Travel Binoculars, < $500 ?

Am looking for a very good pair of travel binoculars for < $500.

I'll use these across at least 4 trips in the next 2 years, including to Alaska this summer.  Lots of land time and boat time looking at marine wildlife and glaciers.

If you had those needs, what specs and features would you consider essential?

• Like 1

Probably best starting with what the numbers mean.

The first number is the magnification. For use at sea, most binoculars supplied to ship's bridges are 7x or 8x. As the magnification increases, on a ship (moving + vibration) you will get increased blurred views. On a cruise ship, you can normally get good results with up to 10x. Note - I use 12x, but have used binoculars at sea for 40 years, don't recommend going above 10x.

The 2nd number is the diameter of the optics and determines the amount of light visible. The larger the number, the brighter the view, but the binocular is larger and often heavier. Most ship's binoculars are x35 or x50.

Another feature available is Auto-focus or Perma-focus. Unlike camera lenses, the binoculars I use are fixed focus. They focus from about 10-20' to infinity. Therefore, no need to adjust focus when looking at wildlife, etc.

Field of view, given as an angle and also horizontal length at 1,000' out. The larger the number the easier to spot small targets. The field of view is generally reduced as magnification increases. I like binoculars with almost 400' FoV. 

Both shipping lines I worked for supplied Bushnell binoculars. They are a reasonable binocular that handle normal wear and tear, but don't generally like being dropped. For binoculars at sea, I normally recommend either Bushnell or Swarovski. The Swarovski's were amazing when I trialed them for a few months, but they are well out of your price range.

Therefore, I suggest a pair of Bushnell 10x50 perma-focus, probably at a cost of about $100. You can pay more for other brands, but very few have specs better than these ones. Also note, when they got damaged optics, it was cheaper to throw them away than paying to fix them.

• Thanks 1

Binoculars for Alaska need a wide field of view and not too strong that they are affected by wind/ship vibration.  In addtion, they need to be fog resistant, have good low-light capability, and small enough to fit in a camera bag.

Here is a link to what I chose after a week of searching and reading reviews:

https://www.celestron.com/products/trailseeker-8x42-binoculars 

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much @Crew News and @Heidi13 !   

I am going to run out to Academy Sports and Dicks Sporting Goods to lay hands on several pair. 

I've thought more about my "use cases", and they vary ...

I could see myself wanting to use these for long periods of time from the ship or on my balcony.  Here, weight doesn't matter as much (assuming my elbows would work as props when my arms became tired.) 

I could also see wanting to have these with me on full day excursions when I'd be tired of that weight + my camera...

Questions I'm thinking about: 

- If I wanted 1 size smaller, what would you recommend?   

Or, at that point, for all day walking around, if I really wanted smaller should I carry a monocular?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Monoculars/ci/1025/N/4083163871?origSearch=monocular

- For the binocular, Image stabilization looks interesting.  

ex:

After the 10x30 model, price goes up sharply. 

ex: 10x30 @ $500  --> 10x42 @ 1300 = + $800 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canon image stabilized binocular&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Edited by SempreMare

In addition to Sporting Goods stores, you may also want to check out Ship Chandlers, if you are heading to the coast. Marine use has different needs from sporting goods/hunting.

Have never used IS binoculars and in 40 years on the Bridge never found a need for that feature. The price alone would put me off. Just looking at the 10x30, the field of view is a very low 315', which makes it challenging to locate small objects. Would not consider 18x50, as the 20x Swarovski's I used had a very small field of view, making it difficult to spot small targets. FoV reduces with increased magnification.

Never found an issue with weight, as I usually carry them around my neck, or over the shoulder with a strap. However, when going smaller, be aware of the reduced light, so they are less useable at night/dawn/dusk.

If you want to scan for wildlife with stabilized binoculars, moving the binoculars would drive the system crazy and require a lot of battery use.  Trying to use them on a rocking whale-watching boat would be a real trick.  Now, if you want to pick a bird and stare at it for awhile, the stabilization would be fine.  

I have never used a monocular except as a spotting scope so cannot recommend for general purpuse magnification over a wide area.

Edited by Crew News

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

However, when going smaller, be aware of the reduced light, so they are less useable at night/dawn/dusk.

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In addition to Sporting Goods stores, you may also want to check out Ship Chandlers, if you are heading to the coast. Marine use has different needs from sporting goods/hunting.

re: Low light at Dawn / dusk ;  good point.   I have never seen Alaska's Midnight Sun but I imagine it the "night" conditions are reduced light enough to need good low light performance.

re: "Ship Chandlers"

Learning new words... Do you mean a store / chain or someone who functions as that role in general? 

https://www.marineinsight.com/careers-2/who-is-a-ship-chandler/

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

If you want to scan for wildlife with stabilized binoculars, moving the binoculars would drive the system crazy and require a lot of battery use.  Trying to use them on a rocking whale-watching boat would be a real trick.  Now, if you want to pick a bird and stare at it for awhile, the stabilization would be fine.  

