Review of Noordam New Zealand and Trans-Pacific cruise, April 7 – May 12, 2019

1 minute ago, boards said:

When did they start having the number of times when you buy one drink and get the second one $2?  I have counted upwards to 6 and 7 times a day.  

This is the first cruise we have been on that had so many.  On Eurodam once, they had multiple happy hours in the Ocean Bar, Crow's Nest and Silk Den, but we've never seen them in the Lido Bar before.

Dave

One of the reasons I turned to Hal was I did not enjoy the Carnival atmosphere.   I hope that is not going happen.  Sad to say we are booked on the Noordam this fall on the same cruise, but starting in Vancouver.

2 minutes ago, boards said:

One of the reasons I turned to Hal was I did not enjoy the Carnival atmosphere.   I hope that is not going happen.  Sad to say we are booked on the Noordam this fall on the same cruise, but starting in Vancouver.

We generally were in the Ocean Bar for early happy hour, which was busy by HAL levels, but we never really saw a rowdy bunch anywhere at the bars, or around the Lido pool deck.  It just seemed to us to give more choice as to location and time for happy hour; those who wanted early or late, or lunchtime, could do so. 

Dave

• Like 1

May 12

Here is the cruise log for the Sydney-Vancouver crossing;

1534457395_cruiselogSydtoVan.jpg.c4769fa4040a627d7a441ba13c13ba22.jpg

And that finishes the cruise.  I will end with a photo I took of a clock on the promenade deck -- it seems to sum up life on a cruise ship, especially on at-sea days; it really doesn't matter what time it is.  And, it's five o'clock somewhere.

1231673272_fiveoclocksomewhere.jpg.6d64028ee45accdb15a1915d4da4a51a.jpg

Thanks for reading and commenting,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for your superb review and photos.

Where on the Promenade deck is that "clock" located?

Kia ora!  Thanks. 

The clock is on the bulkhead on the starboard side aft, just forward of the MDR where the wrap-around deck bends around some equipment and just before the doors to the aft elevators.  But, it will probably get fixed in the drydock.

Dave

12 hours ago, RetiredMustang said:

Kia ora!  Thanks. 

The clock is on the bulkhead on the starboard side aft, just forward of the MDR where the wrap-around deck bends around some equipment and just before the doors to the aft elevators.  But, it will probably get fixed in the drydock.

Dave

Kia Ora.

Thanks for your reply.

Winter is setting in here, 8 degrees C yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review and information. 

On previous cruises I’ve always enjoyed a drink before dinner in the Atrium, outside the Ocean Bar (I think that was the name), and there was usually a pianist or a jazz trio. I don’t see that in the schedule. We’re doing that cruise in 2020. Is there predinner entertainment there usually or is it somewhere else?

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, CMDE said:

Thanks for the great review and information. 

On previous cruises I’ve always enjoyed a drink before dinner in the Atrium, outside the Ocean Bar (I think that was the name), and there was usually a pianist or a jazz trio. I don’t see that in the schedule. We’re doing that cruise in 2020. Is there predinner entertainment there usually or is it somewhere else?

There was a piano in the Ocean Bar, but I don't remember anyone playing it before dinner, but we had early seating and there may have been someone after we left the bar.  I haven't seen a jazz trio in several cruises -- HAL has cut back on live music in the bars over the last few years, but has expanded offerings in the Lincoln Center and B.B. King venues.

Dave