Viking Sky Investigation

Haworth

14 hours ago, Pyroforyou said:

Where do I find the ignore button so I can ignore Captain Morgan and his negative comments?

Go to a post by the person to you wish to ignore. Use your curser to hover over the screen name of that person and scroll down to the Ignore User option in the box that appears. I learned this for the exact same reason, and it is the only time I have used the process. Be aware, if someone else quotes the ignored poster, you will still see the comments you are hoping to avoid.

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 1

You can also monitor or add to "Ignored User" at the top right of the screen. Select your user name, scroll down to ignored users. It provides a list of any users you have blocked and also permits further additions, but you must search for the user name.

I can confirm it works well, in lieu of the post you receive a message advising you have blocked the user. However, if quoted by others you still see them.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 12:25 PM, Boatdrill said:

It seems as if Viking and the NAIB can't win here.

-If guests were contacted ONLY by the NAIB, people would complain that their private contact information was provided to NAIB by Viking, without their permission.  

-If the NAIB didn't  provide an optional survey for passengers, people would complain that the official investigative organization wasn't interested in their experience. 

-If Viking didn't assist the NAIB with providing an optional survey, people would say that Viking was trying to hide something. 

Carry on. 

Spot on, Boatdrill. Well put.

Damned if you do; damned if you don't.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 6:01 AM, DGHOC said:

I do find it rather bizarre that some members here seem to have an extraordinary bias against Viking, yet hang around the Viking threads, constantly trying to disparage and jab at Viking and upset others who are happy with Viking and CHOOSE to travel with Viking. I also find it rather strange that comments can be made about Viking correspondence sent out to the passengers of the 14th March cruise, when that individual hasn't read them or clearly understood them.

Is this a vendetta? Has this person had personal experience of Viking and wants to tarnish their reputation because of some previous upset? I really am rather puzzled about this.

To further clarify: Viking have emailed us with a link to the Accident Investigation Board of Norway (AIBN), who will be conducting a voluntary survey of passengers of the 14th March cruise to allow them to finalise the incident report. This information is confidential and Viking will not be party to the responses.

I have noticed this and wonder the same things myself.  I don’t mind the legitimate complaints - and I have read a few - but this constantly bashing for bashing sake is simply nonproductive.  I have put these people on my ignore list so I’m not wasting my time reading their constant barrage of negativity. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

I have noticed this and wonder the same things myself.  I don’t mind the legitimate complaints - and I have read a few - but this constantly bashing for bashing sake is simply nonproductive.  I have put these people on my ignore list so I’m not wasting my time reading their constant barrage of negativity. 

I am with you.  I just call it "fake news".....😎🍺

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

Just recieved the AIBN passenger survey - interesting to recollect the circumstances of those 24 hours or so, as well as to report suggestions for greater passenger safety going forward.

...received...hadn't finished my first quart of coffee when I posted this...🙄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Just recieved the AIBN passenger survey - interesting to recollect the circumstances of those 24 hours or so, as well as to report suggestions for greater passenger safety going forward.

Just completed mine, certainly brought back the memories, I don't want to post here what it is but I strongly believe that one clear recommendation will come out from passenger feedback

• 4 months later...

Viking may have offered assurances to its passengers that any e-mail address would be used only by Viking, and not shared with third parties. And, it may be subject to the laws of many countries that this assurance will be honored.  In the European Union, data privacy is a serious matter. In the US, not so much.

It may be that Viking is acting in a manner to assure that its one action conforms to the legal practice of the most restrictive jurisdiction represented by its travelers.

10 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Viking may have offered assurances to its passengers that any e-mail address would be used only by Viking, and not shared with third parties. And, it may be subject to the laws of many countries that this assurance will be honored.  In the European Union, data privacy is a serious matter. In the US, not so much.

It may be that Viking is acting in a manner to assure that its one action conforms to the legal practice of the most restrictive jurisdiction represented by its travelers.

Data privacy is the Grand Illusion of our times. US government agencies and US based companies (think Amazon, Facebook, and Google) are surveilling the entire planet. And the UK has cornered the market with CCTV surveillance. Orwell and Huxley were prescient. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hanoj said:

Data privacy is the Grand Illusion of our times. US government agencies and US based companies (think Amazon, Facebook, and Google) are surveilling the entire planet. And the UK has cornered the market with CCTV surveillance. Orwell and Huxley were prescient. 

That may be true, and I think it is.  But Viking is well advised not to simply hand over e-mail addresses given (solely) for one purpose to a government agency.  Far more prudent to seek permission.

Not just the US and UK specialize in surveillance, of course. Plenty of competition in all parts of the world.

2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

That may be true, and I think it is.  But Viking is well advised not to simply hand over e-mail addresses given (solely) for one purpose to a government agency.  Far more prudent to seek permission.

Not just the US and UK specialize in surveillance, of course. Plenty of competition in all parts of the world.

Was it revealed to whom the email addresses were turned over? It may have been to a law enforcement authority. While these threads have focused on Viking and the AIBN (safety investigation), media reported after the Sky returned to port that local law enforcement was conducting their own criminal investigation. I would expect any such criminal investigation would take into account the AIBN findings before reaching any conclusion to dismiss the probe, unless they already reached a conclusion no crime was committed. I don’t recall whether it has been reported there has been conclusion to any criminal investigation.