Bermuda Shorts

I'm so thankful that I am not bothered by what others wear. I would find it more offensive sitting at a table with someone who kept looking at what other people were wearing then having a convention with me. To the OP- I would suggest for your son to bring pants and shorts. So if he feels underdressed he can simple change. Happy Cruising!!!!!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bradpole said:

I can’t believe I’m commenting on yet another dress code thread but that statement has always been my opinion!  Finally glad to read someone else who uses common sense.  I’ve never understood the fuss people make over shorts!

Ignoring suggested dress standards on a cruise ship is not "common sense".  What a shockingly arrogant thing to think.  Suggestions are exactly that, suggestions! The cruise line is making a suggestion to enhance the experience of all passengers. There are always going toe people that want to drag the standards to their lowest possible level every opportunity.  Pleaser don't call ignoring those people common sense.  

Common sense is not jumping of your starboard balcony. Common sense is not allowing your dog to defecate in the elevators then walking away (see the dog thread). Common sense is not hogging lounge chairs that you may or may not use with a towel.  Whatever it might be ignoring cruise line suggestions for dress is not common sense nor is pretending that these folks don't have an impact on other peoples experience.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

Let me poise this question?  If we are teaching our children that it is ok to bend the rules/suggestions in this case how do they decide when it is ok and when it isn't?  Many years ago my son was a small 12 year old.  We were eating in a restaurant that at 12 and above paid adult prices.  He has always been a small eater and didn't eat more that a 5 year old would.  The decision was did I lie about his age-teaching him it is ok to bend the rules? or do I set an example and pay the correct amount?  I believe that when we make these decisions we are teaching lessons to our children and others who are watching.  I know this is an old fashioned idea, but maybe something to think about in the future when you are bending the rules/suggestions.  Also, I find the comment about the south to be very offensive. It is amazing the thread this can weave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

..eventually there are enforced rules based on abuses by a few.

Yeah - they are going to make them walk the plank with a tie in their hand!🤣😂

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

What was a long-standing and nice tradition of formal night has virtually been

Formal nights are for old farts - they die and so does this thing from the past.....it is dead already!👍

#shortsrule

4 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It could still happen some day if the passengers fighting, falling overboard, and abusing other passengers continue as they have in recent times. Again...it's a few potentially ruining things for the majority of non-abusers.

You really belive this?🤔🙄😱🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Caps were never allowed at our dining table in our home when I was growing up. Caps should never be allowed at any dining table. There......I said it again and it is not amusing.

I find that comment so hillarious......I need to get a cap for my next cruise!😁

• Like 1

This definitely seems to be a case of people wanting others to conform even when what they are doing is not hurting or affecting anyone else in any way. I think I can wear shorts and still be respectful to the other diners. That said rci could poll people before cruise and if there is enough interest they could enforce the rule on 1 floor of mdr and not the others so everyone can wear what they want without disturbing the others. I'm definitely not packing formal because I already have enough to deal with handling all luggage and a dh in a wheelchair. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but you have no idea why people make the decisions they do and really don't need to judge them for doing what is best for them 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Vlgg731 said:

Let me poise this question?  If we are teaching our children that it is ok to bend the rules/suggestions in this case how do they decide when it is ok and when it isn't?  Many years ago my son was a small 12 year old.  We were eating in a restaurant that at 12 and above paid adult prices.  He has always been a small eater and didn't eat more that a 5 year old would.  The decision was did I lie about his age-teaching him it is ok to bend the rules? or do I set an example and pay the correct amount?  I believe that when we make these decisions we are teaching lessons to our children and others who are watching.  

Actually in this case I would discuss this with my child, present both scenarios and have them decide what they think is correct and understand the consequences of their answer. Then they learn both critical thinking and also start to make their own judgments about how they want to live their life. I'd want them to be able to argue both sides of the question and decide for themselves, 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I see it as those who want to dress formal and preaching to others are the few  and far between. It has nothing to do with the drink package or being on vacation. 

You clearly missed the point. That's fine. Some people care about the future of cruising and others don't. So be it.

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

You really belive this?🤔🙄😱🤣

Nope...no one belives anything.

