Poor Customer Service

denali1

• If you are waiting for a reply regarding a Private Sale, by all means, pick up the phone and call them.  These are usually pretty good sales and I am betting that any agent can't help you with the information you are seeking.  

First of, thanks to all of you who responded. Great feedback.

There are definitely some HAL apologists, who think any amount of time one waits on HAL is fine. I get that. I don’t agree, but I do understand loyalty. 

Taxmantoo makes an import point on eight days but 2 of them were weekends. I get that, and it would be relevant if HAL wasn’t open 7 days a week. I do agree about relaxing. And I am relaxed. My posting this topic was just a form of venting. And pointing out the hypocrisy of them saying to fill out a written form. E mail it in. We will get back to you. 

Cshapard points out while teaching in NC, it was impossible to reach school district personnel. How sad that cshapard had to visit their office to get answers. And maybe my vow to take my money elsewhere is over the top. But....my principles say otherwise. 

Boatdrill says if my timeframe (that HAL doesn’t know about), is more important, then I am right to move on. I agree. And...it shouldn’t make any difference if HAL knew my timetable. They clearly don’t care, timetable or not. They should not have a form, if they aren’t going to respond to it. (Btw, this is day 9 and still no response). 

Tater, rightfully points out to just call them about the Private Sale. Tater has a good point. However, I think I will stand by my thoughts when I started this post. Which was:

“I will probably take my business for an upcoming cruise elsewhere. While my $8-$10 K is a small pebble in the water to them, I have a problem with poor customer service. Too often nowadays, on any business, customer service ends when they get your money. It is sad.”

Thanks to everyone for your feedback!

Edited by denali1

7 minutes ago, denali1 said:

First of, thanks to all of you who responded. Great feedback.

There are definitely some HAL apologists, who think any amount of time one waits on HAL is fine. I get that. I don’t agree, but I do understand loyalty. 

Taxmantoo makes an import point on eight days but 2 of them were weekends. I get that, and it would be relevant if HAL wasn’t open 7 days a week. I do agree about relaxing. And I am relaxed. My posting this topic was just a form of venting. And pointing out the hypocrisy of them saying to fill out a written form. E mail it in. We will get back to you. 

Cshapard points out while teaching in NC, it was impossible to reach school district personnel. How sad that cshapard had to visit their office to get answers. And maybe my vow to take my money elsewhere is over the top. But....my principles say otherwise. 

Boatdrill says if my timeframe (that HAL doesn’t know about), is more important, then I am right to move on. I agree. And...it shouldn’t make any difference if HAL knew my timetable. They clearly don’t care, timetable or not. They should not have a form, if they aren’t going to respond to it. (Btw, this is day 9 and still no response). 

Tater, rightfully points out to just call them about the Private Sale. Tater has a good point. However, I think I will stand by my thoughts when I started this post. Which was:

“I will probably take my business for an upcoming cruise elsewhere. While my $8-$10 K is a small pebble in the water to them, I have a problem with poor customer service. Too often nowadays, on any business, customer service ends when they get your money. It is sad.”

Thank you, denal1 for your reasonable and thoughtful response.  I very much admire consumers, like you, who vote with their wallets.  It's a reasonable and effective way of responding to poor customer service.

• Thanks 1

OP, the debate here over acceptable wait time came to mind when I ran across this thread on the Princess board:

Jumping to another cruise line may not get you the type of immediate service that you are seeking.

Edited by Fouremco

3 hours ago, GlennG said:

Thank you, denal1 for your reasonable and thoughtful response.  I very much admire consumers, like you, who vote with their wallets.  It's a reasonable and effective way of responding to poor customer service.

Consumers voting with their wallets only works if the business is aware that they lost the client.

Otherwise, not much is accomplished. Right now, HAL has no idea that denali1 is upset over their lack of response,  and will not return,  because they haven't been told. 

