Your Cruise goals

overalls39

37 minutes ago, Noodles84 said:

I had a visit to all the continents on my bucket list, and will complete that goal this year with a trip to Northern Norway to the Arctic. I wanted to do it on a cruise ship, not a dog sled. Nicole

Nice, I would have thought most cruisers would have had the US and Europe crossed off as the first ones.

I just knocked the number 1 destination (South Georgia Island) off my bucket list.  That leaves me only about 10 or 15 bucket list destinations to go.  In the unlikely chance that I knock all of them off the list, there will still be a long bucket list since I work that as a FIFO situation.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

13 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I have no "goals"...a cruise is simply a vacation.  It's not a race or competition!

Even to enjoy a vacation is a goal...

One of my goals (not the only one) is to visit ancient Roman sites all around the Mediterranean. Explains why I've done so many Med cruises -- or at least that's what I keep telling my family....  :classic_dry:  Unlike the Caribbean, cruises in the Med have a huge variety of ports available. I think I have touched nearly 100 different ones.

Another "goal" is to look for interesting itineraries on the smallest ship I can reasonably afford. 

20 hours ago, mom says said:

Since we both started receiving our old age pensions, the only goal is to cross off as many items from our bucket list as possible while we still can, health wise. This includes both land and cruise vacations. We always have 2 trips in the planning stages - one is usually a cruise. We prefer itineraries with ports that are new to us.

An exception is this winter. After an exhausting month long cruise last year, I had requested a lazy 2 weeks at a Caribbean AI this winter. But the prices of our favorite places were high. I bet my DH that we could cruise for a lot less. And I was right. We just booked a B2B, and the Ports are of little interest to us this time, as we've visited them several times already. We'll probably only get off the ship 2 or 3 times and simply enjoy the relaxation and service on board.

That's almost our last situation for the past couple of cruises. My DH has leg problems and (as of right now) can't walk but a few steps at a time so any long treks or excursions aren't possible so she's content to stay aboard and enjoy pool. I love walking all around the ship, both inside and out, and enjoy the beauty of the ship and most of the 'goofy' funny antics of the young passengers. Weve always booked a balcony because we both love the beautiful ocean, sitting out there in the late afternoon discussing the day, enjoying the quiet an the breezes. I hate knowing there will cone a day when,,,,. Oh well, enjoy it as long as we're able !

Mac

• Like 1

On June 1, 2019 at 10:32 PM, Noodles84 said:

I had a visit to all the continents on my bucket list, and will complete that goal this year with a trip to Northern Norway to the Arctic. I wanted to do it on a cruise ship, not a dog sled. Nicole

Good for you!  Setting foot on all the continents was one of my bucket list goals, too.  Having reached that goal with my husband has been one of the happiest moments of my life.

Dog-sledding is on my new bucket list, lol.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Perhaps a couple of inclinations (“goals” seems too serious a concept):  looking for more relaxing times - finding cruises which leave from close to home, or from distant ports worth a pre- or post- land stay;  piggy-backing a trans-Atlantic on land travel in Europe;  finding the right size ships (perhaps 2,500 passengers is absolute maximum);  being open to modification - getting off a Celebrity T/A early in New York rather than completing itinerary to FL :  avoiding flight home is worth giving up a few days cruising - when a large part of the point was a comfortable trip home.  No longer compromising on accommodations.

I don't cruise simply for the sake of cruising and therefore have no "cruise goals."  What I have are travel goals some of which are more efficiently achieved by sea.  Mine include the Arctic, Antarctic, a transatlantic crossing, Easter Island/Christian Island and perhaps the Panama Canal.  Other travel goals will be achieved by more satisfying modes of travel. 

In giving this question some thought, it is clear that I have multiple goals:

• Get away for a few days or weeks
  • Not visit any airports
  • Pack/Unpack once at the beginning and, then, again at the end.
  • See ocean wildlife
  • Smell the sea air
  • Have somebody else make the bed
  • Have somebody else cook meals
  • Have somebody else clear the table and clean the dishes

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

I don't cruise simply for the sake of cruising and therefore have no "cruise goals."  What I have are travel goals some of which are more efficiently achieved by sea.  Mine include the Arctic, Antarctic, a transatlantic crossing, Easter Island/Christian Island and perhaps the Panama Canal.  Other travel goals will be achieved by more satisfying modes of travel. 

I suppose we are similar in that regard, although we like to tie a cruise in when visiting a region if possible.

Antarctica 

Thats about it really...possibly an TA but we don't want Cunard and our jobs mean we can only travel in the School holidays which makes many voyages tricky.We have thought about cruises that cross the international date line too.

