CocoCay- Pig Swim

1 minute ago, Getting out there said:

I don't think that's Coco Cay. Maybe somewhere in the Bahamas.

There's several in the Bahamas, including one just off of Coco Cay. It's like a 10 minute speed boat ride from Coco Cay

We are also debating this excursion for our September Coco Cay cruise. General online reviews have been mixed to poor. Primarily complaints that the pigs come to you for the apple slices and then go back to the beach as soon as you run out.

4 hours ago, awestover89 said:

There's several in the Bahamas, including one just off of Coco Cay. It's like a 10 minute speed boat ride from Coco Cay

We are also debating this excursion for our September Coco Cay cruise. General online reviews have been mixed to poor. Primarily complaints that the pigs come to you for the apple slices and then go back to the beach as soon as you run out.

🤣 I don't blame them!! LOL

• Haha 1

You can actually book this excursion while at CoCo Cay just walk over to Chill Island there’s a stand opposite the kayak rental. The excursion can be booked there. Get there early. 

BTW CoCo Cay is awesome Lots of free things to do. Go to South Beach bring your GoPro or underwater camera and video the sting rays. You can walk out about 2 football fields and be in waste deep water.

Or spend $40.00 at Chill Island for an hour of Kayaking for 2. Fun!!

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

I do not understand why anyone would want to swim with pigs.

What is the appeal of this activity ?

If you google Exuma, you can see what is appealing, it is just fun and cute and the waters are gorgeous. From the previous answer it is not Exuma what they are selling but I believe that the feeling who books is the same ;)

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I do not understand why anyone would want to swim with pigs.

What is the appeal of this activity ?

It's a unique activity, especially for "city folk" who may never get to see a live pig in their life. It's an activity that has a bit of a "wow" factor, just because of how unique it is

11 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

It's a unique activity, especially for "city folk" who may never get to see a live pig in their life. It's an activity that has a bit of a "wow" factor, just because of how unique it is

Plus...for those of us who love bacon...

• Haha 2

Several of the Exuma swimming pigs have died and when they did autopsies they found lots of sand in their stomachs from eating the food thrown to them. Animal cruelty looking into these excursions. Pigs wallow in mud to stay cool so just imagine how miserable these creatures are on a hot beach. There have been reports that they are kept in pens and then paraded down to the beach and only go into the water because they are hungry and go in for the food and also they can get sunburn easily. The ocean and a hot beach are not the natural environment for a pig. I am saddened that Royal Caribbean is exploiting these animals.

• Thanks 1

The pig swim is because the Bahamas got famous for the Exuma pigs.  Which were not a tourist trap, instead they were on a remote island that private boat owners would find.  They would feed the pigs and share pictures.

So now, tourists want the pig experience.  So they literally put pigs on random islands as full blown tourist traps to take money from naive tourists who want a swimming with pig picture for Instagram, but don't really know they aren't seeing the real thing.

I would never waste money such a thing.  If you want to see the real pigs, they are in Abaco and Exuma, it's very difficult to visit them via cruise.

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Several of the Exuma swimming pigs have died and when they did autopsies they found lots of sand in their stomachs from eating the food thrown to them. Animal cruelty looking into these excursions. Pigs wallow in mud to stay cool so just imagine how miserable these creatures are on a hot beach. There have been reports that they are kept in pens and then paraded down to the beach and only go into the water because they are hungry and go in for the food and also they can get sunburn easily. The ocean and a hot beach are not the natural environment for a pig. I am saddened that Royal Caribbean is exploiting these animals.

Correct.  Though it's unlikely these pigs are eating sand.  Since they are basically farm animals kept in a pen then paraded out for clueless tourists.

3 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

A pig on the beach didn't seem logical. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

I thought it would be interesting, but this article pretty much sums it up as "not worthwhile". Apples on a skewer? And don't poke the pigs with the skewer. It sounds like they are starving and just food motivated, so probably an expensive waste of time. So we won't be booking it. 

Link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3759

5 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Thank you! 👍

Just as disgusting as the dolphin swim! 🤢

What a sick way to have "fun"! 🤒