Uber or Private Drivers in Juneau

niborHS

We don't really want to book an excursion in Juneau, but would like to have someone to take us around to the highlights, Mendenhall Glacier, Douglas Island, places like that. When we have been on other cruise ships, the Caribbean, Belize, the west coast of Mexico, we have always found people like that. Am I being optimistic thinking we can do it this way? If anyone has contact with someone like that, would love to get a recommendation too. 

In 2013 we got off the ship and there was a guy we paid to take us around. Was the best money we ever spent. But I have no idea if they still have people. I was back in 2015 and 2017 but can't recall if people were there to do that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It is so easy driving in Juneau that you might want to consider renting a car for the day. You can easily get to all those highlights in your own with a car and then you control your time and itinerary. We have done it many times and love having our own wheels. 

10 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Is there a pointer to a DIY driving-around-Juneau guide somewhere?   I have been to Juneau a few times--did the whale watching and Mendenhall (city bus).   But never drove.  

I'm not familiar with a guide, but if you do some research online about some of the top sight seeing options outside of and around Juneau, you can map them out - there is basically one road out of town and one road over to Douglas Island so everything is very easy to reach. Sites  we have visited using our own car include: Mendenhall Glacier, Chapel By The Lake, Shrine of Saint Therese, Auke Bay, Eagle Beach, Salmon Bake, Macauley Salmon Hatchery (we fished here - so much fun!), Last Chance Mining Museum and Perseverance Trail, and the Treadwell Mine Ruins and Treadwell Mine Historic trail (on Douglas Island). Feel free and ask me any questions if any of that sounds interesting to you!

42 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

Supposedly Uber isn’t allowed in Alaska (at least that’s what a taxi guy told me). We had to do everything through the local cab service all throughout Alaska, which added up very quickly.

The Alaska State Legislature had to modify our wage and hour laws in 2017 (or was it 2016) to allow Uber and Lyft to operate.  They certainly operate in Fairbanks, but I have no idea how available the service actually is (ie, how many folks are willing to offer the service).

Uber was available in Anchorage in 2017 and 2018.

Lyft was available in Juneau in 2018 (but not Uber).

Fewer drivers available but it's Alaska, what would you expect?

Didn't check last week as I didn't need them.  

• 7 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 4:26 PM, karatemom2 said:

I'm not familiar with a guide, but if you do some research online about some of the top sight seeing options outside of and around Juneau, you can map them out - there is basically one road out of town and one road over to Douglas Island so everything is very easy to reach. Sites  we have visited using our own car include: Mendenhall Glacier, Chapel By The Lake, Shrine of Saint Therese, Auke Bay, Eagle Beach, Salmon Bake, Macauley Salmon Hatchery (we fished here - so much fun!), Last Chance Mining Museum and Perseverance Trail, and the Treadwell Mine Ruins and Treadwell Mine Historic trail (on Douglas Island). Feel free and ask me any questions if any of that sounds interesting to you!

Hi Karatemom2, can you give me more details on fishing at the hatchery. My 17 year old really wants to salmon fish in Juneau. I have looked at charters but they are expensive. Shore fishing is fine. But I am having a difficult time tracking down where to rent poles, etc.

thanks!

1 hour ago, dimama said:

Hi Karatemom2, can you give me more details on fishing at the hatchery. My 17 year old really wants to salmon fish in Juneau. I have looked at charters but they are expensive. Shore fishing is fine. But I am having a difficult time tracking down where to rent poles, etc.

thanks!

Check this place out ... they provide all gear for shore fishing in Juneau:

https://chumfun.com/