Northern lights cruises

cruisewiththekids

Since Viking does not publish its reason for making any of its decisions, there is no way of ever knowing why they have taken a particular action.  Idle speculation only begets trouble and a flood of groundless rumors and gossip. Perhaps this is just one of those times when the less said, the better.

• Like 5

I have this cruise booked for 2020, but may need to cancel.  I would feel better about canceling if I knew there would be a future opportunity for this itinerary.    Certainly the question was not motivated by any other reason.   I was hoping those more experienced Viking cruisers might at least know if they would release all 2021 at one time or whether there may be more yet to come based on how releases have happened in the past. 

4 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I have this cruise booked for 2020, but may need to cancel.  I would feel better about canceling if I knew there would be a future opportunity for this itinerary.    Certainly the question was not motivated by any other reason.   I was hoping those more experienced Viking cruisers might at least know if they would release all 2021 at one time or whether there may be more yet to come based on how releases have happened in the past. 

From info gathered on the Viking website for the existing fleet, the Viking ships will be spending Winter, 2021 in the following locations. Norway is not in the cards for these ships.:

• Star -- Caribbean
  • Sea -- Mediterranean
  • Sky -- Caribbean
  • Sun -- World Cruise
  • Orion -- South Pacific (Australia/New Zealand)
  • Jupiter -- South America
  •  

Venus and Tellus are schedule for launch in 2021, probably later in the year. I don't know if they are booking yet or even when this information will become available.

Edited by Peregrina651

14 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

Hi, 

On the subject of needing to cancel, we have been in that position this year due to ill health. We had to make the call luckily before the date of the final balance and Viking were good at allowing us to change our date to next year. As the flights had been booked and paid for we lost that part of the deposit but the rest was put to the new cruise. 

As for seeing the Northern lights, if you are lucky enough for them to make an appearance it’s an amazing experience but purely down to your luck on the day, we were very fortunate, the people going out the following night were not. We were on a P&O ship which we wouldn’t recommend but Norway is a beautiful, scenic country and we are glad we visited it. 

2 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

When you canceled, did Viking require you to immediately choose another date, or do they keep your funds on deposit for a period of time until you decide on a new sail date?

Hi,

They gave us a few days, when I made the call we were half expecting them to say they couldn’t do anything for us so hadn’t made a decision for anything else. 

• 1 month later...
2021 is showing, just click on the year

Maybe it's a mobile thing, or maybe a US thing, but I'm not seeing 2021 anywhere. 15b04dce1a0fbe9a6190e96ad03dfa8f.jpg

EDIT: Found the problem. For mobile you have to select "Filter by" and there you can select 2021.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glad its sorted, we did the trip this year, it was excellent with several good sightings, the only downside was the last couple of days, yes we were on that one!

If you go I am sure you will enjoy

I second Haworth's thoughts....also having been on the  3/14 Sky sailing. It truly is an amazing journey. The winter scenery along those passages we sailed through was incredible. And, while a northern lights sighting is the 'icing on the cake', actually the trip is well worth it even withOUT seeing them. Places like Alta and Tromsø are just so unique (at least for me anyway, having never been that far north in that part of the world. 

On 5/27/2019 at 6:55 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Since Viking does not publish its reason for making any of its decisions, there is no way of ever knowing why they have taken a particular action.  Idle speculation only begets trouble and a flood of groundless rumors and gossip. Perhaps this is just one of those times when the less said, the better.

Guess your thoughts are likely applicable to the events of 3/22-23 as well.