.

We took the train from Amsterdam.  The folks at the train station were very helpful and patient.  They gave us directions and advice.  I don't remember what train station we left the train, but it was an easy walk to  Zaanse Schans.  We stopped at a bakery and had lunch before we went to see the windmills.  We watched a craftsman making wooden shoes (I'm sure there were other demonstrations too).   

Their train system is very good. 

I would recommend a visit to Zaanse Schans, we enjoyed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reps23 said:

Hi everyone,

We will be in Amsterdam from May 28 until May 31 when we board the Brilliance of the Seas.  My husband and I and our two friends Barbara and Marty would like to go to Zaanse Schans on May 30 to see the countryside and windmills.  Do we need to book a tour or can we do this on our own?

Thanks for any responses.

Phyllis

We loved Zaanse Schans. You can easily DIY - we did. We took the Connexxion Bus from Amsterdam Centraal Station which took us  to the entrance of Zaanse Schans.

IMO, buses are the easiest way to reach Zaanse Schans from Amsterdam. Connexxion Bus (Line 391) connects Amsterdam four times per hour  (40 minute journey) with Zaanse Schans being the final stop.

You can also take the train - it is about a 15-20 minute walk from the station to Zaanse Schans.

Info here:

https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/plan-your-visit/accessibility/

Edited by dogs4fun

3 hours ago, reps23 said:

Do we need to book a tour or can we do this on our own?

A quick search immediately returned a few recent threads with good information on getting to Zaanse Schans:-

Very easy DIY trip, suggest getting there early before the tour buses to avoid crowds. The Connexion bus takes you quite close but I prefer the train, mainly because of the walk over the bridge and the lovely views of the windmills. The bridge opens up for ships and you may also get to see this.

• 2 weeks later...

We're planning to go there too ahead of our Baltic cruise in August. Most probably will take the train across and the bus back for a change of scenery. The train passes the small town of Zaandam, hoping to take a photo of the sign as the HAL Zaandam is one of our favorite ships!

5 hours ago, asebastian said:

We're planning to go there too ahead of our Baltic cruise in August. Most probably will take the train across and the bus back for a change of scenery. The train passes the small town of Zaandam, hoping to take a photo of the sign as the HAL Zaandam is one of our favorite ships!

Donot forget to see the hoel across from the station in Zaandam. https://www.inntelhotelsamsterdamzaandam.nl/?utm_source=GMB&utm_medium=organic

Wow Ine, that hotel looks fantastic. If we have time, we may actually get off the train for a wonder around the station and hotel for photos and jump on the next train and continue onwards. I assume the trains are quite frequent and we can use the same tickets.

3 hours ago, asebastian said:

Wow Ine, that hotel looks fantastic. If we have time, we may actually get off the train for a wonder around the station and hotel for photos and jump on the next train and continue onwards. I assume the trains are quite frequent and we can use the same tickets.

Yes you can make stop in Zaandam. Traintickets allow this since you stay at the same route. Trains on weekdays every 15 minutes. Just watch you take the right one with stop at Zaanse Schans. 

On 6/6/2019 at 7:20 AM, Ine said:

Yes you can make stop in Zaandam. Traintickets allow this since you stay at the same route. Trains on weekdays every 15 minutes. Just watch you take the right one with stop at Zaanse Schans. 

Thank you Ine - we want to do this, buy train tickets from Amsterdam Centraal to Zaanse Schans but get off at Zaandam station to visit the Inntel hotel first,  then back on the next train to continue to Zaanse Schans station. 

My question would be, given we have to "check-in" (tap-in) and "check-out" (tap-out) our train tickets, how could we get off and get back on the next train?    As in, don't we have to "check-out" (tap-out) when we get off at the Zaandam station and exit onto the street?    Does that tap-out make the ticket "complete" - or would the system still know that we have not reached out final desination (Zaanse Schans) yet.   We don't want to get into trouble trying to go back into the Zaandam station and "check-in" (tap-in) to board the next train to Zaanse Schans and the system gives an error because we have already previously checked-out (tapped out).   

Any help / insight greatly appreciated.

Edited by 4_canucks

4 hours ago, 4_canucks said:

Thank you Ine - we want to do this, buy train tickets from Amsterdam Centraal to Zaanse Schans but get off at Zaandam station to visit the Inntel hotel first,  then back on the next train to continue to Zaanse Schans station. 

My question would be, given we have to "check-in" (tap-in) and "check-out" (tap-out) our train tickets, how could we get off and get back on the next train?    As in, don't we have to "check-out" (tap-out) when we get off at the Zaandam station and exit onto the street?    Does that tap-out make the ticket "complete" - or would the system still know that we have not reached out final desination (Zaanse Schans) yet.   We don't want to get into trouble trying to go back into the Zaandam station and "check-in" (tap-in) to board the next train to Zaanse Schans and the system gives an error because we have already previously checked-out (tapped out).   

Any help / insight greatly appreciated.

You only need to checkin and out when there are barriers when entering or leaving the platforms or the station. As far as I know there are none at the Zaandam station, you can simply leave and return. You have to checkout however at Zaanse Schans station and again checkin for the return at that station. Also there there are no barriers. Just look for the yellow poles, you will see other passengers using them.

At Zaandam there are big boards stating what platform your train will leave, but almost for sure it will be the same one as where you disembarked. From Zaandam station there are sprinter (stoptrein) withj destination Uitgeest, those make stops at Zaanse Schans. It will be the 2nd stop after Zaandam. Donot take trains with destinations Hoorn, they go a different route. 

On the return of course take the ones with destination Amsterdam leaving from the platform oppsite the one you arrived.

It may sound complicated but it certainly is very easy.  People will be glad to helk you if you ask them. Enjoy!

7 hours ago, Ine said:

You only need to checkin and out when there are barriers when entering or leaving the platforms or the station. As far as I know there are none at the Zaandam station, you can simply leave and return. You have to checkout however at Zaanse Schans station and again checkin for the return at that station. Also there there are no barriers. Just look for the yellow poles, you will see other passengers using them.

At Zaandam there are big boards stating what platform your train will leave, but almost for sure it will be the same one as where you disembarked. From Zaandam station there are sprinter (stoptrein) withj destination Uitgeest, those make stops at Zaanse Schans. It will be the 2nd stop after Zaandam. Donot take trains with destinations Hoorn, they go a different route. 

On the return of course take the ones with destination Amsterdam leaving from the platform oppsite the one you arrived.

It may sound complicated but it certainly is very easy.  People will be glad to helk you if you ask them. Enjoy!

Hi Ine,

Your explanation is very clear, actually.    Thank you!    We now understand how we can stop off in Zaandam to visit the Inntel hotel on our way to Zaanse Schans.    On our return to Amsterdam we might take the Connexxion 391 bus instead, depending on where in Zaanse Schans we finish  .   Thanks again.

• Like 1