Ahhh. OK. 

Yes, I will be on one of those "rocking whale watching boats!"

In fact, I will be on the Viewfinder for 8.5 hours!  ::eek:: 

image.thumb.png.e477909d50288414dc20df9dffca70ee.png

https://majormarine.com/tour/8-5-hour-northwestern-fjord-cruise/

As long as I don't die from trying all these new things I'll be happy :-). 

The ships chandler would be the shop that sells the things related to boats and boating. The one near here stocks everything from life jackets, clothing, widgets, etc etc.

Try somewhere like West Marine in Austin.

• Like 1

Ship Chandler is a Marine Supply Store, that sells a variety of ship related equipment.  Visiting a couple of different suppliers will provide a larger selection, as many of them are contracted to specific manufacturers.

Don't get a monocular!

8x42 or 10x42 is a good choice for good general purpose binoculars.  You can get some very good ones for under 500.00 in many different brands.

But if you're willing to spend up to 500.00 consider quality compacts.  Zeiss Terra 8x25 are around 300.00 - compact binoc's with great optics for the price. 

I wouldn't worry about image stabilization - not necessary for most people.  If you're concerned about holding the image steady just get 8x instead of 10x.

Optics for Birding is a nice site to explore different options - and good customer service/fair pricing.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:05 AM, Heidi13 said:

Therefore, I suggest a pair of Bushnell 10x50 perma-focus, probably at a cost of about $100. You can pay more for other brands, but very few have specs better than these ones. Also note, when they got damaged optics, it was cheaper to throw them away than paying to fix them.

Those would be BIG.  Bigger than most people want to lug around on vacation.  OP is obviously looking for something smaller if they're considering monoculars.  As for "specs", sure those Bushnell's have the numbers and are OK binoculars, but if someone is willing to spend 500.00 they can get binoculars half the size that will gather more light and perform better regardless of what the "specs" are on the cheaper larger ones....

Optics are a perfect example of "you get what you pay for".  OP - your willingness to spend a few hundred bucks will be rewarded and you'll be glad you did :classic_smile:

Edited by bouhunter

57 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Those would be BIG.  Bigger than most people want to lug around on vacation.  OP is obviously looking for something smaller if they're considering monoculars.  As for "specs", sure those Bushnell's have the numbers and are OK binoculars, but if someone is willing to spend 500.00 they can get binoculars half the size that will gather more light and perform better regardless of what the "specs" are on the cheaper larger ones....

Optics are a perfect example of "you get what you pay for".  OP - your willingness to spend a few hundred bucks will be rewarded and you'll be glad you did :classic_smile:

In the original post the OP requested information on specs & features, which were provided. A monocular was only referenced in a subsequent post, should they consider something smaller than x50. In suggesting x50, I quoted both the benefits (greater light) and negative of bulk & weight. Personally, I have no problem with 12x50 (although they will be replaced with 10x50) and a Canon 5D camera + lens.

Going back to our days of optics theory, I still recall that 50 mm let in about 50% more light than 35mm and about 40% more than 42mm. For using at night and twilight, the larger optics have a definite advantage. While I didn't mention it in my initial response, you can also research "exit pupil diameter", which is objective lens diameter divided by magnification. This dictates the amount of light entering the eye.

Agree that you get what you pay for in optics, regardless of whether purchasing binoculars, lenses, etc. If money was no object, my preference is Swarovski, but they are $2,000 +++. However, having trialed then on my ship for a number of months, they were virtually indestructible. Spectacular optics.

In an attempt to replace the Bushnells, I have also trialed more expensive brands of binoculars on the Bridge and while they have better quality optics, they didn't last much longer, if any, than the much cheaper Bushnells.

For travelling extensively, binoculars are subject to wear & tear, in/out of buses/tenders, ship vibration, ship pounding, etc hence my preference for lower quality optics coupled with large FoV. Don't mind throwing away $100 binoculars, but $350 - $500 binoculars is a tougher decision.

With any reasonable amount of care in average travel a quality pair of binoculars will last for decades.  They'll only get damaged in a fluke accident of if treated carelessly.  I have binoc's that have travelled hundreds of miles in open aluminum boats on arctic rivers and lakes, and done hundreds more miles by foot and atv on the tundra.  They may show a little wear on the outside, but still perform like new.  I feel "potential damage and throwing them away" is a poor reason to talk someone out of quality optics that can provide years of pleasure.

10 hours ago, bouhunter said:

With any reasonable amount of care in average travel a quality pair of binoculars will last for decades.  They'll only get damaged in a fluke accident of if treated carelessly.  I feel "potential damage and throwing them away" is a poor reason to talk someone out of quality optics that can provide years of pleasure.

