What i packed or didn't! 7 day Med Fly cruise May 19

I said I would report on my recent cruise which DH and I took around the Med/Adriatic. You can find the Cruise review here:https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forum/388-marella-cruises-formerly-thomson/

As it was a Fly-Cruise UK- Naples we had 2 x20kg (50lb) Hold luggage in a 30” and a 24” suitcase along with 2 x 10kg(25lb) in a medium rucksack and a beach bag. I also carried a Travelon shoulder bag. We cross-packed and luggage was not bonded outbound but was bonded on the way home. It’s easier to go through what I wore rather than what I packed as the weather was unseasonal for the Med in late May and some last minute additions to my wardrobe before departure proved useful!

Departure 5am from home for 9am flight (15th) Blue Linen Trousers(Pants), White ¾ sleeve Tee, Pale pink cotton sweater, navy blue pashmina and Sketchers

We were delayed boarding so it was a quick change after muster from our carry-on packing into a navy vest and multi-coloured jacket and mules to go to dinner.

16thMessina Sicily – Rain and some…..! Trip to Taormina Blue Linen Trousers, red/white Breton top, Sketchers, scarf and raincoat Note to self Sketchers are NOT waterproof! Back on board hot shower to warm up and change into Adidas pants, tee and fleece and mules. Used hairdryer to start drying of linen trousers and Sketchers!

Evening – Dress To Impress (Marellas Formal which is really smart casual) Long violet colour gown with embellishment to waist, silk pashmina in grey, Black/spangle T-bar sandals, small silver evening bag. DH wore black jeans, long sleeved shirt and brogues. (Pic below)20190523_170903.thumb.jpg.143aa18a241ae765e40fd90b48bc5ffd.jpg

17th Dubrovnik Croatia – Sunshine AM on board ship cotton black/lilac skirt and lilac vest, mules (changed to sketchers to sightsee) Evening Black trousers, gold/sparkle vest, black pashmina, small gold evening bag, Gold cloth sandals.

18th Ancona, Italy – Rain and not warm! Blue Linen trousers, tee & fleece, Sketchers for morning walking tour, note Sketchers still NOT waterproof!! Changed in afternoon to Adidas pants and mules. Hairdryer to trousers and Sketchers yet again!

Evening- Black trousers, 3 diff stripe pink lace top, blk T-bar sandals, blk pashmina and small blk evening bag

19th Venice, Italy – Rain Rain Rain . Boat trip to the islands Murano and Burano. (See pic below) Blue linen trousers (yes again!), tee & fleece, scarf & raincoat, Sketchers (still not waterproof ha ha) Hairdryer to rescue once again. Evening White jeans, Turqoise/white top. Turqoise sandals, Turqoise Pashmina, sm silver evening bag.

P1000720.thumb.JPG.df05f2466003d59bb1e47510644ffec7.JPG

20th Split, Croatia – Sunny but showery AM hot later Blue linen trousers, sketchers, tee & raincoat to start later shorts, vest & mules Evening LBD, blk T-bar sandals, sm blk evening bag and blk pashmina augmented by bling jewelle    

21st Sea Day, Hot sunny and windy Shorts, black vest & mules on pool deck Evening Turqoise Sundress, black pashmina, blk evening bag, blk t-bar sandals

22nd Travel home day Blue linen trousers, red & white striped Breton top, Sketchers and scarf

Mistakes –

·         Only taking one pair of day trousers smart enough to sight see in, was expecting hotter weather than we got so took capri’s and shorts that I never wore.

·         Not taking a waterproof sightseeing shoe, Sketchers are great and comfy in the dry but no good in the wet.

·         Same for DH who wore the same jeans and sweater nearly all week and only 1 pair of the 4 pairs of shorts he had brought!

Best Advice recived prior

·         Packing cubes – so useful, used one each in our carry on so we had something to change into when we boarded ship and to keep underwear and t-shirts under control.

·         Towel clips – held onto our sun-bed towels, clipped wet clothes to the line and held my bath towel in place after showering!

·         Toilet freshener – we used those little tree one you get for the car, hung on the cupboard door next to the toilet

Things wish I had took

·         A medium hand towel, the bath towels were huge but the hand towels were too small for me to wrap my hair in after showering (or maybe I just have a big head??)

·         Another pair of day trousers see above.

