Interesting ob cabin assignments

wesport

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

I imagine that not giving great upgrades to loyal club members might have something to do with reminding us that should we really want that V6, we need to pay for it in advance.

Exactly - I made a very similar observation earlier in this thread. If they allocated the OBs in priority order of club membership level instead of randomly as it seems they do, it wouldn't take very long before everyone worked that out. So after sailing a few cruises many more club members would pay the minimum OB fare and know they'd have an almost 100% chance of picking up one of the higher-priced suites. By keeping it, at least seemingly, random every time we book we at least think, should we play the lottery again or pay the uplift and be certain and I'm sure many others do too. Last cruise we were late enough it really wasn't an option, it was OB or V8 and the difference was just crazy so we bought a lottery ticket for that one. 

• Like 1

HPSOV, we were assigned 621 and liked it very much.  You will hear nothing at all from the elevator.  This puts you down the hall from the Club--handy for late night partying if you are so inclined.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are booked on Sojourn for 14 day Alaska Aug. 31st-Sept. 14 in an OB.  We have done this several times on various lines and ships and have never been disappointed, but, if you get a cabin you wouldn't have chosen, I guess you should accept or choose as this is not a guarantee of a particular room but of a category level.  Having said that, I'm secretly hoping for a Penthouse!

4 hours ago, wildcat68 said:

The main concern for me is not knowing your actual assignment until just before the cruise.  Last December we sailed on Viking Ocean and received our cabin assignment in June.  That’s unusual.

Why is this a concern?  Just curious.  Finding out sooner would not change anything.  If you sign up for an OB with SB, not finding out until just before the cruise is just part of it.  I figure that there is a reason for this.  People are still deciding to join the voyage and selecting their own suite numbers.  Right before the voyage, this is all completed and SB can assign from the remaining suites.  

I guess it’s not a concern but more anticipation.  I’ve seen posts when people were leaving for the ship without knowing their cabin and some get “antsy”.  There is a certain amount of fun hoping for the big upgrade, or, just not knowing.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:48 PM, wildcat68 said:

We are booked on Sojourn for 14 day Alaska Aug. 31st-Sept. 14 in an OB.  We have done this several times on various lines and ships and have never been disappointed, but, if you get a cabin you wouldn't have chosen, I guess you should accept or choose as this is not a guarantee of a particular room but of a category level.  Having said that, I'm secretly hoping for a Penthouse!

We’ve done almost 10 cruises on SB as OB. We have always gotten our room our assignment 10 - 14 days out and have never been disappointed in the suite assigned to us.  Every veranda suite is the same (except for the HC ones) and it just comes down to location. We love having the same suite no matter which SB ship we’re on and always feel home when we get on board. It’s a real Awwww moment when we first walk into our suite after a long journey to get there. Champagne awaits and the vacation begins. 

Give up hoping for a PH suite as they almost always the first suites to book up.  If you don’t expect it you won’t be disappointed. 😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, raphael360 said:

We’ve done almost 10 cruises on SB as OB. We have always gotten our room our assignment 10 - 14 days out and have never been disappointed in the suite assigned to us.  Every veranda suite is the same (except for the HC ones) and it just comes down to location. We love having the same suite no matter which SB ship we’re on and always feel home when we get on board. It’s a real Awwww moment when we first walk into our suite after a long journey to get there. Champagne awaits and the vacation begins. 

Give up hoping for a PH suite as they almost always the first suites to book up.  If you don’t expect it you won’t be disappointed. 😀

Hoping for a Penthouse but expecting deck 5 or 6 in a veranda which is very nice.

I’ll bet you get a higher deck maybe even 8 but here’s the good news.  All of the suites are excellent:). Cruise ships sell suites top down and bottom up. Penthouse suites and V1/V2 suites sell first so deck 5 and 6 are the first to sell.  I’ve been on every deck (except the penthouse deck) and they are all great.  Let not your heart be troubled.  

On 6/7/2019 at 8:29 PM, texanaust said:

You missed the 'at a realistic price' part.  The reason Seabourn is giving away the suites to guarantees is that they cannot upsell them at $6000pp.

So you'd think that they would optimize their algorithm and sell them for $4,000 or $3,000 or $2,500 or whatever would result in a sale. Why not pull in more revenue and instead randomly give away upgrades some users would pay a 'realistic price' for? 

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

So you'd think that they would optimize their algorithm and sell them for $4,000 or $3,000 or $2,500 or whatever would result in a sale. Why not pull in more revenue and instead randomly give away upgrades some users would pay a 'realistic price' for? 

Probably to 'protect' passengers paying full price.  SB gets a lot of complaints from customers paying X price and then seeing their vacation discounted by 2,3,4K+ after final payment.  Same holds true for discounting the high-end suites just before sailing.

I just booked a SV GTY for the April 2020 Trans-Atlantic from Miami to Barcelona.  I'm not really concerned about location.  I'm sailing solo and the SV GTY offered a lower single supplement.  

Edited by hencoll

• 2 weeks later...