costly mistake

jayman31

I thought I clicked the prepaid tips, turns out I clicked the carnival vacation insurance...for a cruise booked in January 2020...I cancelled as I found a better deal...full refund minus the $190 for the stupid insurance that I did not want in the first place

4 hours ago, jayman31 said:

I thought I clicked the prepaid tips, turns out I clicked the carnival vacation insurance...for a cruise booked in January 2020...I cancelled as I found a better deal...full refund minus the $190 for the stupid insurance that I did not want in the first place

call them explain what happened. I'm sure you're not the first 

3 hours ago, jmcathome said:

It is refundable

I just got off the phone with Carnival and it has been refunded 🙂  I will be doing the happy dance on my cruise come January with a Miami Vice in hand.

It had to go to a supervisor for approval but yes if prior to final payment date it is refundable 😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jayman31 said:

I just got off the phone with Carnival and it has been refunded 🙂  I will be doing the happy dance on my cruise come January with a Miami Vice in hand.

It had to go to a supervisor for approval but yes if prior to final payment date it is refundable 😄 

Good to know.thanks first time I bought carnival insurance.we are getting older and more decrepit.

5 hours ago, jayman31 said:

@jayman31Glad to hear a happy ending to your problem!

Enjoy your cruise- January is a great time to head south from Toronto (born & raised in the Beaches, moved south as soon as I could- love Toronto, hate the winters!).

Edited by Shaded Lady

Glad it worked out. One should be able to cancel the insurance first and then cancel the cruise to avoid this situation (before final payment date, of course). I believe that you can cancel the insurance right through your cruise manager on the website.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Glad it worked out. One should be able to cancel the insurance first and then cancel the cruise to avoid this situation (before final payment date, of course). I believe that you can cancel the insurance right through your cruise manager on the website.

I tried and tried to do just that, but it wouldn't let me.  You can add and remove gratuities but not the insurance....once you click that plus sign to add it, even after you have made final payment....it will not allow it....lesson learned that is for sure 

30 minutes ago, jayman31 said:

I tried and tried to do just that, but it wouldn't let me.  You can add and remove gratuities but not the insurance....once you click that plus sign to add it, even after you have made final payment....it will not allow it....lesson learned that is for sure 

Yep, it's good to know.

11 hours ago, mompells said:

May I ask which insurance you do get?

There are too many factors involved to provide an answer to that since everyone's situation is different, so what is the best policy for us may not be the best policy for you. I typically go to www.insuremytrip.com where I can compare numerous policies and obtain the one that meets our needs. There is an insurance forum on Cruise Critic and there may be more guidance there.