Flight cancelled and missed cruise

Hello, My flight was cancelled due to weather, and to make a very long story short, I missed my cruise.

I need to file a claim with my traveler's insurance company. How do I prove to them that the flight was cancelled due to weather? The cancellation notice from the airlines only says that my flight was cancelled. I was told once inside the airport that the reason was due to weather in the layover city.

8 hours ago, cruizin4livin said:

Hello, My flight was cancelled due to weather, and to make a very long story short, I missed my cruise.

I need to file a claim with my traveler's insurance company. How do I prove to them that the flight was cancelled due to weather? The cancellation notice from the airlines only says that my flight was cancelled. I was told once inside the airport that the reason was due to weather in the layover city.

Tricky situation you are in.

Most travel policies require you to attempt to catch up to the ship. As long as you could do this before 50% of your cruise is over. The burden of proof will be on you the traveler. Not having a passport to catch up to the ship is not a covered reason.

Just saying my flight was cancelled, I’m going to miss the ship, I’m going home may not be a covered reason.

However, I’m not an insurance claims expert. Maybe someone else can give you good news.

Still working on it. Not sure how Klfrodo assumed I did not make every effort to catch the ship?😮 Didn't want to go into all the details here.

At any rate, I learned that I can submit a news article regarding the weather and airport closings. Thankfully, I found a couple of articles that I hope will suffice.

One thing to note. My traveler's insurance company will cover weather-related flight cancellations. It will not cover other types of flight cancellations, such as mechanical issues.

Thanks all!

On 5/31/2019 at 12:55 AM, SempreMare said:

Please let us know how it turns out.

At least for Delta and American Airlines, there is a form on their web site that a passenger can submit to request the reason for a flight cancellation. I completed the form and got a response within 48 business hours.

The same thing happened to me last year. My local airport was closed for 3 days due to the weather. Luckily for me I was able to catch up with the ship.

My difficulty was that I was separated from travelling companions who did make the cruise. I had to prove I was by myself and they were on the cruise.

It took about 4 months to get the money