Anchorage

Giantfan13

Sorry if I have to ask another question, this time about Anchorage. We are flying into Anchorage and need a hotel there for the night. Looking at several of the hotel sites, most of the hotels seem to be about 2-3 miles from what they call 'city center'. Should we try and be right in 'city center'? We don't plan on having a car and we were looking at a hotel about 2.3 miles from city center that has an airport shuttle. So, I guess my main question is again, do we want to be right in 'city center' and if not, is there transportation to get us there if that's where we want to be?

Would it be more beneficial to rent a car in Anchorage and try and stay some where out of the city where the rates are much cheaper? We will have 3 nights before our cruise and we thought of spending one night in Anchorage and maybe 2 in Seward. Would it be better to spend 2 nights in Anchorage and one in Seward?

Again, thanks for any help and suggestions. Believe me they are much appreciated.

Cheers

Len

Without knowing your specific interests in either Anchorage or Seward I find it hard to give a recommendation.  But I find more of interest in Seward than downtown Anchorage.  We would do one night in Anchorage and two in Seward.  But that is me.

And how do you plan to move from Anchorage to Seward may answer your own questions.  Options are either the highway or the Alaska Railroad.  So if you decide on the Alaska Railroad then staying near the ARR station would make sense.  If you use one of the private motor coach transfers a number of them pick up from hotels.  Or would you consider a one-way car rental and drive yourself to Seward, which would give options for stoping at places of interest to you.  Once in Seward you really don't need a car, as the community has a shuttle during the summer.