Bermuda Shorts

1 hour ago, 3CatsInMA said:
2 hours ago, Pipo said:

Yes, Bermuda shorts are admitted in the MDR for dinner, but: it's a very disgusting, low level, unnecessary, and a complete no-no way to dress.

.....in your opinion.

BTW..."very disgusting"???  Gotta love Cruise Critic!

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I've seen nicer legs on men wearing shorts than I've seen on women wearing short dresses.

• Haha 2

So I was in MTD last night. Couldn't find my friends so wandered around the entire room twice. Any you know what; since everyone is sitting down I couldn't see what they were wearing as pants. After I sat down, since we weren't facing the entrance I didn't see anyone else come in. So, probably shorts, I wore a dress, bet there were some people in jeans. Nobody was paying the slightest bit if attention to anyone else, as noted by the fact that I ran around the restaurant twice and only the waiters noticed. 

20 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Surprisingly, my cruise out of Galveston, TX last fall probably had the highest % of people following the dress code,

This was our experience on Liberty last November.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Especially after all that I had read on Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

This was our experience on Liberty last November.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Especially after all that I had read on Cruise Critic.

Yep, Liberty was the ship I was on. The week after you. In fact, I read your live review to get into the cruising frame of mind.

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yep, Liberty was the ship I was on. The week after you. In fact, I read your live review to get into the cruising frame of mind.

Now when we were on Mariner in April the standard was much lower.  I expected that on a short weekend cruise though.  We only ate in specialty dining in that one so I don't know what the MDR looked like.  Most folks were casual without being slovenly.  It really wasn't bad.

37 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I think I read somewhere that the decline and fall of the Roman empire was caused by men wearing casual toga's and sandals and not their formal toga's. 😀

And they say a high school education isn't worth anything anymore...

🤣 😂 😁

42 minutes ago, Whizbank said:

So I was in MTD last night. Couldn't find my friends so wandered around the entire room twice. Any you know what; since everyone is sitting down I couldn't see what they were wearing as pants. After I sat down, since we weren't facing the entrance I didn't see anyone else come in. So, probably shorts, I wore a dress, bet there were some people in jeans. Nobody was paying the slightest bit if attention to anyone else, as noted by the fact that I ran around the restaurant twice and only the waiters noticed. 

If you had one of these, you could've compelled diners to stand and submit to an inspection.

cc fashion police.png

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:
1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

towards dress code 

There is no code.... Just a suggestion! 👍 🙃

I was going to write "suggested dress code". But that's too many letters. I'm a casual typer. 😃

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

My 2 cruises out of the NY/NJ metro area probably had the lowest % of people following the dress code. Could be timing as well as both were in late May/early June after a very long, cool, wet spring and people were bustin to wear summer clothing.

Surprisingly, my cruise out of Galveston, TX last fall probably had the highest % of people following the dress code, especially on formal nights. I say "surprisingly" since Texas has a more casual attitude towards dress code (from all the ship reviews I've read) while NY is a fashionista capital. Go figure.

Fashion has no rules. Even a ball cap and wife beater are fashion. New York has become more casual. Even at the Metropolitan Opera House you will find people wearing jeans and sneakers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Maybe on THAT specific cruise...but we've seen the opposite scenario on cruises as well ( virtually no one wearing shorts in the MDR). That last point is interesting...perhaps you might be on the "nobody cares" or "anything goes" ship/port/itinerary (including the crew). Unfortunate.

Last night we had the best waiter service. Theresa was on her game. It was the first time since I boarded on the 6th that anyone asked us if we wanted a second drink. We all have a drink package in one form or another. She brought extra bread without being asked. I filled out a comment card for her. Excellent. It was a late port day too so the dining room was busy.

50 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Last night we had the best waiter service. Theresa was on her game. It was the first time since I boarded on the 6th that anyone asked us if we wanted a second drink. We all have a drink package in one form or another. She brought extra bread without being asked. I filled out a comment card for her. Excellent. It was a late port day too so the dining room was busy.

Nice! It happens. 🙂

49 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Did she take the initial drink order as she was handing out the menus?   

Many years ago after playing golf in Hong Kong, the sign on the dining room said "men must wear long paints or over the knee socks (I actually think the sign said hose) ".  Yes there were many men in shorts and over the knee socks.  I opted for the long pants, but maybe that would be acceptable in the MDR.

New cruise look - sandals, knee high back socks, wife beater, hat on backwards and a laynard.   

7 hours ago, fscool said:

Did she take the initial drink order as she was handing out the menus?   

No her assistant did. She spoiled us because all week we were just accepting the service that was provided. Tonight I actually had to get up and walk to Vintages half way through dinner to get a glass of wine for my wife and a Diet Coke for myself. On the way back I mentioned the horrendous service to the one of the staff who was seating people. They sent the head waiter Juan Carlos over to our table. It’s the first time I have seen him since we boarded. 

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

No her assistant did. She spoiled us because all week we were just accepting the service that was provided. Tonight I actually had to get up and walk to Vintages half way through dinner to get a glass of wine for my wife and a Diet Coke for myself. On the way back I mentioned the horrendous service to the one of the staff who was seating people. They sent the head waiter Juan Carlos over to our table. It’s the first time I have seen him since we boarded. 

Theresa and her assistant sound like they know exactly how to do their jobs.  Last year on LOS we had to ask to place our first drink order and also ask about a 2nd round of drinks.  We weren't sure if perhaps it was a hidden MDR policy to really slow down drink orders since we were all on the deluxe plan.  It's not like we are looking to get drunk or anything but there is a right away to do things.....

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I take it you are doing MTD? Just wondering you are seated in different sections each night?

The first couple of times we did MTD, we had a different table/waiter each night. But we did walk-up (no reservations).  Last 2 cruises however, we had the same table/waiter for the duration of the cruise even though our dining times were all over the map. The only difference was that we reserved our dining times prior to the cruise and more-or-less stuck to them.  Just wondering if make the reservations was key to getting the same table.