Best place for embarkation lunch on the Amsterdam?

jennaja

I know that ship doesn't have as many dining options as some of the newer ships.  What are our options for embarkation lunch, and what would be your choice?  Any special "not to be missed" menu items we should watch for?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Unless it's closed for a special event, the MDR is a good place for embarkation lunch. It's usually between noon and 1:30, so if you board late you would have to go to the buffet. It's a somewhat limited menu, but after the hustle and bustle of getting to the port, dropping off luggage, and checking in, it's a quiet start to the cruise. I'm happy with the buffet for lunch other days, but I love the MDR for my first meal on board. 

I don't know why, but it's like some sort of state secret. Don't bother to ask about it, because the port staff won't know, and the crew welcoming people and guiding them to the elevators will tell you to go to the buffet. Just go to the MDR (usually lower level) and see if it's open. It used to be only for returning Mariners, but now it's open for all passengers. 

A "not to be missed" item at the buffet is the bread pudding. HAL's recipe is decadently rich. I don't normally like bread pudding, but I love HAL's.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

I believe you have 3 options - time may vary slightly from sailing to sailing:

Main Dining Room from noon -1:30 (usually not promoted by staff).  Limited menu but quieter atmosphere.

Lido Market from 11:30 - 3:00

Dive-In/Taco Bar from 11:30 - 3:00

• Like 1

Best place?  In-Room Dining.  My favorite while I unpack!  The MDR menu varies, not always to my liking but a good choice if we are aboard early enough.  If we are on the later end of the MDR time I won't bother.  DH likes Dive-In over the crazy buffet.  m--

• Like 1

We always go right to the MDR around Noon for a relaxing, fairly quiet lunch.  Menu is a bit limited but always good.  Most people are not even aware it is open as the crew directs people to the Lido for lunch.

• Like 2

Usually MDR is the best - apparently it is no longer just for mariners - it was never, ever crowded (because nobody really knew about it!) and it's only open for a short time, so we always go there if we board early enough and are hungry right away.  If not, it's the Dive-In at the Lido Pool for good burgers at around 2 or 3 PM.  Like others have said, I avoid the Lido on embarkation day.

• Like 1

MDR for Embarkation Day lunch for me if the MDR is open.  (Has always been so when I sailed.)  Otherwise, I probably would head for Dive-in followed by a walk through of the Lido Restaurant looking for dessert or ice cream.

• Like 1