Spirit of Discovery

Glenndale

My TA hadn’t told me any of this but now I know what to ask for I was able to question them. 

Yes, all true.  It all has to be done through the TA, even booking the excursions. They have promised to send on the excursion booklet but say it hasn’t arrived yet. Only 8 weeks left to go so hope it arrives soon. 

OOPS!   Just read that she collided with bollards when leaving Emden late on 24th, with some superficial damage, scratches and a slight dent.

She appears at present, according to Cruisemapper, to be docked in Ijmuiden.

No doubt all will be sorted before Camilla gets near her.

1 hour ago, sweep said:

My TA hadn’t told me any of this but now I know what to ask for I was able to question them. 

Yes, all true.  It all has to be done through the TA, even booking the excursions. They have promised to send on the excursion booklet but say it hasn’t arrived yet. Only 8 weeks left to go so hope it arrives soon. 

Glad to know it's helped 😉

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

OOPS!   Just read that she collided with bollards when leaving Emden late on 24th, with some superficial damage, scratches and a slight dent.

She appears at present, according to Cruisemapper, to be docked in Ijmuiden.

No doubt all will be sorted before Camilla gets near her.

What a pity - she's moored in Ijmuiden at the moment, maybe they are knocking out the dent. 

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2019/26357/cruise-ship-collision-after-delivery-ceremony-emde/

Really looking forward to reading reviews of her!  When we get this happening we will have joined the 'big boys' of Cruise Critic.

So far we have not booked on her;  have one more on Sapphire first, and somehow do not like to book another until we have done the previous one.  (Guess that comes from being fairly ancient). 

It will be very interesting to see how people compare her with Cunard, P and O and the like, and even Seabourn.  She bears quite a close resemblance to the Seabourn ships, which we have loved,  but they do have that extra touch of luxury in the drinks including almost anything you could wish for, including the premium brands of gin, single malts etc.

Here are a few snaps from this afternoon, mostly taken from the new marina. She's moored on the east side of the Prince of Wales Pier as Seabourn Quest and Boudicca are occupying terminals one and two respectively. I'll get some different angles in a week when I'm on a visit to Viking Sun.

P1060560.thumb.jpg.d9b9fe396181e7352680c1449e09ffce.jpgP1060561.thumb.jpg.a776751a5d709f8582f9ccb6e8d673e8.jpgP1060568.thumb.jpg.1a3b49106207a3309e48f97595dd3c4e.jpgP1060576.thumb.jpg.96e3fd24133e5ba13a99a0be6a357b5d.jpgP1060580.thumb.jpg.46312189b09bf7090b6b9651b69c6317.jpgP1060581.thumb.jpg.703315f1d92101354d1267c54b351d4c.jpgP1060587.thumb.jpg.ee350b9d5e1c520f77a12dd232173790.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve ‘Liked’ the posts on another site by a cruise journalist who is currently onboard. He had posted quite a few photos of the inside of the ship. Not sure if I’m allowed by CC  to mention the site, so will refrain but there many millions of people who use it. 

I didn't realise Saga would treat those who booked through a travel agent differently.

We were booking another cruise line and mentioned to the agent about Saga, they said we could book through them as Saga had recently started using cruise agents. They didn't mention we wouldn't have access to certain aspects of organising the book of trips and services prior to sailing.

This is our first cruise with Saga so are grateful to have our own CC group to ask questions. I'm sure there will be many.

I would not use an Agent when booking a Saga cruise unless, of course, you were getting a better financial deal, which does happen with other lines.  I believe Saga will want you to deal with everything through the Agent, but of course you should get all the  information, albeit a few days later after it has been sent to the Agent.  Excursion booklets are rather late with Saga, normally 6 to 8 weeks before departure, but you should get yours automatically through the Agent, I would think.  If not, chase them up.

Saga have not used Agents much in the past, but I have noticed that this is happening more and more.  To my mind, because the staff at Saga on the telephone are so helpful I prefer to deal directly with them.  With some lines you have problems getting anywhere with the line's own offices.  I would always look up the online availability and cost on the Saga ship's calendar before booking through  an Agent, and if the cost was the same definitely book direct.

We did get a small reduction by booking through an agent. 

What is currently troubling/annoying me is that we have received at least 10 copies of Saga cruises brochures in the last few weeks. Same brochures, again and again. It’s no surprise that next year’s prices are higher, paying for all those glossies being sent to the same people over and over again.......and straight onto the recycling pile. 

Spoke to Saga yesterday, despite being booked through an agent, to ask when we were likely to get shore excursion information since we have received a letter some weeks ago saying that one of the published excursions had changed.   i was told the booklet will "doormat" (their word) in the next one to two weeks.

Thanks for directing us to this,  Hermioneb.   Nearly everything sounds great, and I feel sure that service problems will be sorted out pretty quickly;  you must be the first largish group of passengers on board, and the staff should soon get used to prompt and efficient service, ditto the galley.  Many of the best staff we have met on the old ships have told us that they are on Discovery.

Have a great time, and report back here, please.😊

Yes, thanks for the link. 

I had wondered about how we would be able to book the Specialty restaurants. That wasn’t good news. I just hope we arrive fairly early onboard, something over which we’ll have no control of course, as it will depend on the included transport. 

Corinne