·         Umbrella

·         Indigestion tablets, hairbrush and nail scissors all of which I forgot to pack and had to purchase in a chemist in Sicily at the princely sum of 28 euros!! Lesson learn’t!

I also took plenty of costume jewellery bling to brighten up evening outfits and my pashminas were also a godsend in the air con.

When travelling in the ‘shoulder’ months I think its safe to say I have learned you need to be prepared for all weathers, aiming to make our next cruise to the Caribbean later in the year so hopefully that new swimsuit I never got to use will come into its own!

Hope this has been some use to you. Happy Cruising.

One thing I've traveled with forever - a "turban" (microfiber) towel for my hair! It's small and packs easily, and I use one at home every day too. Towels in hotels or on cruises are never the right size for hair (for me ;-)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Thanks for posting your wardrobe and itinerary.

We have a May cruise booked for 2020 leaving from Venice.  I will definitely take waterproof shoes.  Many thanks for the advice.

Hi, I am sailing out of Venice in October:classic_biggrin:....I was there last summer too. Never needed waterproof

shoes.

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I am sailing out of Venice in October:classic_biggrin:....I was there last summer too. Never needed waterproof

shoes.

Now, you've jinxed yourself!   Better get those waterproof shoes now!!!    I have yet to be on a trip in Europe where it did not rain or even snow at least some of the time.   Rain-Resistant shoes are standard for me - I also check the weather forecasts...

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Now, you've jinxed yourself!   Better get those waterproof shoes now!!!    I have yet to be on a trip in Europe where it did not rain or even snow at least some of the time.   Rain-Resistant shoes are standard for me - I also check the weather forecasts...

Hi, I have been to Europe 4 times since 2012 all on cruises. I do remember it raining in Barcelona but that is all that comes to mind.  And that was only for part of the day. I had walking shoes on and if memory serves, I did fine.   Rain resistant shoes are not standard for me. And I always check the weather too.  Guess I got lucky.

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

shoes.

October (and November) tend to be somewhat rainier months overall in Venice though. And more likelihood of the acqua alta....

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

October (and November) tend to be somewhat rainier months overall in Venice though. And more likelihood of the acqua alta....

We are sailing from Southampton to Rome at the end of October / early November so am anticipating rain at times. The question for me is will it be warm enough to wear capris once we are in the med. I'm thinking that I should pack one pair. 

15 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

We are sailing from Southampton to Rome at the end of October / early November so am anticipating rain at times. The question for me is will it be warm enough to wear capris once we are in the med. I'm thinking that I should pack one pair. 

You might get an odd warm day but in general I would go for trousers/pants. We were in Rome in November for my birthday and it was perishing. Wad glad of my hat scarf and thick coat. Hth

• Like 1

I think your personal thermostat matters as well. I never wear socks unless it's below freezing AND I anticipate being outside more than 20 minutes (which means, basically, all winter for work - no socks/bare legs with dresses). If the weather is in the 60s, I'd have no problem at all wearing a cropped pant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

I think your personal thermostat matters as well. I never wear socks unless it's below freezing AND I anticipate being outside more than 20 minutes (which means, basically, all winter for work - no socks/bare legs with dresses). If the weather is in the 60s, I'd have no problem at all wearing a cropped pant.

Lots of factors at work that's for sure!

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Just a suggestion...I spray my Sketchers with waterproof spray..just in case.

Fortunately we haven't had to test the spray out yet though.

I second this suggestion. Did this for our Norwegian Fjords Cruise in May.  It rained in two of the ports and my shoes were fine.  No wet feet even though we did a lot of walking, especially in Oslo, where it rained the entire time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your informative post.  I am sure anyone headed for the med in May next year will appreciate your suggestions.   We have just returned from a month in the med.  We did different ports from you but it was also very unseasonable ( rainy and cool) in the ports we visited.   Both last  year and this year it was very rainy in Rome in mid-May.  In 2015 we roasted because it was so hot. We are fortunate that both our hotels and ship provide umbrellas so we do not pack one.  For the daytime I pack all  long pants and one pair of neema material black pants from Chico’s that can be adjusted to three different lengths in case it gets warm.  I kept them at full length this trip!  Fortunately I had a sweater only because I brought the rest of the outfit and a long sleeved emergency fleece.   The damp makes you feel cold. You really have to be prepared for anything in the med in May or at least be prepared to buy something so that you are comfortable. 

• Like 1