Mangalore Port

Hi guys, we are doing the Eastern Horizons 2 later this year and will be in Mangalore on Wednesday 27 November 2019.  We are looking for recommendations for either a beach with some facilities (ie cafe/bar etc) or a hotel that does a day pass near by?  Has anyone visited this port?  Any advice would be much appreciated. Lx

Sorry, cant help with hotels. Most people seemed to do a temples tour, but we hired a tuk tuk to take us round the town for a couple of hours calling at a (very) local market.  Most people agreed the port had very little to offer, but we enjoyed seeing local life. I even bought an unusual broom from the market( but then forgot it when we got off the tuk tuk) We could just imagine the driver going home and saying to his wife "I've bought you a present, darling"😀

• 1 month later...

Hi @L74,

As a former resident of Mangalore, I can answer few of your questions.

- Since the port is in an industrial area, there are not many stuff in/around the port, unless you take Local Bus to the city (that will be a fun experience :P ), Auto Riskshaw "Tuk Tuk", or Ola / Uber taxis. 

- You can check Summer Sand Resort, Ullal (apprx. 18 km away from the port) which is nice and has bar / cafe etc

Mangalore is mostly known for its Temples, food and beaches, as @suekay mentioned, going to a temple tour and/or local market will be my recommendation. On other recommendation comes from ailmarsh 

"The ‘middle port’ Mangalore, we took the shuttle into town & visited a modern Indian style shopping mall .......complete with KFC (which we didn’t try!) "

There are 2 big malls / shopping centers called,

- Forum Mall

- City Center Mall, both of which has good selection of food (McDonalds, KFC, and of course local food franchises)

Hope You have a great visit :)