Edited by Boatdrill

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:
19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

OP, the debate here over acceptable wait time came to mind when I ran across this thread on the Princess board:

Jumping to another cruise line may not get you the type of immediate service that you are seeking.

Thanks for this info Fouremco. It helps make my point about businesses in general. Once they have your money......

Funny, Celebrity and Princess have actually responded to me quickly over the years. HAL, not so much. 

12 minutes ago, denali1 said:

Thanks for this info Fouremco. It helps make my point about businesses in general. Once they have your money......

Funny, Celebrity and Princess have actually responded to me quickly over the years. HAL, not so much. 

I'm relatively new here but somehow my Princess post was linked here and I received a notification.

My experience... HAL had my money and responded within 24 hours.  Princess did not have my money and did not.  Since the cruise is leaving soon, and I will be on a Holland ship immediately prior, I wanted to confirm with Princess that everything was set before I booked and before I leave on either cruise.  

I tried to confirm in writing with Princess before booking and when that proved impossible, I documented the calls via email and went ahead and booked.  We were just on a Holland Cruise in March on the Koningsdam and had such a wonderful experience that we stepped off and booked another HAL cruise to Alaska (we had had no intention of cruising HAL again this year).  HAL's accessibility office has been delightful.  

Just one cruiser's experience, but when a company is doing something right, they should be recognized.  Kudos Holland America and thank you again!  Still awaiting confirmation from Princess.

As an aside, I think there is a difference in issues and expected response-wait-times.  I think it's reasonable to expect a delayed response when addressing a book-keeping issue, while issues of health, safety and security should garner an immediate response.

Smooth sailing!

Edited by SunNFunCruzer

4 hours ago, denali1 said:

I think I will stand by my thoughts when I started this post. Which was:

I think you should as well. We like Celebrity and Princess if you want to have fun on sea days and at a very fair price.

FWIW, I had to call HAL about something yesterday.  I punched in the number, it rang, I was put on hold for about 20 seconds. A person answered. I explained my problem. She accessed my account. 

She then solved my problem. I thanked her and we said goodbye.

Total time on the phone: less than 2 minutes.

She was not the most enthusiastic-sounding person I've ever dealt with, but she certainly was efficient and that's all I care about.

19 minutes ago, cowmilker said:

FWIW, I had to call HAL about something yesterday.  I punched in the number, it rang, I was put on hold for about 20 seconds. A person answered. I explained my problem. She accessed my account. 

She then solved my problem. I thanked her and we said goodbye.

Total time on the phone: less than 2 minutes.

She was not the most enthusiastic-sounding person I've ever dealt with, but she certainly was efficient and that's all I care about.

"Not the most enthusiastic-sounding person":  yes, this is what I just experienced with HAL Ship Services. There used to be more personable reps, but the bottom line, I got the info I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 9:36 AM, denali1 said:

A full week ago, I sent HAL Customer Service,  two emails, on their website form. They have failed to respond. While I could give in and call, that is not the point. Surely, it’s not the customer service they want. One e mail was about an error on the loyalty program, and the website said to send them the form. The other e mail concerned a letter I received offering a “Private Sale”, which wouldn’t work on their website, despite their clear instructions. Again, they suggested the form. 

As a result, I will probably take my business for an upcoming cruise elsewhere. While my $8-$10 K is a small pebble in the water to them, I have a problem with poor customer service. Too often nowadays, on any business, customer service ends when they get your money. It is sad. 

Have you had occassion  to compliment  HAL service in  the past?    

image.png.8d6b7d5276500c50e867a25be1dfbf06.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

53 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Have you had occassion  to compliment  HAL service in  the past?    

image.png.8d6b7d5276500c50e867a25be1dfbf06.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

No, I haven’t had good enough service to compliment HAL in the past. 

Btw, after two weeks I heard from them. Finally. They insisted the website worked, etc. Untrue and a bunch of nonsense. 

I booked a cruise for my wife and me on Azamara. Goodbye HAL. 

• Like 1