Now as far as beliefs...I'm of the firm conviction people who don't flaunt questionable practices via avatars are more valued customers than those who do...and they're better at English spelling and cruise attire as well.

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Ignoring suggested dress standards on a cruise ship is not "common sense".  What a shockingly arrogant thing to think.  Suggestions are exactly that, suggestions! The cruise line is making a suggestion to enhance the experience of all passengers. There are always going toe people that want to drag the standards to their lowest possible level every opportunity.  Pleaser don't call ignoring those people common sense.  

Common sense is not jumping of your starboard balcony. Common sense is not allowing your dog to defecate in the elevators then walking away (see the dog thread). Common sense is not hogging lounge chairs that you may or may not use with a towel.  Whatever it might be ignoring cruise line suggestions for dress is not common sense nor is pretending that these folks don't have an impact on other peoples experience.

Sorry... I really don't see how someone choosing to wear shorts impacts my vacation one bit, it doesn't.  If they choose to feel out of place, that's their problem, not mine.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bradpole said:

Sorry... I really don't see how someone choosing to wear shorts impacts my vacation one bit, it doesn't.  If they choose to feel out of place, that's their problem, not mine.  

That specific example doesn't impact anyone as you stated. 

2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I find that comment so hillarious......I need to get a cap for my next cruise!😁

Cool...and a matching shirt would complete the outfit...along with the Bermuda Shorts referenced in the original post. Quite dapper on formal nights.

Pineapple Guy.jpg

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I like to stare at men in shorts in the dining room and kinda shake my head. I think I’m going to start doing a wolf whistle  when men walk by my table in shorts. I have the ability to disguise where it’s coming from.

Edited by Artemus

7 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I like to stare at men in shorts in the dining room and kinda shake my head. I think I’m going to start doing a wolf whistle  when men walk by my table in shorts. I have the ability to disguise where it’s coming from.

Yes, it will add dignity to the Dining experience.  Perhaps some will wolf whistle your wife, get everyone in the act. 

• Like 1

Since the days or Socrates the elders have been complaining about the demise of civilization as years go by.  Anyone who sees wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner as symbolic of the end of civilization needs to spend a few more dollars and cruise on more expensive cruises where such atrocities are not tolerated.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

Yeah that would make me walk back and forth!😀😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Caps were never allowed at our dining table in our home when I was growing up. Caps should never be allowed at any dining table. There......I said it again and it is not amusing.

When I was growing up, we were allowed to wear caps AND shorts to the dinner table.  Therefore, caps and shorts should always be allowed in the MDR.  I like this system!🍻

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Artemus said:

What an enjoyable vacation! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can't we all agree to disagree?  Life is way too short to worry about 20 plus inches of cloth.  Some of the most expensive cruise lines such as Regent and Viking have very relaxed dress codes.   It makes total sense for a main-stream cruise line to allow folks to dress as they wish if they are to continue to grow their business.    If folks want to adhere to a dress code, I strongly suggest that they sail on Cunard as they still adhere to strict enforcement of their dress codes.     

• Like 3

In my experience dress codes are more strictly enforced at land resorts than on cruises.  At one resort in the Dominican - DH was turned away from a specialty restaurant for dress shorts and birkenstocks.   His response, "well if I have to dress up, we might as well just stick with cruising"  🙂

In all our cruises, I have only seen one Maitre'D enforce the dress code - and that was on Eurodam at BREAKFAST, a guest was turned away for a sleeveless shirt and a baseball cap.  

Although we generally prefer to dress up, I have no objection to anyone who wants to push the dress code.  I've seen it all including jeans and an offensive graphic t-shirt on formal night.  I think the "evening chic" approach of Celebrity will soon replace formal night and "wear what you want" will soon replace smart casual.  And as someone else noted - these ships are becoming floating amusement parks which doesn't exactly align with dressing up for dinner.  

On 6/1/2019 at 1:51 PM, doones2 said:

I can’t remember if Bermuda shorts are ok to wear in the main dining room.

You were there a couple yrs ago. You can't remember????

You deemed the food lousy after eating there only once and never went back. You are actually going to eat there more than once this time and don't want to wear dinner attire. Wear your shorts in the windjammer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2