Boats Collide in Budapest - 7 Dead

G.M.T.

Just read the news on German television text pages. So tragic. These incidents are so rare. An inquest will obviously happen. As the report suggests this is going a bit deeper emotionally with South Koreans due to a terrible ferry accident in their country some years ago.

It says that river traffic is halted downstream from Budapest.

notamermaid

We’re here right now in Budapest, and it appears it was the Viking Sigyn that hit the tour boat. There are still 21 missing, and the river has been running so fast it’s hard to say where they were swept to.  It’s just so tragic.

• Like 1

What a tragic accident - had not heard any news until reading this thread. Are the Viking ship's passengers hurt/missing as well or is it just the Hableany passengers?  

Edited by dogs4fun

Nobody hurt on the Viking.  We saw the ship rafted with three others yesterday (there were six Viking ships here total) so it must have been sailing out last night.  The weather was terrible.  

2 hours ago, amyr said:

Nobody hurt on the Viking.  We saw the ship rafted with three others yesterday (there were six Viking ships here total) so it must have been sailing out last night.  The weather was terrible.  

2 hours ago, acwmom said:

So tragic.....here's another link I found, with video footage.....the currents look terrible.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/river-cruise-accident_swiss-boat-involved-in-fatal-budapest-boat-crash/44999268

Thank you for your responses. Truly sad.

My brother and sister-in-law (plus her mom, two brothers and their spouses) boarded a Uniworld ship (SS. Beatrice) yesterday afternoon for a cruise leaving today to Bucharest.  After seeing this thread I sent them a note this morning and my sister-in-law responded with

"We knew there were people in the water.  We saw lots and lots of emergency boats and vehicles on the shore.  For our evening cruise (to see the lights of the city - she didn't say if that started before or after the accident), we had to go real slowly.  We didn't realize what really happened until this morning.  What a tragedy!  Not much going on here today, so we assume most of the search is down stream.  The water is high and strong.  We are heading that way now (this was sent around 6 pm Budapest time).  Croatia tomorrow."

First off, thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.We are supposed to be on Sigyn next month. I wonder if she will be able to sail? From the small amount I read, it does sound like the Sigyn was at fault, but I will hold judgment until after the inquiry.

Unfortunately, the Viking Sigyn is a brand-new ship. I am sure it will be noted in the enquiry as the police see fit.

In a German report by "Die Welt" it has been suggested that concern had been voiced inside the tourism industry that with the river at Budapest getting more crowded collisions like this would get more likely, especially during such evening tours. The Budapest authorities already had strict rules in place, for example restrictions as to river cruise ships turning, but most likely further reactions will follow.

With authorities being so stringent it makes the shock even greater and it is big news here in Germany.

It is so sad.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Just read a report as to how the incident could have happened. A normal pointed bow ship would have crashed into the side and dented the excurson boat maybe more. In this incident the cruise ship mounted the excursion boat (and like an ice breaker does mounts the ice and with its weight breaks and pushes the ice down and aside) have a look at the bow of the cruise ship.

A criminal investigation has been started.

Sadly there is very little hope of finding the missing tourists alive, the Danube is 15° C.

I've been researching on CC in preparation for our first river cruise with Viking this September when I saw the notice for the collision between the Viking Sigyn and the tourist boat carrying the South Korean tourists in Budapest. Having a boat start to sink within seconds is mind numbing.

My prayers are certainly with all the people affected by this tragedy. Since it's our first cruise I've been monitoring the Danube water levels on that thread, thinking that nothing worse than water levels might cause some disruption to our cruise.  Never did I think that there would be the possibility of such a horrible accident involving the loss of so many lives on the Danube.  Like Venice is trying to do to protect their beautiful city from too many tourists, is the Danube/Budapest going to have to restrict the river boat numbers and river traffic. Safe travels to all. Deborah

I saw this last night, but couldn't access the site to post a link.  Unfortunately, with the night sight seeing being such a popular attraction, it's something that was bound to happen....just like a road with increased traffic.  I feel for those who were on the boat that sunk, what must have been a special time turned so tragic, and with the memories of the ferry sinking a while ago fresh in their minds, it must have been horrifying.  I hope the families that have to come to claim their loved ones are able to do so and have assistance from officials for ease of doing so.  My heart goes out to them.

For those who are on the rivers, or about to begin your journeys, I wish you safe travels.  

Edited by Daisi

43 minutes ago, Cairn Mom said:

Viking has been conspicuously silent. I’m sure this week’s Danube Waltz Cruise has been cancelled. I wonder what will happen to the June trips on the Sigyn ? Enquiring minds...

This is what is posted on the VRC website:

"The Viking river ship Sigyn was involved in a collision with another vessel – a Hungarian tourist ship – on the Danube River in Budapest yesterday evening (29th May). Sadly, there have been reports of fatalities and we offer our heartfelt condolences to those affected by this tragic accident. There were no injuries to Viking crew or Viking guests. The vessel has been cleared by the local authorities to sail on May 31 and the itinerary will finish as originally scheduled. We have been and continue to cooperate fully with the authorities while they undertake their investigations. There are no additional itinerary alterations anticipated at this time."

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

This is what is posted on the VRC website:

"The Viking river ship Sigyn was involved in a collision with another vessel – a Hungarian tourist ship – on the Danube River in Budapest yesterday evening (29th May). Sadly, there have been reports of fatalities and we offer our heartfelt condolences to those affected by this tragic accident. There were no injuries to Viking crew or Viking guests. The vessel has been cleared by the local authorities to sail on May 31 and the itinerary will finish as originally scheduled. We have been and continue to cooperate fully with the authorities while they undertake their investigations. There are no additional itinerary alterations anticipated at this time."

This was not in My Viking Journey. Thx for posting