We have tried a lot of lines and have visited a lot of countries (both cruise and land trips) so don't have cruise goals specifically but have other travel goals. We are still in our early thirties so fingers crossed for plenty of time.

Edited by Velvetwater

We have visited many of our shared bucket list sites.

DW-every covered bridge in the world, Greek islands, Roman ruins, Galapagos, Antarctica, National Parks

Me-  Antarctica, Galapagos, every US National Park, Roman ruins, Greek islands,  7 continents, scenic train trips, 3 walls, Great wall of China, Hadrian's wall and Berlin wall remnant

Achieved- 575 covered bridges, China  and Hadrian's walls, about 180 US Parks, another 30 worldwide, Antarctica, Galapagos, Santorini, Mykonos Ephesus, Parthenon, Toronto to Vancouver rr trip, 48 U.S. states, 7 Canadian provinces, 5 continents(missing Australia and Africa), about 50 countries, various day rr trips, U.S., Switzerland, Norway, Canada.

Mexico Copper Canyon rr trip.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

We have visited many of our shared bucket list sites.

DW-every covered bridge in the world, Greek islands, Roman ruins, Galapagos, Antarctica, National Parks

Me-  Antarctica, Galapagos, every US National Park, Roman ruins, Greek islands,  7 continents, scenic train trips, 3 walls, Great wall of China, Hadrian's wall and Berlin wall remnant

Achieved- 575 covered bridges, China  and Hadrian's walls, about 180 US Parks, another 30 worldwide, Antarctica, Galapagos, Santorini, Mykonos Ephesus, Parthenon, Toronto to Vancouver rr trip, 48 U.S. states, 7 Canadian provinces, 5 continents(missing Australia and Africa), about 50 countries, various day rr trips, U.S., Switzerland, Norway, Canada.

Mexico Copper Canyon rr trip.

About time you make it to Australia then. Perhaps cross off a few of the most visited parks here as well. The Great Barrier Reef, Kakadu, Uluru and the Blue Mountains.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:27 PM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I usually have 2 goals on a cruise

1.  Don’t get fat

2. Never take the elevator (always stairs). Refer to goal # 1

I fail at both of those, used to always use the stairs, can’t anymore, but even them would put ona kg or two.

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

About time you make it to Australia then. Perhaps cross off a few of the most visited parks here as well. The Great Barrier Reef, Kakadu, Uluru and the Blue Mountains.

DW says no Australia while her mom is alive(now 98).  It is on our shared bucket list.  I may even hook up with some cousins that I met in Ireland at last family reunion.   Two of my grandfather's siblings emigrated to Oz.

I would like to visit all of those Parks.

Next year is a 50th anniversary Caribbean cruise with DD, DSIL and 3 DGC, 2 of whom have Cystic Fibrosis.  Very big deal and a bucket list item.

Our goal before retirement was to get to Elite on Princess so we could have free laundry. My goal since retiring two years ago has been to take three or four cruises a year. We managed three my first year of retirement but only two last year. The second cruise, though, added up to three weeks away by the time we added in touring in England before getting on the ship for a crossing. 

I have two cruises booked back to back for later this month. DH has to work, so they'll be my first solo cruises. I talked with a travel agent today about booking another transatlantic for this fall. 

4 hours ago, Tom47 said:

DW says no Australia while her mom is alive(now 98).  It is on our shared bucket list.  I may even hook up with some cousins that I met in Ireland at last family reunion.   Two of my grandfather's siblings emigrated to Oz.

I would like to visit all of those Parks.

Next year is a 50th anniversary Caribbean cruise with DD, DSIL and 3 DGC, 2 of whom have Cystic Fibrosis.  Very big deal and a bucket list item.

We are not going anywhere so waiting isn't so bad although the Reef will just not be the same in a few years time.

We view cruises as an add on to an extended land vacation.   If we are close to a port, physically or by air/rail, we keep an eye open for late booking cruises. Our travel plans are typically very flexible.  Makes it very easy to change our plans in order to take advantage of a good offer(s).

On 6/1/2019 at 6:36 AM, SmoothFlying said:

In other words what would be the deciding factor, 'wealth OR health'. Id be interested in your remarks.

Mac

I found your post and this question interesting.  Not really a responsive answer, but I would put peace of mind at the top of the list.   

Anyway, there are some really great objectives being shared.   Great thread!! 

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

I found your post and this question interesting.  Not really a responsive answer, but I would put peace of mind at the top of the list.   

Anyway, there are some really great objectives being shared.   Great thread!! 

I agree with you completely, about the many interesting points of view concerning how we view cruising in our life. Someone here had a good point that actually it's a mixture of both things that affect our decisions too cruise or not, health AND wealth. It's simply a matter of having enough of both.

Mac