In 40 years of working on ships, one of the first things we are taught is care of the basic tools - binoculars were one of those tools.

On board ships, I can assure you that binoculars do not only get damaged by a fluke accident or careless treatment. Our binoculars were stored in padded boxes, but were still damaged by vibration and pounding. As indicated on a previous post, I have also participated in studies to select replacement binoculars and the moderate priced brands ($300 - $500) really did not fare much better than the cheaper brands, for use aboard passenger ships.

In my experience working on ships, the longevity of binoculars is a very valid concern, hence the reason for bringing it to the attention of the OP.

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In 40 years of working on ships, one of the first things we are taught is care of the basic tools - binoculars were one of those tools.

On board ships, I can assure you that binoculars do not only get damaged by a fluke accident or careless treatment. Our binoculars were stored in padded boxes, but were still damaged by vibration and pounding. As indicated on a previous post, I have also participated in studies to select replacement binoculars and the moderate priced brands ($300 - $500) really did not fare much better than the cheaper brands, for use aboard passenger ships.

In my experience working on ships, the longevity of binoculars is a very valid concern, hence the reason for bringing it to the attention of the OP.

We really aren't disagreeing about optics themselves, I just don't think "damage potential" is a good reason to buy cheap binoculars.  Sure, if someone is worried about their binoc's getting damaged then I guess they should buy 100.00 Bushnell's.

I can say that my moderately priced optics (binoculars and spotting scopes) have been through 80 mile trips in 18' aluminum boats beating through 2-3' waves for hours.  The duffel they are in is lying in the bottom of the boat at all times.  Then another few hundred miles around my neck in boats over a week of hunting each time.  I guess they took a pounding :classic_tongue:  So far so good.

Our time on the water has been in different watercraft, but I guess we're both putting our optics to the test!:classic_smile:

Edited by bouhunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something to keep an eye out for as well is the prism.  Someone might be able to explain this better but I know the cheaper binoculars will use a BAK-7 prism and you'll get a cloudy picture, while BAK-4 is the good sort.  I believe it's to do with the glass quality. Very noticeable when you pick up a pair of each. (probably not an issue you'll come accross with brand names and high prices but for people who might trade some extra magnification for a lesser brand it seems worth mentioning)

Also, make sure you can hold them up comfortably. My dad bought a large pair for the extra magnification but he steals mine whenever he goes away now because he found his too cumbersome to hold up for any period of time.

6 minutes ago, 10987654321blastoff said:

Something to keep an eye out for as well is the prism.  Someone might be able to explain this better but I know the cheaper binoculars will use a BAK-7 prism and you'll get a cloudy picture, while BAK-4 is the good sort.  I believe it's to do with the glass quality. Very noticeable when you pick up a pair of each. (probably not an issue you'll come accross with brand names and high prices but for people who might trade some extra magnification for a lesser brand it seems worth mentioning)

Also, make sure you can hold them up comfortably. My dad bought a large pair for the extra magnification but he steals mine whenever he goes away now because he found his too cumbersome to hold up for any period of time.

BAK-4 is a superior quality optic, which may also have better anti-reflective coatings.

In addition, the respective designs of BAK 4 & 7 affect the quality of the exit pupils. The BAK-4 prisms have nicely rounded exit pupils, whereas BAK-7's are squared off, which may cause blurred edges.

However, in daylight when your eye pupils are small, you should notice minimal difference between BAK-4 & BAK-7 prisms. At dawn/dusk, or at night, with lower light levels your pupils expand, which may show the shaded areas on the BAK-7 prisms.

To summarise, for the majority of daytime users you should not see much difference between BAK- 4 & BAK-7.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 6:05 AM, 10987654321blastoff said:

I'm picturing two big telescopes gaffa taped together.

How about Swarovski BTX? https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/atx-stx-btx-c210201

Obviously you need to use the spotting scope on a sturdy tripod, so not the most mobile solution. And from the few times I have tested that BTX eyepiece I have found that it is not that comfortable to use. Also, spotting scopes in general are not very useful on a moving ship since there is always some distracting motion.

• 3 weeks later...

One mistake I now realize I made during trip #1 West Marine visit:   

I took off my glasses to do the try-on.
I don't want to have to take off my glasses when on a whale watching tour or even on the cruise.

I've also considered: Should I just use my new superzoom Panasonic camera
I decided this was a bad idea.

--------

Todays' In-person try-on trip #2 to Academy Sports:

With my glasses ON, The *only* binoculars where I could see a single circle of vision was the Diamond Back 12x50 roof prism binoculars for $260.
I think it was this pair

All the rest, including all the Leupolds, I could only see 2 separate circles when looking through the binoculars.

My view through binoculars IS supposed to be just 1 circle, right?

Edited by SempreMare