Maho Beach/Princess Juliana Airport Shore Excursion

hylas102

We'll be on the Regal Princess next year with a stop in St. Maarten.  I'm looking for a recommendation for a shore excursion or reliable transportation service on St. Maarten for going to Maho Beach to view the airplanes at Princess Juliana Airport.  My DH and I are crazy about planes and have always wanted to see the landings up close.  The thing is, we're not really beach people, and the shore excursion to Maho Beach with Princess is part of a snorkel cruise.  Ideally, we'd like to get private transportation to a good viewing spot, hang around for an hour, and then get private transportation back to the ship.  If anyone has a recommendation or a experience doing something like this, I would really appreciate it!

Check out Bernards tours. He is very highly recommended. His last stop is usually two hours at the beach, but if you're not interested, he will take you back to the cruise port, or drop you off at Front St for some shopping. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 11:34 AM, hylas102 said:

We'll be on the Regal Princess next year with a stop in St. Maarten.  I'm looking for a recommendation for a shore excursion or reliable transportation service on St. Maarten for going to Maho Beach to view the airplanes at Princess Juliana Airport.  My DH and I are crazy about planes and have always wanted to see the landings up close.  The thing is, we're not really beach people, and the shore excursion to Maho Beach with Princess is part of a snorkel cruise.  Ideally, we'd like to get private transportation to a good viewing spot, hang around for an hour, and then get private transportation back to the ship.  If anyone has a recommendation or a experience doing something like this, I would really appreciate it!

It is so easy to grab a cab and do it yourself. There is a little restaurant/bar right at the beach/end of the runway.  Have a drink little bit of food watch the planes. 

Just give yourself time to get back. 1.5 hours minimum do to traffic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bases5 said:

It is so easy to grab a cab and do it yourself. There is a little restaurant/bar right at the beach/end of the runway.  Have a drink little bit of food watch the planes. 

Just give yourself time to get back. 1.5 hours minimum do to traffic. 

Absolutely correct...this is exactly what we do and have done many times.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 9:45 PM, Ashland said:

Absolutely correct...this is exactly what we do and have done many times.

Ashland, are there usually taxis waiting around at Maho/Sunset Beach Bar to take you back to the port, or is it best to schedule a return trip? Do you remember the taxi cost? Thanks!

6 hours ago, CML13 said:

Ashland, are there usually taxis waiting around at Maho/Sunset Beach Bar to take you back to the port, or is it best to schedule a return trip? Do you remember the taxi cost? Thanks!

Lot's of taxi's at Sunset Beach Bar...right in front...a very busy area. We buy the round trip taxi..much easier...show them your ticket and they direct you to one of the large taxi vans that hold 10-12 passengers..it quickly fills up and your on your way back. I believe we paid $12.00pp for our round trip...rates are posted at the taxi stand.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Lot's of taxi's at Sunset Beach Bar...right in front...a very busy area. We buy the round trip taxi..much easier...show them your ticket and they direct you to one of the large taxi vans that hold 10-12 passengers..it quickly fills up and your on your way back. I believe we paid $12.00pp for our round trip...rates are posted at the taxi stand.

That sounds very easy and reasonable pricing, that's the way to go. Thanks very much, really appreciate the helpful information!

21 hours ago, CML13 said:

That sounds very easy and reasonable pricing, that's the way to go. Thanks very much, really appreciate the helpful information!

You're very welcome...It's easy as you'll see when you get there...We ask to be dropped off in town on the return if you have time (no price difference) rather than back at the taxi stand. We like to walk through town before heading back to the ship and opt to pay (independently) the small one way fee for the water taxi..

Enjoy what ever works best for you !!

Edited by Ashland

On 9/20/2019 at 1:58 AM, Ashland said:

You're very welcome...It's easy as you'll see when you get there...We ask to be dropped off in town on the return if you have time (no price difference) rather than back at the taxi stand. We like to walk through town before heading back to the ship and opt to pay (independently) the small one way fee for the water taxi..

Enjoy what ever works best for you !!

Ashland, that's another great tip, thank you! I would like to check out the cheese shop in town, so will definitely follow your advice. Thanks again for all your helpful tips, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and offer assistance 🙂

6 hours ago, CML13 said:

Ashland, that's another great tip, thank you! I would like to check out the cheese shop in town, so will definitely follow your advice. Thanks again for all your helpful tips, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and offer assistance 🙂

You're so welcome..have a wonderful trip !!