My biggest issue with NCL..

troy510

I’ve been on 6 Carnival cruises and the first time I ventured out beyond CCL is when I went on The Escape two years ago. The ship was great, the food was really good, and the service was second to none, in my opinion. The only issue I had, and I think it’s a pretty big one, is that Norwegian is so concerned about making an extra dollar, that they sacrifice valuable sun deck real estate to make sure they add amenities and services that take away from one of the essentials of cruising - relaxing out on the top deck without an obstructed view of the ocean. I’ve never had an issue finding an open spot to relax without feeling so crowded while on A Carnival ship. They give you sufficient space and from what I’ve seen, so does Royal Caribbean.

All of the latest NCL ships are filled with so many activities and exclusive areas that charge, it becomes difficult finding areas where you can look at the ocean without being on top of the next person. I cancelled a trip on the Encore a couple of weeks ago because after viewing the top deck, I can’t believe that only 1/3 of the top deck seemed to be dedicated deck space and on top of that, everyone is squeezed in the middle. We ended up reserving The 15 night Panama Canal cruise next year on the Joy. It may be my last on NCL because, although I enjoy the cruise line, the fact that they skimp out on something so essential to me is problematic. Does anyone else have an issue with this?

• Like 3

There's really only one area that NCL charges a fee for and that's Vibe or Posh, depending on the ship. I for one am thankful for the offering. As for the other activities, none have ever prevented me from finding a place to see the ocean, if I choose to do so.

Edited by GrabMyWrist
  • Like 2

I think they are trying to find a compromise between the active cruisers who enjoy the activities and the more relaxed type cruisers who want to just mellow out.  I'm not normally one who enjoys the pool area anyway but I do like to relax and read and NCL gives us great space to do that on the new ships with the Waterfront area.

So, to answer your question..no, it doesn't really bother me.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, GrabMyWrist said:

There's really only one area that NCL charges a fee for and that's Vibe or Posh, depending on the ship. I for one am thankful for the offering. As for the other activities, none have ever prevented me from finding a place to see the ocean, if I choose to do so.

They might be referring to the HUGE laser tag area that Encore is getting as well as the go kart track. Two things you have to pay for that take up a lot of deck space. The laser tag is fun, but at $10 a pop not something I'm going to do a lot. And honestly after riding the carts on the Bliss for $15 not sure I have a burning desire to do it again on any ship for that price. Personally I much preferred the ropes course. I wasn't constantly on them, but at least it was free to do, and most of it was above the deck so they still put things like mini golf under it. 

Encore's current deck plans don't have a Spice and with the laser tag taking up the back - I'm not sure where they'd put it? No adult only area would be a big negative. 

I understand the OP's point, and I agree that the mail pool areas on the newer ships are very cramped.  However, at the end of the day maximizing revenue per square foot is every hospitality business's goal.  Gone are the days of paying your cruise fare and being able to step off the ship with a $0 onboard account.

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

They might be referring to the HUGE laser tag area that Encore is getting as well as the go kart track. Two things you have to pay for that take up a lot of deck space. The laser tag is fun, but at $10 a pop not something I'm going to do a lot. And honestly after riding the carts on the Bliss for $15 not sure I have a burning desire to do it again on any ship for that price. Personally I much preferred the ropes course. I wasn't constantly on them, but at least it was free to do, and most of it was above the deck so they still put things like mini golf under it. 

Encore's current deck plans don't have a Spice and with the laser tag taking up the back - I'm not sure where they'd put it? No adult only area would be a big negative. 

Understood, though on the smaller ships there's all kinds of free spaces that also take up that space. I've never used the basketball court, chess boards, shuffle board or ping pong tables, nor do I intend to. It doesn't stop me from cruising on a specific ship though. Personally, I've never had a problem finding a spot to see the ocean. There's plenty of them, everywhere. 

8 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

It sounds like they're going to put Spice on the upper deck/patio where the laser tag is located on the Bliss between the main pool and the Haven.

Edited by Beardface

The Waterfront appears to have better views of the ocean than the top deck, I think it's a good thing that there are additional attractions as it provides options for the customer and an extra revenue stream for the business.  Doesn't bother me if there is a fee to use the go-karts as it's not compulsory, you're free not to partake.  You could just as easily argue that a number of the fleet spend time in colder climates where lying on a sun lounger isn't an option, therefore why waste so much deck space rather than add additional attractions or amenities?

2 minutes ago, Beardface said:

It sounds like they're going to put Spice on the upper deck/patio where the laser tag is located between the main pool and the Haven.

*clicks through deck plans* Up on deck 19 or that big forward blank space on 16 (where garden cafe is on Bliss) that would be all covered by the Haven suites on 17? Or somewhere else I'm not seeing? I was thinking the blank space on 16 aft before you said anything, though again no sun there either. 

7 minutes ago, GrabMyWrist said:

Understood, though on the smaller ships there's all kinds of free spaces that also take up that space. I've never used the basketball court, chess boards, shuffle board or ping pong tables, nor do I intend to. It doesn't stop me from cruising on a specific ship though. Personally, I've never had a problem finding a spot to see the ocean. There's plenty of them, everywhere. 

Yeah, maybe it just seems so much more because it's 2 huge things vs a multitude of smaller things? I was on Bliss in Alaska, so my Florida blood didn't let me hang out up on deck much so they didn't bother me there. Though on Getaway & Escape I spent 90% of my upper deck time in Spice so it probably wouldn't bother me on Bliss either. I'm with you though - if I want to just relax and look at the sea I'm usually down on Waterfront. Or when I need a break from dousing myself in sunscreen lol

• Like 1

Just now, KonkyWonky said:

The Waterfront appears to have better views of the ocean than the top deck, I think it's a good thing that there are additional attractions as it provides options for the customer and an extra revenue stream for the business.  Doesn't bother me if there is a fee to use the go-karts as it's not compulsory, you're free not to partake.  You could just as easily argue that a number of the fleet spend time in colder climates where lying on a sun lounger isn't an option, therefore why waste so much deck space rather than add additional attractions or amenities?

The one thing that has never appealed to me personally is to sit on a lounger and just waste the day away.  I get it that a lot of people just want to sit there and take in the sun, get a tan, and enjoy life, but I've always been someone who wants to be doing something.  For me, personally, I love that the new era of ships across the industry are moving toward being more than just a floating pool and bar.  I love the activities provided and love that you can have a great time doing plenty of activities without having to step foot off the ship.  And I have seen similar opinions from many other people around my age (35), which seems to be why we're seeing this shift.  I save the relaxation for the beaches and day passes at the ports of call when I'm not on an activity driven excursion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

*clicks through deck plans* Up on deck 19 or that big forward blank space on 16 (where garden cafe is on Bliss) that would be all covered by the Haven suites on 17? Or somewhere else I'm not seeing? I was thinking the blank space on 16 aft before you said anything, though again no sun there either. 

I want to say Deck 20.  Its basically right above the video screen at the Bliss main pool.

You might be better off on one of the smaller ships like Sun or Sky.  We did carib cruises on them and the pool deck had plenty of loungers as well as the upper deck area and forward of the pool was all loungers, you could still hear the music from the pool band.

I’ve been looking over the Joy remodel and the center pool deck looks barren like they couldn’t figure out what to do with it and only two small pools at each end.

We aren’t sun people so will use the Waterfront deck for lounging.

Love the Waterfront, but found on a recent Breakaway cruise that people "reserve" comfortable shady spots for the whole day, others fall asleep and stay for hours. We found it hard to find a quiet shady spot on sea days.