Icy Strait Point

Giantfan13

We have been to Alaska twice already but this is our first time in this port. We are seniors and we were wondering what are the things to do in this port?. We have done Alaskan whale watches already, and we really don't want to 'break the bank' just trying to do things in this port. We have all day here, from 7AM till 6PM. If we just wanted to wander about the town is there enough to do to occupy a full day or is getting around a must?. Is there any 'must' do things here?. We will be having quieter days in Juneau and Ketchikan so we wouldn't mind a tour but not with the cruise line. Are there 'vendors' around when you disembark the ship looking for people to do tours? And any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Len

Icy Strait Point has one of the highest populations of bears in the world.  Last summer we did a Bear Search with Hoonah Travel Adventures and saw 2 sows with 1/2 grown cubs.  A few years before that we did another bear search with another company and saw bears.  I don't think it is super expensive, and is done via a van no flying needed to do it.  now for my disclaimer bears are wild animals and while I have seen bears both times I went no sighting is ever guaranteed.  Here are a couple of photos from last summer.

P1030070.JPG

P1030113.JPG

P1030120.JPG

We loved Icy Strait Point - 

Great floating dock easy to get on and off the ship.

Free shuttle into the restaurant and museum, but a very easy walk if able.

Interesting museum about the village and canning industry.  

Nice shops to visit.

We did an off road drive & Zip line that was a blast.

Don't miss the little donut shop in the village and a walk along the shoreline.

This is a nice alternative to the other ports and a look at Alaska without a lot of tourism.

We did a cooking demonstation class at Icy Point a couple years ago and enjoyed it.  I just copied and am pasting from their web site:

In Alaska's Wildest Kitchen

Alaska's Wildest Kitchen is a hands-on tasting session hosted by a colorful Alaska fisherwoman and master wilderness chef. Experience wild, natural, and sustainable Alaska seafood as only Alaskans do while learning what sets Alaska seafood apart, including local fishing, preserving, and cooking techniques. Later, you’ll watch an expert filleting demonstration and even get a chance to grill your own sample catch-of-the-day over our alder-wood grill. 

All seafood is harvested by local fishermen in nearby waters so the freshness can’t be beat! The tasting menu may include fresh and canned salmon dishes, grilled halibut, Dungeness crab, wild berries, seasonal herbs, and vegetables. One alcoholic beverage and printed recipe cards are included in the cost of the tour. Wine and Alaskan Brewing Company beer are available for purchase.

• Duration:

Approximately 1.5 hours

• Minimum age:

8 years old

• Thanks 1

There is really great shopping in the old cannery buildings near the dock.  I am an Alaskan and I was impressed with the quality of items available.  Not as touristy as you might think.  I was there 3 years ago so hopefully it hasn't changed much.  If weather is pleasant, eat fish & chips outside on the deck overlooking the water.....very nice.

Thank you all so much for the help with this port. One more thing, as I asked before, if we wanted to book something, a tour or whatever, when we disembarked the ship, are there 'vendors' looking for people to tour with them around the port area?

Cheers

Len

5 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

We did a cooking demonstation class at Icy Point a couple years ago and enjoyed it.  I just copied and am pasting from their web site:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did you enjoy that cooking demo?  We considered it for our last trip to ISP but instead walked into Hoonah.  Going next year, not looking to walk to Hoonah again, probably 😉

3 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did you enjoy that cooking demo?  We considered it for our last trip to ISP but instead walked into Hoonah.  Going next year, not looking to walk to Hoonah again, probably 😉

I thought it was pretty cool.  The lady who taught the class lived there but wasn't a native - she was nice and funny.  Getting to cook your pieces of halibut and salmon outside is the highlight.  What was the best part is the whole experience was super laid back and relaxed.  The actual classroom was impressive - built from lumber and beams from a local sawmill.  I definitely learned some things about grilling fish that I didn't know.  We had a great time.  I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

26981031414_f717438e89_b.jpg

27518205271_23b310f4b7_b.jpg

27518065241_316622c03d_b.jpg

26981961743_76eb74b634_b.jpg

27518146931_88f02e97db_b.jpg

27556684236_dae1c845ba_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2019 at 12:51 PM, Giantfan13 said:

Thank you all so much for the help with this port. One more thing, as I asked before, if we wanted to book something, a tour or whatever, when we disembarked the ship, are there 'vendors' looking for people to tour with them around the port area?

Cheers

Len

At the end of the walkway coming off the pier you are led into a large building where there is an area to the right where you can make last minute bookings for tours offered by the folks that run ISP.

ISP is operated by a native corporation and they have a charter that limits visits to one ship at a time.  They also ban the standard Diamond International stores and the like.  That's one of the things I love about ISP but if you are the kind of cruisers that must shop those stores at every port you won't find them in ISP or the nearby town of Hoonah.

There is a short adventure walk right behind the main adventure center building.  Duck Point Bar will have fires to sit by and a nice patio overlooking the water with an outdoor gas fire that makes for a nice spot to try an Alaskan beer or enjoy some local seafood.

The town is walkable if you are into long walks.  It's not unusual to see whales along that walk.   Sometimes deer venture in to town as well.  It's a small town so don't expect major stores and shopping.  They have one grocery store whose motto is "If we don't have it, you don't need it".

I was just there last week for my 3rd visit and it was great as always.

Here is a handout that Royal provided with a map of the port area and the old cannery area.

ISP.PDF

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 11:51 AM, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

There is a shuttle into Hoonah for about $2 or $3.

I had lunch here after a whale watch and there is also a pub that was pretty busy. Indoor and outdoor seating, about 20 minute wait for a sandwich, plenty of seating when I was there

20190516_142800.thumb.jpg.542a564771a35fbd19a60274c66ed29c.jpg

Celebrity offers an excursion in ISP that is Wildlife in Spasski River Valley and Bear Search. Any thoughts on this? Our arrival time is late, 3:30. we will be there either June 18th or 20th, so should not get dark until rather late. It is a relatively inexpensive excursion, $119 per person. Any thoughts?