Johnny Rockets - disappointed

I ate at JR once or twice on land because it was convenient and the best choice in the area that I was in. Nothing to write home about just a burger and fries. Couldn't care less about the 50's theme  as it was before my time. I am not one to pay to eat in the specialty restaurants to begin with but when I do It's not a franchised land based restaurant. I'm sure it stimulates the palate of the average high school kid but for me it's just a hamburger and fries with a theme. Not willing to pay for it and it wouldn't sway me to book a Boardwalk balcony or whatever category room to eat there complementary. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Yeah I probably wouldn't even if it was free either. Just not that great of a burger, and I have yet to find a really good burger on Royal. Maybe that burger in the pic on the cruise planner for Jamie's lunch? We shall see. 

How Ironic would it be if the Italian restaurant served the best burger?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MightyMike said:

This is one area where Carnival has Royal Caribbean beat. I'm not really a burger person myself, but I've heard people rave about Guy's Burger Joint. And the cost? Included.

I don't understand why anyone should have to pay for a hamburger and fries on any cruise line It's the bottom of the food group chain and if you have to go to a specialty restaurant and pay for a decent burger something is wrong.

• Like 3

We had a Boardwalk balcony last cruise but never went there.  The year before we did and I thought it wasn't anything  I wanted to repeat.

I know I am weird but I ordered a malted and all it was, was a very vanilla tasting milk shake.  Good day, when I was young a  malted had a malt flavor to it, not a heavy vanilla flavor.

I have no desire to go there again, land or sea.

12 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

We had a Boardwalk balcony last cruise but never went there.  The year before we did and I thought it wasn't anything  I wanted to repeat.

I know I am weird but I ordered a malted and all it was, was a very vanilla tasting milk shake.  Good day, when I was young a  malted had a malt flavor to it, not a heavy vanilla flavor.

I have no desire to go there again, land or sea.

I must be dating myself but I remember when you could buy the malted milk powder in the supermarket.  I remember when my mother got her first blender as a Christmas gift. That first few months we had many malted milk shakes. I don't think anyone makes them that way anymore. Well certainly not the fast food chains. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I must be dating myself but I remember when you could buy the malted milk powder in the supermarket.  I remember when my mother got her first blender as a Christmas gift. That first few months we had many malted milk shakes. I don't think anyone makes them that way anymore. Well certainly not the fast food chains. 

I had my first malted milk shake at a mom and pop ice cream shop in New Jersey. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I couldn't stand it. My in-laws loved it though.

1 minute ago, awestover89 said:

I had my first malted milk shake at a mom and pop ice cream shop in New Jersey. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I couldn't stand it. My in-laws loved it though.

If you didn't grow up on it, it is an acquired taste. And for the sake fo authenticity Johnny Rockets should be making them that way since It's Theme is a "Malt shop of the 50's".  Growing up in the 60's and 70's malts were replaced by thick shakes in the 70's. If you didn't burst a lung trying to suck it up, it wasn't thick enough.

It's the same on NCL ships with Margaritaville. At least their burger is really good, but, at a cover charge of $30 or more for two they deliver an oversize appetizer, entree and dessert which is way more food than you can eat for lunch. And you can't take it with you. The place is empty most of the time even though the buffet burgers are also tasteless disks.

8 hours ago, MightyMike said:

This is one area where Carnival has Royal Caribbean beat. I'm not really a burger person myself, but I've heard people rave about Guy's Burger Joint. And the cost? Included.

Probably the only thing better on Carnival.

• Like 1

Can anyone say Rita's Cantina?  If you're planning an upcharge eatery, then do it right, create the value to justify the upcharge.  Bottom line,  RCL?  More often than not, usually most of the time, people aren't as stupid as your marketing team projects/expects them to be.

We have like, forever wandered past Johnny Rockets on board as if it wasn't even there. And, every time we did? Noticed not a single person at it. I'm wondering when they'll ditch the idea.

13 hours ago, gerif said:

Went to JR years ago on our first RCI cruise when it was free (had long lines to get in). Totally unimpressed. Burgers were okay but nothing to write home about, fries tasted of freezer burn and chocolate shake, well, it was made with vanilla ice cream so not very “chocolately at all. Didn’t go back for quite a while, even gave away our free C&A coupons that were given once they started charging. I think we went back one more time. I enjoyed the Oreo sundae but nothing else was worth the price. Maybe if I had youngsters, but the burgers in the MDR were just as good. 

Went first year 20yrs ago on Voyager, with Chops they were Royals first pay Restaurants. JR kept going back and forth Free and not. When free was busy, added cover and wasn't busy. Then added that the Johnny Rockets cover charge included a shake. Finally free to eat, shake at cost

4 hours ago, Wordell1 said:

Crazy that one cannot get a decent free burger on RC

Miss old days, 25-30yrs ago burgers on Royal were made by side of pool and on Labadee, both on Fire Grills. None were from frozen patties.

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

How Ironic would it be if the Italian restaurant served the best burger?

Our local Carrabba's Italian,serves a much better ribeye than our local Outback Steakhouse and they are owned by the same company!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, fred30 said:

Tried JR's once 10 years ago and found the food was not very good.  At the current price point the food should be exceptional.

Now they do make good shake's which are a must with the coupon!

RC was smart to put JR's next to the pool on the Quantum class though.  It seems to be very busy.

I never saw it busy on the Anthem.  The word "deserted" comes to mind. 

17 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I agree there is nothing special about JR’s.  I was surprised it was still on Indy after the Amp. 

This is one place that could be done away with.  They are busiest at the free breakfast time.  

Only free breakfast on oasis class that I remember.  Has Rccl changed it recently on freedom class?