Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
rkacruiser

Anyone else watching the Juneau Harbor Web Cam on May 26th?

It appears to me that there is some water pollution around and within the float plane dock as well as some pollution near the first cruise ship dock.  Very unusual; I have never observed this before.  I wonder what caused the pollution.

The arrival of Ovation of the Sea and an increased amount of float plane activity appears to have dispersed what I have been seeing in the water.  I wonder if what I have been seeing is a type of algae and, hopefully, not true pollution.  Although, I know, the wrong "type" of algae can be a major problem.

We were up there about this time one year and it was pollen from Sitka spruce, if I recall correctly.  BIG TIME pollen, from trees.  I didn't see the web cam, but that might be what you saw.  It was VERY visible in the water.

20 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

We were up there about this time one year and it was pollen from Sitka spruce, if I recall correctly.  BIG TIME pollen, from trees.  I didn't see the web cam, but that might be what you saw.  It was VERY visible in the water.

We've been to Juneau twice in the last two weeks, and yes, it's pollen that is in the water. The air is full of it and we had it in Skagway, too.  It didn't take but a few minutes for my cell sitting on the table outside to be dusted with yellow. 

7 minutes ago, idahospud said:

We've been to Juneau twice in the last two weeks, and yes, it's pollen that is in the water. The air is full of it and we had it in Skagway, too.  It didn't take but a few minutes for my cell sitting on the table outside to be dusted with yellow. 

We too wondered if it was algae or ????? (didn't want to overthink it 😉 ) but one of the locals filled us in...  🙂

Hi guys, just looked at the juneau webcam an didn't see anything in the water.

To the OP, I think that the pollen "pollution" prediction is probably precisely correct.

we are suffering the same springtime malady up here in Skagway and I do not have to look at a web cam, just my little antique car. I am currently carrying a beach towel just to  wipe the car down about three times a day.

To the last post above, gotta go crusin, look me up if you are in town?

All is well with me, so far.

DD

There was glowing yellow pollen in Ketchikan when I was there on Wednesday.

I appreciate the responses and am really glad to know that what I am seeing is due to Mother Nature and nothing else.

I am well acquainted when trees release excessive amounts of pollen.  My dark blue automobile sometimes becomes a bit on the "yellow" side of blue during the Spring.

Good to know - I'll remember my Claritin for our May 15 cruise next year! 

23 hours ago, dyeadave said:

To the OP, I think that the pollen "pollution" prediction is probably precisely correct.

we are suffering the same springtime malady up here in Skagway and I do not have to look at a web cam, just my little antique car. I am currently carrying a beach towel just to  wipe the car down about three times a day.

To the last post above, gotta go crusin, look me up if you are in town?

All is well with me, so far.

DD

Hi Dave, might get up there sometime next yr.