travel insurance

mompells

49 minutes ago, mompells said:

If you buy travel insurance, who do you get it from?  Is their anything that I should look out for in particular?  TIA!

Your question just begs for me to ask 100 more questions just to answer your 1 question.

There are a million things to look out for. Number 1 being,, what exactly is it you want to protect?

When I was a pup and just starting to travel, I knew I was a grown up when I bought travel insurance. Man, now if I miss my flight, all I have to do is call the travel insurance and they'll buy me a new ticket. Man, if I get sick or hurt, the travel insurance will cover all my bills.  Thankfully, I never needed travel insurance in those early days because I would have been in for a shock 😮

Most important thing is what do you want to insure against?

Myself? I can absorb a $5000 hit if I have to cancel. It will hurt like hell, but I'll survive. I cannot absorb a $50,000 medical bill though.

Cruise line insurances are expensive , have low medical and evac coverage but usually include a (CFAR) Cancel For Any Reason rider. That's right. You can just call up and cancel for any ole reason up to sail away, and they will give you a future cruise credit for 50% - up to 100% depending on cruise line and policy purchased. (Princess Platinum is 100%)

I usually go with 3rd party policies

www.tripinsurancestore.com

www.insuremytrip.com

These companies are brokers who will let you choose amongst various policies that meet you needs.

These policies are usually cheaper, have higher coverages but are age dependant and the CFAR coverages are an additional add on in costs.

Read thru here and you'll be on your way to some good information

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-frequently-asked-questions/

Edited by klfrodo

I agree with klfrodo. I'm not that concerned about covering the cost of a trip I have to cancel, but I am concerned about medical coverage and evacuation coverage. Interestingly, most travelers are much more focused on recouping the cost of the trip. So, you have to decide what is important to you, and what it is you want to protect/insure. 

DH and I have always believed in the adage that insurance should only be used for something you cannot recover yourself from. For example, the cost of the trip, it's money already spent, money you can afford to do without, and would disappoint us to lose it but won't damage us to lose it. Conversely, a medical emergency in a far away place, and possible evacuation, could jump up into the 5 to 6 digits price, and would be painful to absorb.