favorite buffet item?

On 5/27/2019 at 11:30 AM, AHS123 said:

The scrambled eggs! Tasty

Are you aware that they are not fresh made scrambled eggs? I think they are some kind of mix, either liquid or powdered. If you want GOOD scrambled eggs, go to the omelette station and tell them you want scrambled eggs from fresh eggs, not the mix. I’ve gotten just fried eggs from them. 

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Are you aware that they are not fresh made scrambled eggs? I think they are some kind of mix, either liquid or powdered. If you want GOOD scrambled eggs, go to the omelette station and tell them you want scrambled eggs from fresh eggs, not the mix. I’ve gotten just fried eggs from them. 

I am wholly aware.

• Haha 1

liquid egg is exactly as stated, 100% egg, look it up. Can you imagine someone trying to crack 1000's of eggs individually? Most hotels serve liquid egg as well on buffets. There are alternative egg options, powdered being one, but our resident expert says they use liquid. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coevan said:

liquid egg is exactly as stated, 100% egg, look it up. Can you imagine someone trying to crack 1000's of eggs individually? Most hotels serve liquid egg as well on buffets. There are alternative egg options, powdered being one, but our resident expert says they use liquid. 

I worked nearly 40 years in nice restaurants, and by the last 30 it was liquid eggs from cartons that were used. Of course the texture and moisture level are slightly different than eggs straight ffrom the pan to your plate.

One thing I actually WISH was in the buffet was replace the Mongolian Wok with a Chinese buffet. Call me crazy, but I'm not overly impressed with the Wok, especially with the long wait. Give me some premade  Lo Mein, General Tsos, Egg Rolls, etc and I'd be a-ok with that!

• Like 3

Working in Food Service for years and I swear one of the biggest Urban Legends are "Liquid eggs are fake". People literally demand you crack them some fresh eggs right in front of their eyes. Funny thing to me always been if you really taste the difference why do you need to see them being cracked? Most can't tell the difference. It's a mental thing

Edited by StarOne1
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

Of course the texture and moisture level are slightly different than eggs straight ffrom the pan to your plate.

I also have been in food service for 50 years, yes, since my teens. As StarOne and I concur, they are eggs. The cooking technique is what changes the moisture and texture. At the volume CCL does, I "assume" they bake the eggs in a full pan, if not constantly stirred  they can be dry and overcooked. Amazingly on the Conquest, they were excellent, actually had some moisture. 

13 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I always heard how good the reubens were so I got one.   The corned beef was so fatty I couldn't eat it.

Ew, that sounds bad.  The meat on board may be hit or miss.  Usually I can eat the bacon if they cook it extra crisp, but on one cruise it was disgusting.   It was on the Imagination & it was simply rancid.  I only wanted one or two pieces too, but the guy plopped a huge pile of on my plate before I could stop him.  All wasted except for 2 small bites.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:48 PM, CheersPkg4Us said:

Technically, it's not the buffet but the strawberry soft serve ice cream is the real deal !

Finding strawberry in the machine is like finding gold

• Like 1

20 hours ago, drgonzogoo said:

They have toasted brussel sprouts on the lunch buffet sometimes, and they are amazing!! I also enjoy the concoctions that they make with the leftovers!!

Really??  I've never seen these & I love brussel sprouts!!!  I never get them at home because I am the only one who eats them.  Thanks for the tip; will definitely be on the lookout for them next month!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StarOne1 said:

Working in Food Service for years and I swear one of the biggest Urban Legends are "Liquid eggs are fake". People literally demand you crack them some fresh eggs right in front of their eyes. Funny thing to me always been if you really taste the difference why do you need to see them being cracked? Most can't tell the difference. It's a mental thing

Hey now, we are all experts that know at no point are eggs liquid before they are cooked 🙄

Mass preparation of foods has everything down to a science. The "liquid eggs" have just taken a few steps away from preparation to speed up the process. Imagine how much longer the omelet station would take if we had to wait for each egg to be cracked and whisked. I've never had a problem with Carnival's eggs because there is no problem with the eggs.

I wonder how many people base things like this off the reason why they need to spend double on a luxury liner to see the egg being cracked.

2 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

@Butterbean1000 

I found a picture of these egg custard tarts... thought I'd share!

Egg Custard Tarts.jpg

See them sitting next to the lemon poppy muffins (one of my favorites)

on Breeze in March, the lemon poppy muffins were only available on sporadic days😟

On 5/28/2019 at 9:22 AM, Domergirl said:

There is a seafood fritter that they serve when they do the "Caribbean" lunch, and it's delicious.    

Someone said mozzarella sticks...but I've never seen those in 20+ cruises on Carnival (only at the Kid's dinner offered through Camp, on Lido).  Have I missed those all these years???  Those are a weakness for me...

I second the seafood fritters on the caribbean lunch buffet.  I can eat a whole plate full of them!

Well this is a breakfast favorite of ours.  The french toast, cream cheese, & strawberry sauce they have on the buffet.  It reminds me of IHOP stuffed french toast, lol.  But yeah sometimes you have to get a lil creative. 😉

I like to take some eggs to Blue Iguana for salsas, cheese, and other tasty toppings.  YUM!  Also French Toast with peanut butter and syrup is delish.  The new cakes at lunch are pretty good, but I have yet to find a cruise ship dessert that tastes as good as it looks.  

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, Joebucks said:

One thing I actually WISH was in the buffet was replace the Mongolian Wok with a Chinese buffet. Call me crazy, but I'm not overly impressed with the Wok, especially with the long wait. Give me some premade  Lo Mein, General Tsos, Egg Rolls, etc and I'd be a-ok with that!

Panda Express at sea! I'd be down for some orange chicken and egg rolls.

Just now, coevan said:

Are you implying this is a good thing? Panda Express is the McDonalds of Chinese food, yuk

It was the first thing I could think of, but the point is the same; a few North American Chinese selections at the buffet would be nice as well (because 95% of passengers wouldn't eat real Chinese food).